Info request on probable phony

| April 24, 2012 | 207 Comments

Mary at POW Network is asking if there’s anyone out there who has served in one of the following units in 2009;

1/4 Cav Iraq
1/9 Cav
27th Cav
Bulldog Company
Black Jack Command Team
Deuce Four Legionaires
Artic Wolves Brigade of the 1st Stryker Btigade Combat Team
25th INF Div

The person she’s looking at also claims that his Stryker vehicle was hit by RPG March 7 2009 – injuring all 5 “of his squad.” He “returned to American for medical treatment.”

He also claims that he went on 66 foot patrols. If you served in one of those units, you’d remember the guy even if you don’t remember his name – he’s 82 years old. Yeah, I know.

The distance from Albania to the Czech/Slovak area is about 645 miles as the crow flies, and over rough terrain – mountains – which create updrafts, wind sheer, and downdrafts that would flatten any plane that has been disabled.

See, it’s this peculiar notion that no one could possibly find out anything about those places and events that gets me.

2. Hack Stone says:

Albania, Czechoslovakia. What’s the big deal? Plenty of people confuse North Dakota with South Dakota.

Yes, but the Dakotas don’t have werewolves, Hack.

4. Hack Stone says:

Ex-PH2@154, haven’t you seen that Kevin Costner film, “Dances With Werewolves”?

Hack! LMS! This is why I come here.

6. BK says:

Disgusting.

Throw in some Shoah survivors into the story and I imagine I’ll weep enough through the nausea induced by the evolution of your paratroop story. There was no “Brigade.” There was barely a company. Perhaps you can answer why you don’t appear in any of Bowden’s recollections of the formation of the unit, if not Palgi’s autobiography. And I note that you go from your own description of, and I paraphrase, “at age 21, commander of Israel’s First Airborne Brigade”, a brigade which didn’t exist at the time you claim, and now it’s, “I was an officer, didn’t even know my rank.” It is utterly astounding that for these exploits, you appear nowhere in any Mahal archives, AT ALL, when far more obscure non-Jewish participants do. Seriously, the only person advancing your narrative at all is YOU.

Don’t answer to the timing of your Air Force Reserve discharge with basic Airman within the same time frame. Just keep evolving your grand dookie as if it will suddenly sound truer. I’m done. This guy’s a fraud. At least for my part, I can get the word out through the JWV, which has a heavy presence in Nevada, that he’s a big fat fraud on at least this front. My daughter with her 3rd grade Zionist education could spot this as road apples from 600 meters.

7. Hack Stone says:

Come for the humor, stay for the posers.

8. Hack Stone says:

Ex-PH2, if you are a fan of the movie A Christmas Story and of Judge Judy, I posted the transcript to a very special Judge Judy episode on the IMDB page for her show.

Yes, indeed.

10. Mustang says:

Regarding post 137, I think you guys should check out Mary (or “Marie” as he calls her). It’s obvious that you are all lambs to do her bidding and that she’s somehow using you to tarnish the reputation of this fine gentleman.

Or, on the flipside, Leeds could have done 30 seconds of research and figured out who Mary is and how important she is to every single regular poster on this site.

11. Hack Stone says:

I believe that Mr. Leed’s book will aslo address when he was embedded with PVT John Ringer when he launched a raid using an Urban Assault Vehicle into Czechoslovakia to rescue his platoon back in 1981. In the movie, he was portrayed by John Candy.

12. O-4E says:

I retire in a year…then it is all coming out boys! My book:

Title? TBD (open to suggestions)

Tag Line: “One man’s exciting 25 year journey from Infantry Private to Logistics Major and the convoluted route he took to get there”

13. Hack Stone says:

O-4E@162, how about “From Here To Inventory”?

SElf correction on post @162, John Winger, not John Ringer. Hack Stone Publishing regrets the error.

14. O-4E says:

“From Here To Inventory”

LMFAO!!!! Love it

A whole chapter is dedicated to the black beret debacle and my individual efforts to get rid of it

15. Jonn Lilyea says:

#161; We didn’t “tarnish” him. We didn’t even know his name until he broadcast it here himself. The discussion was dead since April. Any tarnishing here he did himself.

16. Hack Stone says:

If he has tarnish, he can run down to the PX and pick up a can of Dura-Glit (sp?) Thank God for anodized brass.

17. Mustang says:

@166, that was a joke Jonn ;) Meant to reference post 132 (put 137 by mistake) when he’s calling out Mary.

18. Hack Stone says:

O-4E, much like the televison show Dragnet was based on actual events, but for the sake of artistic license they all occurred” to Joe Friday and Bill Gannon, you have our permission to use portions of our military career as composite material for your book. I’ll get you started.

I was shot down over Tokyo. Specifiaclly, it was Roppingo. July, 1985. I tried using my International Date Line, “Baby, you’re the ichi-est”, but she wasn’t buying it. No luck for Hack. The following week, I was successful, and by the end of the evening was embedded with a Japanese nursing student. Unfortunately, that story has already been published, in the Semptember 1985 issue of Leatherneck Magazine. It was in the letters too the editor section. It started out “Dear Leatherneck, I always thought these stories were made up until it happened to me. I am yound Corporal stationed with a tank company at Camp Fuji…..”

19. Hack Stone says:

@169 – Yikes. Proofread before posting, Hack!!!!

You had Japanese girls fawning over you in Roppongi, Hack? All I could ever pull were the American/Brit girls who came over as English tutors. Might have something to do with the fact I couldn’t afford too many trips up to Tokyo because beer at 1000 yen a pop empties a wallet fast, unless you were at Gas Panic, where it was “only” 300 yen a beer until 9 PM.

21. Hack Stone says:

I remember Gas panic. the only time I was there was the night of my first earthquake, october 6, 1985. A week later, I met the girl who would eventually become my wife (and constantly tells me I am not that funny). I told her if we met the previous week, we could say that the earth moved when we saw each other for the first time. As for Tokyo, when i was there, the Yen was around 230-240 range, which was a bit steep, but you could still have a good time. Then they artificaaly devalued the dollar, and it dropped to about 200 Yen overnight. And it has been going south ever since.

22. martinjmpr says:

I don’t want to ratchet up the paranoia too badly but since “Leed’s” story about being embedded at the age of 82 were allegedly verified, how do we know the “verifiers” are who they say they are? I can create a user ID on the internet and call myself General George Washington but that doesn’t mean that’s who I am.

I understand if the mods here don’t want to reveal their sources & methods but it seems to me that it’s not possible to get deployed to a combat zone these days without leaving a significant paper trail: Applications, approvals, training, acclimatization, medical documents, travel orders, releases, non-disclosure agreements, etc. In the absence of these things and a credible story behind them, I would regard any mere email – even if it comes from a .Mil address – as highly suspect (because it’s very easy to fake an email address.)

As for “Leeds” purported service in the Israeli Airborne Brigade, my question would be what qualifications did he have at the age of 18 or 19 that made the Israeli’s seek him out? By 1948 there were literally tens of thousands of recently discharged paratroopers with combat experience looking for a job and they pick a merchant marine engine wiper? Yeah, that makes sense.

Kind of reminds me of the poser stories about guys who were in their 2nd week of basic training/boot camp when they got pulled out for a “secret mission”, because everyone knows that when it comes to dangerous and complex missions, an 18 year old who’s never even held a gun is the first person you want leading it.

23. O-4E says:

@173…because I contacted the LTC on AKO and received emails from him on his .mil email address which includes his profile

That part is legit

24. O-4E says:

@174 along with a valid scurity certificate on his email

25. martinjmpr says:

The person who posted the similarity between Leeds and Wittgenfeld made a good point. There are enough similarities to make me wonder if this is coming from Wittgenfeld or one of his supporters.

Similarities:

1. The relentless braggadocio, completely uncorroborated and highly suspicious to those of us who understand how the military really works.

2. The repeated statements that he has documents that will “prove” his lies to be true – offers to send copies (but for some reason not to post them on the internet.)

3. Declaration that those who doubt his stories will apologizing once he has “proven” that they are true.

4. The victim mentality – “you guys are all ganging up on me!”

5. The blaming of Mary Schantag and POW Network and the accusation that people on this blog are being ‘used’ by Mary for some nefarious purpose.

About the only thing missing are the legal threats but everything else Wittgenfeldian is there.

@173, and there you have it. Any time someone says something like “I caught the PTSD”, which is not a transmittable disease, you know he’s in desperate need of a visit to the nearest brick outhouse. It’s probably a PSTD, and you don’t want to drink out of the same beer bottle he’s sucking on.

All these secret squirrel children fascinate me. Why don’t they just take up writing novels? They could (maybe) make some quick change from it. Well, maybe not.

O-4E, I think “From Here to Inventory” is a great title. Go for it. Just point out to the missus that it’ll keep you busy and out of her hair.

@177.

They have taken up writing novels.

“Ranger” Stephen Burrell.

Title” My Weekend wih Rita, I mean Rick”

28. martinjmpr says:

@174, 175: Understood. Next question would be, how is it that that fact of an 82 year old embedding with a combat unit in Iraq didn’t make any news reports? You would think that at the very least the local PAO press release from the installation would have said something about it – it’s not like it’s something that happened every day.

I was in Kuwait when the then-oldest enlisted soldier in theater was there. IIRC he was an E-8 who had initially enlisted in the early 60′s and wore a combat patch from the 1st Cav in Vietnam with an Airborne tab over it (there was a short time after the 11th Airborne Division became the 1st Cav when the Cav’s TO&E had 1 “airborne” brigade.) I think he was approaching 60 (and mandatory retirement) when he was there, so you would think the news of an 82 year old going out on patrols with combat units would tickle somebody’s news radar.

29. Virtual Insanity says:

@179

Taking his comments at face value, he did not want the publicity then.

@Martinjmpr, it’s my considered opinion that Wittlessgelding and Leeds are simply two of a kind, two blithering idiots who have the same personality disorder, and they belong to a large order of the same disorder.

The difference between them is that Leeds is busy writing, printing and trying to sell books that no one wants to read,
    from his website, no less.

Wittgenflatus, on the other hand, does nothing with his time but fill the ether with spittle and bile and boisterous but incomprehensible blather.

It’s a lot of fun coming here. I have said this before, and I will say it again, that, with the exceptions of the aforementioned vainglorious basterds Lees and Wittgenfeld, I am in the company of some of the finest rogues on Earth, and the better for it.

@178 – I forgot about him! Thanks!

32. O-4E says:

@179

That is exactly what got me into this. We all kept asking WHY he was embedded. He tap danced around that and continues to do so EVEN after the LTC verified WHY (which is legit I guess) which was to get material for a book he was writing.

From #127: “At the time, he was approved to embed because he was writing a book on modern military culture”

Followed by by #131: “I don’t believe anyone other than General Petraeus knows the real reason I was embedded. It was necessary to use the “author” cover to get my embedding through”

Really? really?

My other question is what kind of vetting did the Army do on this guy? Apparently not much.

33. Virtual Insanity says:

O4-E,

Probably a national agency check and verification he’s an author.

Not much more to do, from a PAO standpoint, I would guess.

Might ask a few questions abouthis health, but the release forms would cover that issue regardless.

34. 2-17 Air Cav says:

I still say he needs to contact Dos Equis. Leeds is, indeed, the most interesting man in the world.

35. O-4E says:

@184..call me crazy…but I would think such a check would try and verify the author was “credible”

A 30 second check would call into question his authorship and if I were General Patreus make me stop and question if this is the guy I want telling our story

What’s to keep my crazy neighboor who writes conspiracy theory articles from getting embedded?

36. Hack Stone says:

Okay, let’s all go with his story that he was on some top secret, double secret probation, mission and was using his cover as an author to mask his intent. Then why is he posting out on the internet, to include the website for his congressional run, that he was in Iraq? Then, when questioned, instead of laying the smoke screen that he was researching a book, he just stirs up some more curiosity. Ladies and gentlemen of blog, I think that we may have inadvertently revealed an intelligence source that could have dire consequences for the future of this great nation of ours. I expect you all to follow me to the Federal Courthouse tomorrow morning and turn ourselves in. I can only hope that they treat as mercifully as they would Sandy Berger, Major Nidal Hasan, or PFC Brianna Manning. May God have mercy on our souls.

Hack, you owe me box of detergent. It was a clean sweater!

38. martinjmpr says:

@186, I don’t know, if anything I would think that his health and age would be more of a liability. Sure, he signed releases that prevent him from suing the government, but the reality is if he had a heart attack or other medical emergency while embedded, I’m sure the unit would not let him die in the Stryker vehicle, they would most likely get him back to the FOB or call a medevac, either one of which could derail the mission. If I were a squad leader I would not want him on my mission for that reason alone, regardless of his bonafides.

39. Hack Stone says:

Well, if we are all looking at doiing some hard time, I call first dibs on Ex-PH 2 as my cell mate. I really like her photo in the gallery. Va-va-voom! Ex-PH 2, any chance you are attracted to someone that resembles Beaver Cleaver? They probably woouldn’t allow me to wear my baseballl cap in the brig.

40. rb325th says:

The Fire occurred on July 2, 1973 and casused the loss of 16-18 million records… Only records affected were army and Air Force. So if as he claims he has an “Official Discharge” issued by the US Coast guard it should be avialable somewhere… because they were not involved in that fire.

Are you hittin’ on me, Hack? Okay, fine by me.

We can share a cell so long as you don’t mind my cat Mikey, the Large and In Charge. He snores like a squeaky shoe.

And also, please remember, that picture was taken in 1969.

42. Hack Stone says:

I have a picture of myself from 1969. It was my kindergarten photo. It was taken the day after my sister’s psycho cocker spanial bit me in the face, so it looks like there is a fly on my cheek, but it’s just the stitches. I still have the scar. We don’t have the dog. I was the third victim before my parents decided he had to go. I think they shipped him of to Vietnam. Maybe they dropped him in one of those tunnels. (I think that I just inpsired the subject of this thread with a new chapter).

43. HMCS(FMF) Ret says:

One thing that we all need to remember about Mr. Leeds – he posted this at the bottom of his original post on Christmas Eve:

“My credentials are here in my home and are available for anyone to validate providing they are not made public to the press.”

Question – Why would someone that is willing to have a total stranger validate his credentials be afraid to have the press get a copy of them? Could this be the reason why he never responded to the press during the recent elections when they asked him about his military service – that he may not be totally honest about his past?

44. Hack Stone says:

You keep digging that hole, HMCS(FMF) Ret, and they may never let us out. Just to let you guys know, I’ll be ratting you out to the warden for an extra twenty minutes in the exercise yard.

45. HMCS(FMF) Ret says:

Hack – just don’t go for the old “powdered soap on a rope” line in the showers…. some of the guys here have been in the hole for a long time IYKWIMAITYD.

As for me – I’m bustin’ out of this joint (Prison Orange clashes with my pasty while pale complexion)

Hack, here is the title of your autobiography:

“My sister’s psycho cocker spaniel bit me in the face”.

47. Hack Stone says:

Ex-PH2, can’t use it. Too similar to Frank Zappa’s Weasels Ripped My Flesh.

How about Mojo Nixon then? I think I have an old copy of his “Debbie Gibson Is Having My Three-Headed Love Child” album.

And it makes more sense than that decrepit nutbag. I’ve got an official request to Jonn that if I start sounding that crazy he blocks my posts, and then the GF can just quietly put the pillow over my face later.

49. Common Terry says:

Gentlemen! Not sure how exactly my research landed me here, but this thread alone kept me fascinated for endless hours with both excellent resource links as well as comic relief, way better than most movies I see these days.

However the ending has left me kind of flat?
    Is this story dead in the water?
    Curiosity is killing me…..

I have no military experience or affiliation but still I would like to commend you guys for the fantastic work you are doing in fighting bullshit online in general. Misinformation is destroying brains and fake people need to be called out in all forms. Never in a million years would I thought that the BS would be so epidemic in your world.

I hope I am not intruding here.
    Cheers, thank you, and keep up the good work!
    CT~Canada

50. CPTLOU says:

Soooooo,
    What IS the final verdict on this guy?
    Some of the bits he threw out there are real deal. BUT also, as we all know, you can dig up and build shit off the internet anyday.
    One thing has me curious: I did OIF in 08-09 in the general AO this guy claims to have been in/around. FUNNY THING, I was in a CA CO supporting the 4/1 CAV. Yes, the BC was LTC Battaglia. YES, there were numerous fly missions to/from Maysan province.
    But AGAIN, anyone can pretty much pull all that off the net, no big secret.
    I KNOW for a fact there was ONE HTT in vic of. I remember an old goat but not him, and surely not 82. Shit, I thought I was old when I deployed and I was 42!
    I hate to disrupt anyone’s hallucinatory fits of grandeur, but REALLY…..???