When did the DSC become a TV prop?

| May 20, 2012 | 24 Comments

The DSC on Fresh Beat Band.

OK I was watching the Fresh Beat Band, a TV show on Nick Jr with my kid. Then I saw the image above. So I am wondering who’s bright idea was it on the show to use the second highest decoration for valor as a TV prop? I mean I think that it is a good show. My son loves them and got to see them live in San Antonio. But this is proof that that people in costume and wardrobe use medals because they look regal. Perhaps if they fully understood what people have done to be deemed worthy to wear it that perhaps they would see the error of their ways. We will see.

I am going to write themto see what kind of answer I will get.

Category: Pointless blather, Who knows

1. Mike Kozlowski says:

…Nickelodeon has a BAD habit of doing stuff like this. One show – and I want to say it was the otherwise funny ‘Drake and Josh’ – had a character show up with a set of USAF E-5 SSGt stripes sewn to the bottom of his trousers. It took a little doing to explain to the Mrs. why that was so unacceptable to me, as I had to work so hard to earn them.

Mike

2. Sporkmaster says:

I wrote them and I hope to hear from them soon.

To Sir or Madame

I am writing about a episode of the Fresh Beat Band called “Royal Wedding”. What caught my attention was that the Prince was wearing the Distinguished Service Cross. This medal is the second highest military decoration for valor, with only the Medal of Honor being higher. The actions performed by those who have been given the DSC can be found online. Some have lost their lives performing these actions. To date there have only been twenty five Service members who have since 2001 for the operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I think that this is a good show, My son loves it and has seen them live when he went to San Antonio. I just feel that it needs to be pointed out wearing of the DSC is disrespectful considering what it is. Also when we still have a active conflict going on in Afghanistan.

I do not think that this action was intentional I imagine costume and wardrobe picked it because it looked regal. With that I I ask that the people who created the Prince’s costume understand what the DSC and not to use it as a prop.

3. Stu says:

AND as a gesture of good will how about they make a nice donation to the Wounded Warrior Project.

4. CI says:

As jacked up as it looks and as angry as it makes us, wearing military awards and decorations on TV and in movies has occurred ever since TV and movies were invented.

A small percentage of those used as props can be said to be honoring the military in some small way, but the vast majority are simply that…props.

I can’t attest to the context of the nick Jr show, but I look at this differently than when we see awards used as fashion accouterments for the general assortment of douchebaggery.

It’s still disgusting. It is one thing when a movie is staged about the military and uniform pieces and parts must be worn by actors, and therefore are props, to tell the story and quite another thing to use awards as props simply because they are “pretty.”

6. Sporkmaster says:

I think that it has to do with the fact that a decoration for valor is being used as prop on used on a Prince’s uniform. Part of a system that we fought to free our nation in the Revolutionary War.

There is that, of course, to which we all respond. Even without knowing the particulars, at least some of the prop folks should have enough respect for their fellow citizens to not dishonor us all that way.

8. BohicaTwentyTwo says:

Et Tu Twist?

9. Ann says:

I just sent my polite nastygram to them. I don’t particularly care if the prop people didn’t know what it meant. They shouldn’t be using medals, ribbons, and uniform items anyway. 99% of the people wearing this stuff either hate the military or would never ever join no matter how much money you gave them so I’m always at a loss when they want to run around wearing military items.

I was a Wal-Mart cashier for a few months, and had a customer wearing a shirt similar to what that nitwit Souljah Boy wore in one of his vids. It had USMC, jump wings, sewed on ranks, and ribbons vomited onto some ugly purple dress shirt. I came very close to telling him exactly what I thought about him wearing it, but unfortunately really needed the extra money to make ends meet. I was looking up the shirt that evening, and that was when I discovered Souljah Boy made it famous. I went to high school with the dipshit, and so I did get the satisfaction of sending him a nastygram over it. Of course there was no reply.

10. Just Plain Jason says:

It is perhaps my son’s favorite show. He loves to dance and the show is pretty good overall. I actually feel good about leaving him to watch it by himself. Yes propdepartments need to be more aware of what they are doing when they costume characters for a show. This is an instance where we can educate and hopefully it doesn’t happen again. Now I have Fresh Beat Band songs stuck in my head….

I can’t say it better than Bohica…Et Tu Twist…

11. DR_BRETT says:

“No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.”

– Article. I., Section. 10., U.S. Constitution

I agree with Mr. Sporkmaster, that a “PRINCE” properly should not wear UNITED STATES ARMED FORCES Medals.

12. Instinct says:

I sent them a polite “WTF were you thinking” email over it.

Oh, and thanks Just Plain Jason, I now have ‘Bananas” stuck in my head.

13. Yat Yas 1833 says:

Nick Jr knows what I think of their “Prince’s” uniform. All of the ribbons used are actual US military medals/ribbons. What i find most offensive is the fact they’re Marine Corps medals/ribbons!

14. McNally says:

#13: I’m pretty sure that first one is an Army Good Conduct Medal ribbon. And the Marine Corps certainly doesn’t hand that one out.

Nor do they have sole ownership of the Air Medal (second, top row). Or, for that matter, the Distinguished Service Cross (second, bottom row).

15. Beretverde says:

I think that wearing the DSC was a dumb move. The Legion of Merit is a prettier medal.

16. streetsweeper says:

I’ll wager the costumer was paid a visit by McSoul Patch’s ghost in the days or nights before working on this getup.

17. Anonymous says:

Dumb Hollywood liberals who never served, literally.

18. Yat Yas 1833 says:

Gentlemen,

I’m sorry I mis-typed. I didn’t mean ALL the ribbons were Navy/Marine Corps, what I meant was that some of them are actual ribbons awarded by the Navy/Marine Corps. I’m sure we all remember a rather lively discussion about awards conferred by the various branches and it was agreed that the Marine Corps is the stingiest of them all. It just really ticked me off to see those ribbons and I was typing thru a red haze.

19. Sporkmaster says:

I can understand that considering what it takes to get a Navy (Marine) Achievement Medal. Even more for the Navy (Marine) Commendation Medal. I think that is why the NAM is the only Achievement medal that can be awarded with valor. I would also think that it would be safe to say that the NAM is higher in higher regards to the other achievement medals of the other branches. Perhaps even equal withe the Army Commendation Medal.

As far as the NAM goes is the final approval a 06 or have they changed that?

But on the other hand if the Navy/Marines are stingy on personal decorations, perhaps the Army can be viewed the stingiest when it comes to unit awards. I think that most people get perhaps one or two if they are lucky. Even less of a chance if they do not deploy. It just seems that unit awards are more common to the other branch.

20. Bah Bodenkurk says:

I’m in love with Marina.

21. Just Plain Jason says:

I’ve been looking for a friend like you…

22. Ann says:

Sporkmaster I think the only Marine unit award that trumps the other services would be the GWOT Expeditionary.

23. Sean says: