The $16m phony vet

| April 21, 2011 | 8 Comments

Greg sends us a link to a New York Daily News story of a phony vet exercsing his right to free speech by scamming the government;

A Manhattan federal jury said John Anthony Raymond White and his firm, Mitsubishi Construction Corp., bid on contracts the VA awarded under the Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business Program.

White at times claimed he hurt his back while a Navy ROTC; other times he said he was in Special Forces.

The jury concluded he was always a fraud – and he faces up to 75 years in jail and $3.7 million in fines when sentenced.

He won several contracts, including a $5.7 million job in 2009 to build a flood wall around the Veterans Administration Medical Center on E. 23rd St. in Manhattan.

“Those contracts were supposed to go to real veterans,” prosecutor Virgil Bragg said.

Eventually, the VA got suspicious and discovered White has a rap sheet for forgery and grand larceny.

White ultimately told the VA he was not a vet.

1. Dave Thul says:

“Stolen valor is a victimless crime.”

Keep repeating until you believe it.

2. VTWoody says:

I’m actually fine with this. The small business administration is a joke. Forcing the govt to buy from “small businesses” which mainly result in large businesses just being brokered by these entities that meet some sba requirement is nothing but adding costs to what the government buys. The more examples of why having set asides for small businesses, women/minority/veteran owned ends up causing issues, the sooner we can hope to get rid of those requirements and let actual manufacturers compete

3. Adirondack Patriot says:

What’s incredible is that no one at the VA verified this guy’s status from the start! We’re not talking about some phony vet getting over on a hayseed newspaper reporter with sea stories. We’re talking about the VA who should already have his records. He punked the clueless VA and received “several contracts” with them?

Someone at VA needs to lose their job.

4. VTWoody says:

I don’t think its the VA but rather the Small business Admin that verifies people and signs them up in the system. Its like an owner putting his company in his wifes name to be listed as a women owned business, or large companies that “buy” 49% of a business owned by a minority so they can qualify for government contracts while they remain a huge entity (worthington steel). I’d say half of all compaies that’s are “small business” are a fraud

5. Adirondack Patriot says:

VTWoody: I think you’re right. I stand corrected.

6. Bobo says:

That’s the same VA that consistently treats people with no military service for military related disabilities.

7. Joseph Brown says:

I bought a transmisson shop in the late ’80s and was told by a rep in the college town the shop was in that getting a VA loan was a shoo-in. So I filled out my paperwork, mailed it in, and the VA mailed me back and basically told me, el tuffo shitto. Twelve year active duty vet wasn’t no big thing.

8. If your spouce owes a state or federal secured or tax debt before you got married you can file a injured spouce form along with your return then they will take only half of your return this happened to me via a student loan from my wife before we were married they kept my whole return then i sent in this form and a week or so later they sent back half of the return or just simply file married filing seperate that will stop it you might still get half of what you would if filing married filing joint because of a greater tax break