A show of (good) Character. (For a change)

| August 17, 2012 | 18 Comments

Well since my last post was about someone who seems to be lacking character, I thought that it would be good to counter that when someone who has good character.

The photo that I will not post here, was the one where Mrs Kaplan was very much expecting and had a written message of “welcome home daddy” on her belly. Because a good portion of the population does not know/understand mid-tour leave that people were making claims that how can she be 8-9 months pregnant on a 12 month deployment. Instead of him hiding that he made a mistake he owned up to his error and and reached out to apologize for it. I am grateful for his actions.

It is is sad when a person who portrayed a fictional field grade (Or what every you Navy guys call them) officer has more class and character then a real one.

Category: Society, Support the troops

1. AW1 Tim says:

Concur. There are Junior Officers, Officers, and Flag Officers. FO’s are the O-7 and above. JO’s the O-1 to O-3.

Took awhile to get used too, but I fingered it out eventually. :)

2. Angie says:

God bless you both. Thank you for your service. Also thank you for standing by your wife

3. streetsweeper says:

Kudos, Kendra Kaplan. Very well done! Now the commentors can kiss your butt.

4. Anonymous says:

This is an old story that Snopes debunked in 2010. I’m not sure how this one still has legs. See here: http://www.snopes.com/photos/military/welcomehome.asp

5. Eric says:

@5: Regardless of how long ago it was, George Takei had posted it on his page and then realized the truth of it and decided to apologize, own up to it, etc. That’s the important thing in this one and good for him.

It is great that he would step up like this. If there was more of this in the US, well, TAH would have a lot of slow news days I guess…

6. Devtun says:

@1

Junior officer – 0-1 to 0-4
    Senior Officer – 0-5 to 0-6
    Flag officer — 0-7 to 0-10

* 0-4/LCDR are considered JOs, and don’t have “scrambled eggs” on visor of their cover like 0-4/Majors in Army, Marines, & AF. Also Majors, unlike LCDRs are afforded field grade accomodations when assigned quarters.

7. Chuck W says:

Being in both Navy and Army, I think it is Line Officer is the equivalent.

8. Chuck W says:

Oops. Strike out it is. Never could type well.

9. Just Plain Jason says:

George Takei seems to be a pretty stand up guy. He is that gay uncle that everyone should have. I like him and he usually does a good thing.

10. Joe Williams says:

What the ? Mid tour leave, Hondo , Yat does the Corps do this?

Couldn’t tell ya, Joe – I was Army, not USMC. But as I recall, USMC tours in-theater today are 6 to 9 months vice 1 year long (that’s the standard Army tour in-theater), so I’d guess not.

12. Rerun0369 says:

The Corps only grants mid tour leave to Individual Augmentees that are in theater for 12 months or more. Our average deployments are 7 months, so no we do not normally get mid-tour leave.

Thanks, Rerun0369. Thought that was the policy, but wasn’t sure. Always good to get confirmation.

14. Joe Williams says:

Thank you Rerun,The RVN tour was 13 months and only emerency leave during your tour. Joe

15. GoV says:

My wife is friends with this lady, and she has literally been through hell since that picture was posted on the news networks. One thing a lot of people do not know, is that the envelope she holds in he hand in the picture, has the sex of the baby and she was going to surprise her husband upon his return.

16. Kendra Kaplan says:

I am the women in the photo and my family truly does hate the fact so many people talk negative about such a great thing! He was deployed a total of 12 months with 14 day leave in March of 09. He returned in Aug of 09 and I was 5 months pregnant Tomas was born dec 2nd 09 . All of the math adds up!! Thanks to those who support and tell the true story!!

17. Kendra, while the dopes out here in cyberspace can say some incredibly stupid things; take it from this ol’Dude: “Consider the source, and don’t let it get to you.”
    They do not count in the grand scheme of things.
    Not one whit.