Brothers return honor to family of hero

| November 13, 2012 | 12 Comments

Ret12B40 sends us a link to the story of two brothers, Michael and Mauro Mazzariello, 11 and 8 respectively, who found some medals in an antique shop that belonged to someone they’d never met and they decided to return the medals to the family where they belonged;

The purple heart, bronze star and good conduct awards they found in the tiny New York shop belonged to the namesake of Asheville, N.C.’s Veterans Affairs Medical Center and a recipient of the United States’ highest military honor, the medal of honor.

“We went in looking for a G.I. Joe Real American Hero and came out with a real American hero,” the 6th grader Michael said.

The Mazzariello boys got to see the awards united with George’s family at a Veteran’s Day ceremony in North Carolina on Monday.

“It was the most satisfying moment of my life, to finally give the medals back to them,” Michael said.

I figured you’d like this one because it’s so rarely that we see someone return someone else’s valor.

Category: Support the troops

1. LebbenB says:

Air…BORNE! Good on those kids and their families for doing that.

Now that’s good stuff. Thank you, young gentlemen.

3. 2-17 Air Cav says:

I’m still in mourning regarding last Tuesday’s results and, accordingly, I am not officially returned to TAH. But I do peek and this story cannot go without some comment from me because it is so very heartening. Credit first to the parents of these younf fellas. It’s these boys and their paraents that will sustain me with hope for our nation. A salute to each.

4. DefendUSA says:

Those kids understand already what it is that makes this Country’s greatness unsinkable. There is hope!

5. joe alcott says:

There is (some) hope yet, for the future!

Well done, lads. Very well done.

And ditto to these lads’ parents, who raised them well.

7. Heltau says:

I thought you could NOT sell the MOH or any of the highter priced medals awarded to people.
    Am I wrong in this thinking?
    Higher priced medals: most ot the time the life of the awarded is taken away by the enemy.
    For those that did not understand what I was trying to say there.
    My english putting toghater of words and spelling are not so great.

8. Jonn Lilyea says:

I don’t think the Medal of Honor was among the medals the brothers found.

9. rb325th says:

The MoH was not among the medals.. The family had retained that.
    What great kids!!

10. SSG Medzyk says:

I wonder how these obviously intelligent, well grounded boys are on national domestic economics….

11. Joe Williams says:

A sharp hand salute to both their’s parents and the young for their honor. Semper Fi joe