Joe being Joe, or “How Situational Awareness can spare you from awkward moments.”

| December 6, 2012 | 14 Comments

OK, so I went down to breakfast this morning and met two wounded guys sitting there, asked if I could join them.   Awesome dudes, Intel oriented.  Live in Maryland now.  To say we hit it off is an understatement, we were cracking up the entire time, and telling stories.  These guys love RangerUp so we talked about that, and then we went through some of our TAH highlights and giggled about Ballduster McSoulpatch and Master Sergeant Soup Sandwich.

So, we’re sitting there enjoying our time and this guy walks in with his girlfriend.  He’s one of the volunteers here.  I knew who he was because I had spent the night talking to his mother last night, who is also a volunteer at this event.  So, one of the guys at the table, SSG Rudi Gomez (who is the man) goes into the following conversation with me:

RG, nodding towards the guy that walked in, “I don’t think that dude there likes me much.”

Me: Why’s that?

RG: So last night we were all standing out there on the casino floor waiting to walk to dinner and I was checking out this poster of Sigfried and Roy, and that guy was standing next to me and I said to him “No wonder the tiger tried to bite him.”  And he says, “Whats that?”  So I say, “you can’t spend 364 days out of the year tea-bagging a tiger while wearing a bejeweled shirt and not expect the tiger to eat you on Day 365.  It’s just common sense.”  And the guy just looked at me weird and kind of walked away.  I think I might have offended him.

Me: You do know who that dude is don’t you?

RG: One of the volunteers.

Me: Yeah, but he’s also Kurt Busch, you know the NASCAR driver.

RG: WHAT??!?

Me: Yeah man, that’s Kurt Busch.

RG: Oh shit.

Our entire table was just rolling.  Our latest thing now is to just walk up to Rudi and say “Hey, remember that time you talked to Kurt Busch about tea bagging a tiger?

[For the record, Mr Busch seems like a REALLY nice guy.  I talked to him about non-tea baggin, non-tiger things last night.  And his mom is SUPER sweet as well.  Wonderful people, and though I still won't watch NASCAR, when he comes on ESPN I will be rooting for him.]

BTW- Another story that had me rolling this morning was JR telling us how he once accidentally welded his hook hand to a pipe he was working on.  Only at an event like this would such stories not be completely outside the bounds of normal discussion.

Category: Politics

1. Jabatam says:

Ha ha ha!

2. dbie says:

You have the best stories, LOL. And JR welding his hook to a pipe!?? Do tell!

3. melle1228 says:

I am going to have to disagree with Kurt Busch on this one and say that I agree with RG.. Of course the Tiger was going to bite him. :)

4. Tequila says:

Not a big Kurt Busch fan. He has some anger management issues. Mostly being he can’t control his anger. He has won a championship but aside from that his main claims to fame are pushing reporters around and issuing obscenities during on air interviews. His younger brother Kyle is a helluva race car driver but he too has control issues. This makes him a dangerous man on the track. There is a saying in NASCAR, if you go out of bounds here chances are you’re not coming back. For all the safety measures and the incredible engineering that goes into the cars to keep the drivers safe you can only slam into a concrete wall so many times at over 170 MPH’s before the law of averages catches up. Both Kurt and Kyle like to put people in the walls.

5. Poet says:

I hope that I never find myself in a place where a story about welding a hook hand to a pipe is out of bounds. That would be a depressing place, indeed.

6. john Miska says:

I was bare wading last winter with a guy who is bilateral bk…I was asked by an onlooker if my legs got cold and I said yes when I got out. My buddy stood in water for hours and same guy says to me that he must have huge stones to stand in the cold water as long as he did…I agreed and said he did…Guy never knew that my buddy was standing on titanium legs not meat …LMAO.

7. Nik says:

Ok. Ok. I’ll admit. I don’t get it.

Why is talking about Sigfried and Roy and tea-bagging tigers to Kurt Busch funny?

8. John says:

It not that the subject matter is funny its that a guy who is on TV almost every sunday from February till December was not recognized. Just randomly blurt out what your thinking to a stranger that turns out to be famous, hilarious

9. Spade says:

@4
    What’s do bad about pushing reporters around?

10. Nik says:

@8

Ok. I’ll readily admit, I know jack about NASCAR drivers other than…well..they drive. Cars. NASCARs. Other than that, I got nothing.

11. Just an Old Dog says:

I would venture to say that a figure like KB would be worried about sponsors dropping him if he was overheard laughing at a joke at the expense of Tiger- Chewed person of questionable sexuality. Funny thing,,,, when I was In 3/4 our Politically correct code for questioning someone having sugar in their tank was stating that you thought there might be a little “Sigfried and Roy” in them.

Hey, as long as he wasn’t talking about a tiger teabagging KB…

13. Trace says:

At least they didn’t do the old joke about how you turn a fruit into a vegatable by putting a spangly suit on him and locking him in a cage with a white tiger.
    BTW, Kurt busch is a gold metal douche.

Then again, in poker the expression for pocket queens is “Sigfried and Roy”…just like Ace-King is “Anna Kournikova–looks pretty, never wins.”

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.