Obama’s gun control wish list

| December 19, 2012 | 150 Comments

I remember when the Democrats were telling us gun nuts during the election earlier this year that we were being irrational in our fears that this president would be coming for our guns, because he hadn’t up until now. ABC News reports that they’ve gotten a bit more specific on the kinds of gun laws they’d like to see;

The White House today indicated President Obama would support legislation that would reinstate the ban on certain types of semi-automatic rifles – known as “the assault weapons ban” — and may support other efforts, such as a proposal to ban high-capacity magazines, in the wake of the deadly massacre in Newtown, Conn.

“He is actively supportive of, for example, Senator Feinstein’s stated intent to revive a piece of legislation that would reinstate the assault weapons ban,” White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters, publicly backing for the first time legislation Feinstein plans to introduce. The White House had previously been reluctant to publicly named any specific action it might support in an effort to prevent future massacres.

“Certain types of semi-automatic weapons” means that they don’t know what they’re talking about. They plan on going back to banning the sales of scary-looking black rifles with bayonet lugs and flash suppressors – which has nothing to do with the lethality of the weapons, but everything to do feelings of fear. It certainly won’t “prevent future massacres”.

They don’t need to ban high capacity magazines – I spent three hours last night looking for magazines. Cheaper Than Dirt and Amazon have apparently quit selling them, while everyone else is just out of them. Everyone is back ordered on 5.56mm ammo, too, well, except tracer ammo.

The article goes on to say that the president wants to “close the gun show loophole”. I don’t know what that means – I’ve bought two guns at gunshows in the last few years and both times I had to go through the same background checks I would in a store.

The president says that he reached out to my Senator, Joe Manchin for advice. Funny, but I tried to reach out to Manchin yesterday, too, but I went straight to voice mail.

ADDED: NBC broadcast new is reporting that Joe Bite-Me will be spearheading the anti-gun legislation, you know like he spearheaded the strategy in Afghanistan, so we’re boned.

Category: Gun Grabbing Fascists

1. Robert says:

“Gun show loophole” is their code for ending all private transfers of guns between individuals. This would end up including a father gifting his son with the .22 that he received from his father, or a grandfather wishing to pass on his hunting shotguns to his family before he passes on. Libs want all of these private, informal transactions to go through the FFL/form 4473/NICS process.

2. 68W58 says:

According to the BBC Obama is going to give Biden this task, which strikes me as good news. Surely the Republican leadership can stop a politician as incompetent as Joe Bid…oh wait, we’re screwed.

3. 2-17 Air Cav says:

Yeah, I’m suspicious about Joey Moron’s role in this. He is the admin’s patsy (well, one of them, anyway. Rice and Generalisimo Martin are members of that club, too) so I’m wondering why him. Is it just to have a ready fallguy if the soon-to-be-announced legislation fails in the House? The NRA hasn’t done squat yet but is readying to loose the hounds. That’s BIG BUCKS for the pols. We’ll see.

4. Whitey_wingnut says:

As long as Barry has people to throw under the bus, he will. The ban will not stop people from causing tragedies such as the one in Newtown, it just makes the moonbat left sleep better at night.

5. NR Pax says:

I actually asked a gun-control advocate what I was getting in return for stricter gun laws. The response: “You’re getting the same increase in safety everyone else gets when it’s harder for irresponsible people to get their hands on guns.”

Trade my rights for a fluffy feeling of safety that doesn’t exist. Not a good deal.

6. Detn8r says:

I know a popular saying going around is “We don’t need more gun control, we need more Idiot control” unfortunately for us and the country, the President does not hold to that saying. He has appointed an IDIOT to head up his task force.

Well, here it comes! Biden will turn the powers of the Government loose on the citizens in the guise of DHS, the 21st century, American version of the German SS. Do not be surprised when the suburbans pull up on your property and un-ass a shit load of Gubmint Ninjas in black pajamas!!

My only question and fear is, what will law abiding gun owners do? I know how I will respond, but what will happen to the country when the Government decides to take our Second Amendment and piss all over it, disarming its citizens in idiotic ignorance and pressure from the left?

I have a Grand Daughter that I will protect with every breath and drop of blood I have, against any and all enemies. I will do that with all of the fire power I can muster.

7. BohicaTwentyTwo says:

I finally had one of my gun control advocate FB friends go on record as saying his end state for gun control laws was a complete ban on all semi automatic weapons and all handguns. Not exactly grounded in reality. I still can’t understand how trying to deport millions of illegal immigrants isn’t feasible, but confiscating 10s of millions of guns is.

8. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

@5 Right because that’s a zero increase in safety and your gun-control advocate knows it. Because folks who break the law will be so concerned by an additional law that they will suddenly stop acquiring weapons to perpetrate their crimes….

That law will have the same effect as additional “crimes with a firearm” legislation has had on drive-bys in gang related shootings….which is zero for those on the liberal left not able to process simple math.

9. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

@7 That’s because guns don’t vote for Democrats….

We keep referring to and/or hearing about the zombie apocalypse.

First, two convicts escape Chicago’s supremely-tight-security Metropolitcan Correctional Center by making bed dummies out of their prisoner orange jammies and a rope out of bed linens and blankets, crawling through a 5-inch wide window, and descending 15 floors outside the building to the street. One of them is now thought to have $500,000 still unaccounted for from his last stickup. Well, weren’t they just going out for coffee and donuts?

Second, an eagle tries to snatch a kid — well, he was just inviting that youngster to take ride like the hobbits did at the end of LOTR – ROTK, right????

And now Joey BFD Bgfkndeal is in charge of monitoring gun control legislation?

You’re hosing me, right? Well, that does it. I’m going over to Bass Pro Shops and pick me up some of them there camo color bows and arrows. The zombie apocalypse is alive and well in Washington, DC. This proves it.

And I keep asking for a spew alert when you guys post this kind of stuff.

11. USMCE8Ret says:

I’m preaching to the choir here, but I’m mindful that whenever politicians feel they should be doing something (but don’t know how about doing it), they create “Blue Ribbon Panels” to discuss options and wring their hands, with the intent of providing options as a result of whatever study they’re supposed to undertake. At the conclusion of any panel I’ve ever heard of, no recommendations they put forth were ever implemented.

The last assault weapons ban didn’t work so well, which was enacted on September 13, 1994. Case in point: It had NO influence on Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, who wrought havoc at Columbine on April 20, 1999 – well into 5 years after the ban went into affect.

Same goes for any other legislation. I can’t think of ANY law that has minimized or prevented drunk driving, murder with any other weapon, or any other criminal offense – and adding more laws is just that… more laws to be ignored by the criminals.

12. NR Pax says:

@8, they are convinced that if guns are made more illegal criminals will suddenly have a change of heart and behave.

13. 68W58 says:

For the left the vision is all that matters, they will excuse any excess in the service of that vision and they will make no apologies for the atrocities they commit (“lefties are outraged about everything, but responsible for nothing”).

I have seen it time and again, you will confront a lefty with facts and reason and it will fail to make a dent, because they are enraptured with the vision. They see a world without all the strife and difficulty which are endemic to the human condition and they will do anything to try and achieve that vision-despite the fact that it has been shown time and again to be impossible.

I was in college in 1989 when the Berlin wall fell and I remember my Anthropology professor being almost in tears at the sight of all those eastern Europeans exulting in their new-found freedom. For years after that they still spouted the same discredited Marxist nonsense without the slightest regard for the evidence of the failure of that worldview-and that was because the reality didn’t matter, the vision was beautiful and that was all that counted.

Now they envision a world without the horror that we saw last week-which is admirable enough, but when we point out to them why the controls that they propose will not achieve that end, they disregard what we have to say because that conflicts with the vision. Bear in mind that we are not dealing with people for whom facts and reason matter in this debate and be prepared for the worst sort of manipulative emotional nonsense before this is all over. They will try to paint us as cold uncaring monsters for not simply caving to their demands based on their emotional reaction to tragedy-and they will be abetted in this by their allies in the media.

BohicaTwentyTwo: I’m actually surprised your FB friend had the balls to admit that. That’s indeed what most anti-gun whackjobs want, but very few will actually admit it.

The rest of the anti-gun whackjobs – like our own Joey the Rockclimbing Hero? They seem to want to outlaw all private ownership of firearms, period.

IMO, of course.

Ex-PH2: are you asking for a “spew alert” in the US sense of the term? Or in the British slang sense?

Or both? (smile)

Hondo, remember that joke someone told you when you were in the middle of your favorite beer, and the beer came right out of your nose?

Just asking for a warning, so that I won’t choke while laughing.

I’m gonna get the following movies for my library:

Road to Perdition
    Bonnie and Clyde
    Public Enemy Number One
    Stagecoarch (the original)
    Any John Wayne movie
    Outlaw Josey Wales and all CE’s spaghetti westerns
    All the episodes of “Combat” available (I already have Tour of Duty)
    Silverado
    Battle at Apache Pass
    The Longest Day
    Hammburger Hill
    Pork Chop Hill
    Tora! Tora! Tora!
    Midway
    Asphalt Jungle
    Wackiest Ship In the Army
    All episodes of Victory at Sea

I’m going to quit watching dippy romances and go for the guns.

Ex-PH2: US usage. Got it.

I’d also recommend a copy of Das Boot (German language version with subtitles). One of the best military films I’ve ever seen.

@4- it just makes the moonbat left sleep better at night.

And then when the next mass killing happens in one of their vaunted “gun free zones” they’re going to be all that much more surprised.

Yes, and I left out the movie “Hondo”, plus Gray Lady Down — that movie is too tense for words.

I think that banning guns is such a misdirected approach.

It would make far more sense for everyone in this country to be required to own and use guns.

What’s that screeching noise? Sounds like zombies.

Is there a movie called “Guns and Glory”?

And I lert out most of Quentin Tarantino’s movies, because I have only two right now. Naughty me.

PH2–coners loved “Gray Lady Down” because all the nukes died in the first half hour.

Sparky — Yes,and that pot-smoking slug Carradine gets squished by the big submarine.

23. USMCE8Ret says:

@13 – Well said. Can I use that for my dissertation?

24. CAs6 says:

The left just wants to make more criminals. They hate red-blooded, tax paying Americans, that’s the long and short of it. They know that taking their guns will be the final straw, too many people will refuse. Pass a law like this, BAM! Instant criminality for 47% of America! Lock up people who were law-abiding citizens yesterday, without any change in lifestyle on their part, and you have total control of the country.

I’m beginning to know how the Doughboys coming back from WWI felt when prohibition passed. With no change in their lifestyle, one day they were law-abiding citizens and the next they were criminals. It’s a shame.

25. USMCE8Ret says:

Like I said in the other post, Joe.

You’re an idiot.

26. Joe says:

Coming from someone like you, that’s a compliment.

27. Nik says:

Joe’s gotten stale. We need a better class of vacuous troll.

28. PintoNag says:

I don’t know how many of you work with horses, but here’s a lesson from the horse world that applies here. When you are training a fine harness horse to pull a carraige, they have to wear a “check-rein” or “bearing-rein” as part of their harness. Even the long-necked, high-bred horses have to be trained to accept the severe rein, which keeps their heads high by the use of a thin bit and strap which will punish the horse if they lean on it. You train the horse to accept this rein by shortening it little by little, over time. If you attempted to apply this rein in its greatest severity all at once, the horse would fight. But when you apply the rein slowly, a little at a time, the horse comes to accept the increasing restriction, and wear the rein.

That is the plan with gun control.

29. UpNorth says:

It’s an intellectually deficient person who can’t see an insult, Joey. But, we’ve known you for a while now, and it’s not surprising that you are, in fact, intellectually deficient. Now, toodle back to the Brady Center and get stroked, you’ve earned it.
    #13 describes you to a T Joey. It’s really all about your “feelings”.

“Gray Lady Down”. Damn – you got my hopes up for a minute there, Ex-PH2. I thought you were about to say that the NYT had declared they were going out of business! (smile)

I see our Heroic Rockclimber is back.

Offer stands, Joe. Don’t like the US? Then move to Europe (if you can find a country that will take you) and provide proof of renunciation of your US citizenship and I’ll send some $$$ to help cover the cost of your one-way plane ticket.

Hondo, we could start a fund for that. Everyone chip in ten cents or something. That would cover a cheap-seats ticket one way, no food included, and a low rider transport to the nearest hovel.

33. USMCE8Ret says:

Joe – Your ranting is less than amusing, as is the brand of logic you and your ilk ramble on about.

You can keep your histrionics and emotion, but they won’t work here in this forum since you’re obviously not able to grasp anything that is being discussed here.

From here on out, I won’t cast any pearls among swine.

34. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

@30 Feelings are a correct analysis. The tragedy Friday leaves huge questions in peoples minds, how did this happen, what kind of person does this, how can we stop this from happening again.

For those of us who are already aware that the world is not now, and never has been truly safe the answers are not comfortable but we know them…

How did this happen? A well intentioned mother trained her emotionally unstable and mentally ill son how to use firearms in a very ill conceived notion of bonding with the child.

What kind of person does this? Religious fanatics or lunatics, in this case we have the latter. A child with a history of odd behavior so pronounced his own mother admonished babysitters to never leave him alone for a moment, not to even use the bathroom and to never ever turn your back on him…he was 9 at the time of that warning to the babysitter….

How can we stop this from happening again? Sadly, we probably can’t stop mass murder. We can encourage family members to alert the authorities when a child or sibling is in serious need of mental health assistance, and we can take a hard look at our current mental health policies and attempt to rework them to keep dangerously ill people from wandering the streets. But that won’t stop a determined psychopath who is smart enough to avoid detection, or a religious fanatic determined to commit suicide while committing a mass murder with a bomb….

That last question then opens up a dialog that is uncomfortable, how do we proceed in a world where people want to randomly kill us on any given day? That dialog involves a discussion larger in scope than either mental health or gun control, but it is a dialog that is long overdue.

VOV: you left out one category, amigo: evil bastards.

Ted Bundy, the BTK killer, the Green River killer, and their like in general were neither overly religious nor insane. Neither was Saddam Hussein, Joseph Stalin, Adolph Hitler, Pol Pot, or Mao Zedong. They were merely evil sociopaths who turned to mass murder as a way to “get their jollies” or get what they wanted.

The hard and cold fact is that there are indeed evil people in the world who will commit mass murder to get what they want. And – unfortunately – such evil bastards tend to be pretty good at hiding their evil intent until they’re in a position to execute successfully.

Hondo, no, sorry, “Gray Lady Down” was a 1978 movie about a submarine imploding and sinking with all hands on board. Unlike the catastrophic implosion of the USS Thresher in 1963, there was a DSRV rescue of the crew in the movie, but it was a sweaty and very tense film.

Pinto Nag, the analogy to a check rein is right on the mark. If you apply the check rein gradually, the horse gets used to it and gets a nice arched crest of the neck.

However, if it’s too tight or tightened too quickly, it can and did cause serious accidents. Of course, the toffs who were dumb idiots about horses only wanted that fancy neckline and didn’t care what the consequences were. And those who really wanted a couple of 16-mile-an-hour ‘tits’ would drop the check rein so that their horses could hit that speed.

Ex-PH2: I know that. Just making a joke based on the NYT’s nickname. (smile)

Hondo: I know, but not everyone else may know what “Gray Lady Down” was about.

Oh, no! Ended a sentence with a preposition again!

40. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

@36 Evil bastards….I was kind of hoping that they were covered under the lunatic section because I hope those folks have slipped a gear and are not running with the same ratios we are….but I agree they mask their intentions really well, some to the point of appearing to be one of the good guys….in any case a well delivered touch of kinetic energy through a pointy lead object stops most of them.

41. JohnG says:

I lost my first firearm collection after the Hungerford killings. No scary black rifles, just a nice early M1 Garand and a series of collector grade Lee-Enfields. (Do you know how hard to come by high grade Lee Enfields are?) The ban included any firearm that had been military issue. Semi auto, bolt action the lot. Ex military firearms were also excluded from the Government compensation deal. Now, decades later I suspect I will loose my current, somewhat more impressive collection.

We (gun owners) face a number of difficult to overcome problems. Despite the number of guns in private ownership there is an increasing population who have never had or seen a use for firearms. They do not hunt, they do not live in an area where they or their animals need protection from wildlife and they have never used one. Many have been taught that guns are bad, dangerous and unsafe. Put them alone in a room with a hand gun on the table and they will be in fear of their life. With no need or understanding of firearms they will be happy to see a ban.

Another problem is that those who argue that these latest killings would not have happened if private ownership was banned are technically correct. This does not seem like a woman who would have bought guns on the black market. No guns, no killings. What we can’t easily prove is the number of people not killed because of private gun ownership. The number of home robberies turned murder that never happened is unknowable. Can it be proved that my anti gun neighbor is safer because people like me do have guns? I might challenge him to put up a “Gun Free House” sign! This country has a large, armed, criminal element with little or no regard for life. I would be interested to hear law enforcement opinion on setting that lot loose on an unarmed population!

The last problem is that politics overrides everything else. I never thought a Conservative government would enact the ban they did in the UK. Unfortunately they deemed it a political necessity.

42. PintoNag says:

@36 You have made an interesting point. You do realize if the boy had only killed his mother, we would never have heard about it. And why do we say this boy was “mentally ill,” when he has done nothing different from all of the school attacks by extremeists in the ME? If a bomb had been used instead of a gun, would we have heard about it? What kind of controls would our administration be hurrying into effect after something like that?

What distresses me greatly is that there is no dialog going on. It’s a case of “here’s what we’ve decided, here’s what we’re going to do, and YOU will, too.”

43. Joe says:

Yeah, Pinto, e.g., here’s what the one side has decided – we’re gonna keep all the guns we have, and we’re gonna order more because we’re afraid.

44. PintoNag says:

Out of curiosity, Joe…if the young man that shot up the school had been committed involuntarily to a mental hospital before the shooting, would you have considered that a violation of his civil rights?

45. Twist says:

@44, So what you want is to take everyones guns because YOU are afraid?

46. Whitey_wingnut says:

@NHSparky

You would think by now that they would have bought a clue from the last few gun free zone massacres.

47. Joe says:

Was he documented as a danger to himself or others? I’ll ask you, what if he had intent, but his mother didn’t have any guns in the house?

Gun sales are picking up quickly:

There’s also this item:

I have not yet seen anything about sales at the local Bass Pro Shops, but I’ll post it if I do.

I really do think that if everyone in the US was required to carry, use and train with guns of all kinds, then gun violence would nearly cease.

Passing more gun control laws is ridiculous. We already have plenty in place. You cannot predict human behavior. Gun control will not take away or prevent the “bad” stuff from happening. It isn’t even a form of appeasement.

It is a childish reaction to a cruel, harsh reality — that we are apex predators and some of us are crazy buggers who just don’t like people. And it isn’t going to go away, no matter how many laws you pass against it.

Then he still would have tried (and possibly succeeded) in getting SOME SORT of weapon, even if it wasn’t necessarily a gun.