(Update below the jump)
Apparently, the Army withdrew the movement orders for Major Stefan Cook, the fella we wrote about yesterday who refused to deploy to Afghanistan based on his belief that President Barack Obama isn’t a US citizen. According to the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer;
Lt. Col. Maria Quon, U.S. Army Public Affairs Officer, U.S. Army Human Resources Command-St. Louis, said Tuesday evening Cook was no longer expected to report Wednesday to MacDill Air Force Base in Florida for mobilization to active duty.
Cook is an Individual Mobilization Augmentee, meaning he is a reserve soldier assigned to an active component unit for duty. He is assigned to the U.S. Army Element of U.S. Southern Command. Last week Cook filed a request in federal court through his California-based attorney, Orly Taitz, seeking a temporary restraining order and status as a conscientious objector.
So, Major Numbnuts avoided some jail time, and the Obama Administration renews the paranoia from the birthers. I can hardly blame the Army wanting to be free of the antics of Orly Taintz, Cook’s dentist-turned-real estate agent-turned-lawyer-turned crackpot nirther, but they must realize how this makes the whole thing look.
Me? I’m more concerned about the impending health care atrocity and the deficit. And Cook is still a criminal and the Left is still hypocritical for not supporting him.
Speaking of hypocrisy, Keith Olbermann named Cook and Taint the “worst person in the world” for being “an embarrassment to all those who have served without cowardice.” I don’t remember him calling any other evader “worst person in the world”. And then some how Olbermann makes it about “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” like his buddy Jon Soltz would, I’m sure.
The Cook story comes in at about 2:40 in this video;
UPDATED: Greyhawk discovers some nefarious stuff going on;
Returning now to the news of Cook’s “victory”, here’s the reported explanation for the Army’s decision:
Earlier today, Quon said Cook submitted a formal written request to Human Resources Command-St. Louis on May 8, 2009 volunteering to serve one year in Afghanistan with Special Operations Command, U.S. Army Central Command, beginning July 15, 2009. The soldier’s orders were issued on June 9, Quon said.
“A reserve soldier who volunteers for an active duty tour may ask for a revocation of orders up until the day he is scheduled to report for active duty,” Quon said.
In short – Cook never had to go in the first place. Unlike most soldiers who deploy as part of a unit, Cook – a reservist – had volunteered to go as an individual augmentee. The Army generally seeks volunteers to fill such assignments first – if no one does so then a non-volunteer is tapped.
So it looks like he volunteered for a deployment just to make a federal case out the birth certificate. That still doesn’t let the Left off the hook, though.