Denny’s doesn’t like guns

| January 3, 2013 | 52 Comments

ROS sends us a link from Missouri Illinois where a Denny’s restaurant manager tossed out some police officers the other night for *gasp* having guns with them while they were eating at the local chain.

Five on-duty but out of uniform detectives were in the middle of their meal at the Denny’s. The restaurant chain said a customer spotted one of the officers carrying a gun and alerted the manager. The manager told the detective she would have to leave or secure the gun in her car, that guns are not allowed in Denny’s. Even after the officers explained they were cops they were still told they could not carry their weapons in the business. Captain Sax said, “I’ve never known anybody that didn’t want a police officer present in an establishment in a business it’s added security it’s absolutely what they want.”

Now, I didn’t know that Denny’s has a “no gun” policy because I’ve always had mine when I went to local Denny’s in Keyser. I never saw a “no gun” sign, but asking a cop to leave because of their guns is just ridiculous. I guess I won’t be going back – I’ll drive the 50 miles to IHOP instead.

Category: Guns

1. Old Trooper says:

Oh my, someone saw a gun!!!! The HORROR!!!!!!!

2. Twist says:

That’s strange, I used to open carry to Denny’s in Fairbanks and nobody even gave me a second glance. Then again Alaska’s gun laws are a little less strict than the lower 48.

3. Biermann says:

Actually happened in Belleville which is in the not so great state of Illinois.

and then there is this

never mind the gay marriage part but pay attention to the gun ban part of the same article

4. mp8 says:

This happened in Illinois just across the river from Saint Louis. Near East Saint Louis Illinois which has crime stats on the level Bogota Colombia and more deaths per population than Iraq during the troop surge. Welcome to Illinois!

5. Ben says:

People are getting a little too fucking stupid with their overreactions. Where does it stop? And how does a restaurant manager have the authority to kick out on-duty cops, even if they are customers?

Okay, like I needed another reason NOT to go to Denny’s. And no, I’m not an IHOP fan either. The only place within 30 miles of my house that’s open 24/7 is the T/A on I-95, and on weekends, the Friendly Toast is open 24 hours, but they’ve been shut down by the health department so many times there’s no telling what you’re going to get.

7. Flagwaver says:

So, this manager has just gone public to say that his business can be robbed by anyone because he has guaranteed that the police response time is at least doubled for his stupidity.

It’s a good thing that criminals always follow the gun laws, though. I know they would never use their guns to do anything illegal, unlike all those police and legal gun owners.

8. Don says:

Very strange. At a Denny’s here in a rough neighborhood the host seating guests would open carry. No more Denny’s for me

Has anyone yet determined if this is corporate policy or simply one stupid employee?

10. Claymore says:

Two words: Waffle House

11. O-4E says:

Pistols over my hammy

12. BohicaTwentyTwo says:

Funny, I was in a Boston Market on Monday and two plainclothes cops came in for lunch. They both had side arms and badges on neck chains. My only comment to my wife was, “if anyone tries to rob the place, duck.”

13. Lucky says:

What kinda idiot is that manager??

14. Twist says:

@10, Three word: Tums, Pepto Bismol.

15. wyoske says:

Nobody in their right mind would want a cop in their business, armed or not. Read injustice everywhere.com.

16. Biermann says:

#9, News stated this morning that it is NOT corporate policy, but the manager took it upon themselves to kick the cops out even though they identified themselves as on duty detectives.

17. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

My guess is there will be one less Denny’s manager very soon, what a dumb b4stard….there is only one Denny’s within 30 miles of my house and I never eat there so not going is already in play. I prefer the locally owned and operated breakfast diner 4 blocks from my house….great sausage and eggs with pancakes on the side….and the home fries are made with real potatoes cut fresh daily…

18. USMCE8Ret says:

@15/wyoske – What the hell are you talking about?

19. UpNorth says:

This may have been an assistant manager thinking she had more power than she really did, or a cashier who decided to placate one moron customer. Regardless, it’s gonna bite this particular Denny’s in the ass.

20. PintoNag says:

We had a local eatery try that here. The cops put the word out, the place got boycotted by anyone who had anything to do with law enforcement (around here there is overlap with federal, state and local agencies) and the restaurant was out of business within the year.

21. Common Sense says:

@16 – that’s good to hear, we eat at Denny’s a lot. The one near us has 5-star service, I’m not kidding. You can’t get better service in any of the upscale restaurants, we’re quite spoiled.

22. TSO says:

Cracker Barrel – Eggs in a basket, over easy, side of Sausage, side of toast. Hashbrown casserole, coffee and an Arnold Palmer with sweet tea please.

Oh, I do be lovin me some Cracker Barrel. Too bad the nearest one is a tie between Londonderry and Portland–neither one convenient.

Hash brown casserole. Gotta be. Took the girlfriend to one (her first time) and she was like, “Why haven’t I been here before?”

Cracker Barrel, and while I don’t recall seeing on-duty cops come in for breakfast, lunch, dinner or donuts, I’m sure they’d be welcomed by Cracker Barrel.

I have seen them in Chicago go into Burger King, McDonald’s, Wendys, and whatever, guns and all. Also near where I live at the local highway truck stop restaurants like Iron Skillet, the state and county cops go into those restaurants all the time wearing guns.

I really don’t know what the problem is. Maybe that restaurant ?manager? was afraid the guns would jump right out of the cops’s holsters and shoot the chef.

On the other hand, the Burger King at Dodge and Dempster in Evanston, IL, was robbed yesterday at gunpoint for all the cash in the safe — several thousand dollars. I think the BK employees should at least have water pistols filled with soapy water at their disposal. Even a spray bottle of something is distracting.

25. LIRight says:

#15 wyoske: “Nobody in their right mind would want a cop in their business, armed or not.”

Yeah, or uniformed military either.

Tell you what, dickhead…..you’d want most of the people that read or comment on this web site in ANY place of business. Why? Because we know what the hell we’re doing and we’ve been there, done that!

I figured you leftist radicals would be satisfied after your like minded comrade was re-elected last November.

26. UpNorth says:

@25, nope, folks like wyoske won’t be happy until the “re-education” camps are full.

27. Twist says:

Cracker Barrel’s country fried steak and eggs…mmmmmmmmmm

28. apachetears says:

And when Denny’s gets robbed at some point do they call the Police?
    If so what for?
    Denny’s, Didn’t that used to be a place called Sambo’s?
    Denny’s I don’t ever eat there anyway.

29. GruntSgt says:

I love me some Cracker Barrell too, it too is a 100 mile drive over to Missoula but worth it. Being an old Georgia boy it’s the closest I can get to Southern food in Montana. Haven’t set foot in Dennys since before I retired as we had other locals that were better. Definitely won’t now unless Corporate comes out with a positive statement.

30. Nik says:

Jesus Christ! Someone saw a gun? The horror.

Stand-by for in restaurant counselors and grief therapy.

31. Old Trooper says:

@27: Don’t have a Cracker Barrel around here, but when I was down in NC, that was the first place we went for breakfast and that’s exactly what I had. Can’t beat it.

32. MCPO NYC USN (Ret.) says:

911 Operator: Hello, is this an emergency?

Denny’s Manager: Yes, we are being held at gun point by a crazy man … he says he will kill us all.

911 Operator: Remain calm sir!

Denny’s Manager: But he has a gun and he says he will kill us all!

911 Operator: Can we bring our guns?

Denny’s Manager: What?

911 Operator: Can we bring our guns?

Denny’s Manager: What? Oh that! Uh … yes … please bring as many guns as you guys want …

911 Operator: All units, we now have permission from Denny’s to bring our guns. Proceed to Denny’s and eliminate the threat … crazy man with gun.

33. Rindvieh says:

Another future police dispatch

Dispatcher: Car 54 Proceed to the Dennys at 1st and Pine Robbery in progress

Car 54: We’ll get right on that as soon as we get our IHOP order.

34. FatCircles0311 says:

Hysterical children at it again. I’m positive the life stories of these individuals must be hilarious as shit in order for them turn out and act like this.
    #HilariousLibtardUpbringingStoriesNow!

35. Flagwaver says:

I find it funny that the fanatical hippies are completely against guns, but want to see all gun owners killed. How? Are you going to stab them or something? Last time I checked, if you were against guns, then owning a gun would be anathema (that means bad, for all you Marines) :P

Just kidding, love you brothers and sisters.

36. Nik says:

I heard a recording of Al Sharpton saying all guns should be outlawed. And when they are, if someone kills someone else with a knife, go after the knives too. What’s after that? Rocks? Sticks? Hands?

37. Whiskey Bravo says:

What an overreacting idiot. Doesn’t the manager know that cops are supposed to have their guns on them at all times when they are on duty (and are encouraged to do so even when off-duty)? That manager has screwed the pooch once word gets around sufficiently. And with the calls they’re getting at HQ, I bet there are some unhappy campers at corporate, too.

Back in my wildland firefighting days, we used to eat at Denny’s. Mostly, it was in the evenings when we’d go into town after a day of fighting wildfires. US Forest Service gave us vouchers for the local restaurants and Denny’s was a mainstay for many of us Firefighters. But these days, life is a little less hectic and Waffle House is more convenient. Besides the coffee at this particular one near me is better than Denny’s.

So here’s the follow-up on that story. Denny’s does not have a policy of telling cops to leave their guns in their police cars. The police chief in Belleville said it was ‘absurd’ and has told his cops they are not to go to Denny’s any more.

Personally, I would boycott Denny’s, too, but I’ve been in a Denny’s – only once, long ago – and sat between two local cops who were both wearing guns, so the customer who complained is a peabrain who needs to get his act together. And Cracker Barrel is much better, anyway.

Sunday evening — homestyle fried chicken.

39. Virtual Insanity says:

AP article says the manager cited “a posted company policy barring anyone other than uniformed officers from carrying their guns into the restaurant.”

If that’s the case, no Denny’s for me or mine.

40. Virtual Insanity says:

Happened at a Georgia Denny’s in 2010, too.

41. Just an Old Dog says:

Better Idea. Have every cop on the force, on and off duty show up for an hour, look over a menu, drink free water, the leave. If the Manager bitched about it ,, tell him to call the Police.

42. 2-17 Air Cav says:

@41. Apparently, Dennys is a popular target with robbers. I googled “Dennys robbed” and the hits just kept on coming. In fact, there were so many hits of robbery stories, I personally regard Denny as an unsafe place to dine.

@42 – Good reasons to not patronize Denny’s: frequently robbed, doesn’t like cops.

Wait! Do you think maybe the patron who didn’t like the guns worn by the detectives was a prospective robber?

44. 2-17 Air Cav says:

@43. Inside job? The manager? Hmmmm.

45. PavePusher says:

Odd…. I used to open carry into Denny’s near the airport here in Tucson after picking up new inbound Airmen. No-one ever complained, Denny’s made a pile of money and my Airmen got a proper welcome to Tucson. Win-win-win.

I wonder if it was a franchise or chain affiliation?

46. BOYCOTT DENNY'S says:

OK … Call for vote … All in favor … Resolved … The Boycott of Denny’s starts now …

BOYCOTT DENNY’S
    BOYCOTT DENNY’S
    BOYCOTT DENNY’S
    BOYCOTT DENNY’S

47. Eyeball says:

OMG! There were 5 cops with guns in a restaurant. How unsafe can you be. Unsafe for robbers. If Denny’s has a no gun policy for concealed licenses, then I won’t be going there ever again. They have to post a notice on the entrance if they don’t want concealed in the place. Most places just say that no guns are allowed unless they are licensed. Must be some brain dead liberal owner of Denny’s.

48. Hack Stone says:

They plan on making up for the loss of income from Law Enforcement by attracting the Code Pink crowd.

49. Bubblehead Ray says:

#48. They can serve the “Rooty Tooty, Please Don’t Shoot Me” breakfast.

50. Nik says:

Frankly, I feel better when I go into a joint and see cops there.