Melissa Campbell; The only casualty of US v. Alvarez

| July 12, 2012 | 35 Comments

Melissa Campbell

We wrote about her in August 2010 and again in March of this year but I think it’s worth it to remind some of our newer readers about Melissa Campbell, the only person to be punished in the case against Xavier Alvarez, the man who took the Stolen Valor Act to the Supreme Court.

Ms. Campbell, a former Marine herself, lost her job as a hostess when upon hearing Alvarez’ outlandish claims of invading Iran on his own and returning to the Tehran embassy to retrieve the US flag even though he was wounded, Campbell confronted Alvarez and was fired from her job soon after. But she continued to help the FBI investigate and finally arrest Alvarez.

Her employer had asked why she should care since she was out of the Marines. Obviously her employer had never been a Marine. The Supreme Court might not recognize Ms. Campbell’s sacrifice for the honor of veterans, but we, here at This Ain’t Hell will never forget.

Category: Stolen Valor Act

Wow! Being fired for being honorable surely counts as something tangible…

2. Old Trooper says:

Damn straight, Jonn!!

3. rb325th says:

What she did took a lot of intestinal fortitude… it shouldn’t have needed it, but I guess when you work for snivelling fecktards who know nothing of Honor it does!! Sorry she lost her job over it, but we need more of her!

4. OldSoldier54 says:

Roger that, Jonn!

5. BK says:

What’s even more respectable is that she’s declined the opportunity to pursue litigation against her employer in lieu of what happened. G-d bless, Marines are good people.

6. Marine_7002 says:

I realize that it’s a bit too late for this year’s BMMSVT, but perhaps there could be a “special” award category, somewhat like a Grammy “Lifetime Non-Achievement Award”, for Southern California Edison?

SCE’s actions don’t fit into the usual Stolen Valor misdeed, in that they didn’t directly commit an SV act, but their douchebaggery treatment of her is SV-related and deserves some sort of recognition and permanent enshrinement.

7. OldSoldier54 says:

#6 Marine_7002 – Sounds good to me!

8. Ann says:

Has an employer who actually wants employees with integrity hired her?

9. Old Tanker says:

I’ve said it before but she has my utmost respect and gratitude.

10. Jonn Lilyea says:

According to Devil Dog’s Wifey, who claims to know Melissa, she does, in fact, have a new and better job.

11. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

It would certainly be gratifying if, as Ann suggests, that a company that values integrity and intestinal fortitude among its employees would be looking for this young woman to fill a position.

Her employer’s response is not at all surprising to me though…very few of my colleagues care about this issue, they listen to me discuss it but it’s clear the topic has all the traction of an old lady in an icy parking lot…

Ms. Campbell is to be commended for her diligent work, God bless her, and I hope she finds a more suitable employer.

• Sparks says:

Veritas Omnia Vincit…Here-Here! Melissa Campbell has all of my respect and it is well earned and deserved. Thank you Ms. Campbell!

12. Beretverde says:

I wish she was at Penn State in the early 90s!

I too was an SCE employee back around the time she worked there. Wish I could say I was surprised, but I’m not.

14. Ann says:

Beretverde, I wish she was the head of Goldman Sachs in the early 2000s.

15. Beretverde says:

#14… Beautiful!

16. UpNorth says:

Yeah, there should be a special award for a company that fails to live up to the minimum standards of honor and integrity. It could be the “Southern California Edison Memorial Douchebag”.

17. HM2 FMF-SW Ret says:

I respect and honor what she did especially in light of what happened. But, there is no protection against the results of using your first amendment rights. Just as the SVA would not protect TSO against Dallas being a jagoff.

18. Old Tanker says:

@17

Just because they can do it doesn’t mean they should…

19. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

@17 Thus the distinction between what is “right” and what is “legal”. Her employer had a legal right to terminate her employment, but the morality of siding with a known liar to curry favor with that liar and his cohorts leaves much in the way of a negative karmic balance….one can only hope that senior managers in that company reap a bountiful karmic harvest soon.

20. HM2 FMF-SW Ret says:

From what I see on ther internet there is only one public version of events, Ms. campbell’s. We don’t know how she confronted him or what happened to the other staff member who questioned him. We also don’t know what else may have happened that she didn’t tell the reporters about. Even so, what happened to her sucks and I am still glad she stood up for the service.

21. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

@20 Agreed…character like that is hard to find in an employee…

22. DR_BRETT says:

WOW !! — PRETTY LADY .
    And, she was willing to PAY FOR, HER OWN standup action .

23. DR_BRETT says:

No. 16:
    I know I am repeating myself, but I wanted to mention — for those who care — The AVERELL HARRIMAN MEMORIAL HIGHWAY (also known as — AKA — the ho-ho min., or hootchy-gootchy, inviltration trail through LAOS, to The Republic Of VIETNAM) .

24. DR_BRETT says:

*inFiltration*

25. 1stCavRVN11B says:

Melissa Campbell is stand up honorable lady in my book. The Cav would love to have her any day! Thank you Melissa.

26. Jim says:

A girl made him her bitch. He’s a sad douche.

27. Yat Yas 1833 says:

The beautiful lady’s uniform says it all. Cal Ed is lower than whale sh1t and that’s at the bottom of the ocean.

28. Devtun says:

@27

Sorry, but Major Jill Metzger and her numerous AF General Officer “boyfriends/protectors” occupy an area below Moby Dick’s shite – recently “awarded” medal for “valor”. Sheesh -there really is no god or heaven. Ms. Campbell would wipe the floor with this POS Major.

29. Brook says:

well i think we find out which company fired her and get everybody we can to contact that company about how upset we are.

30. Melissa Campbell says:

Thank you for your support, after Southern California Edison fired me I began to work with the American Legion to rewrite and advocate for a new Stolen Valor Act.
    Veterans, we need your support on H.R. 258 http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr258

This website below allows you to advocate for H.R. 258, let your elected officials know how important this act is to the veteran population! https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/hr258
    Melissa Campbell, USMC Vet

31. David Dirom says:

I’m not a Marine, but I am a veteran (british & canadian) think I just wasn’t man enough to have been a Marine, Marines are as far as I’m concerned the true tip of the spear. But this young lady sure IS a Marine. Well done young lady.

32. Mark Lauer says:

We could still send letters to that company asking them the following;

“Is it true that in 2010 you guys actually fired a Marine for standing up to a military poser? If so, that was really a dumb thing to do. Wow. What an unpatriotic move. That really, really sucks. How could you do something like that? Man! I bet you won’t do something as stupid as that ever again. Jeez, was that ever dumb. Wow. Dumb, dumb, dumb.”

33. Kevin Scott says: