Irrational fears

| January 14, 2013 | 98 Comments

ADDED: Here’s the scary photo;

gun photo-1

One of our fans on Facebook sent us this message about an irrational over-reaction to the school shootings in the news;

As a registered gun owner in NJ I’ve been ranting and raving about the nonsense the Democrats are trying to pull with gun control/takeover. Today, I had my 17 year old daughter call me from school in tears because she’d been in the office for over an hour with 2 vice principles and the school policeman interrogating her over a picture she posted on Instagram of her hand holding my husband’s new Glock. “Someone” reported the picture, and that it made them feel nervous and intimidated.

Then the police showed up at our home to “see” my husbands gun and encourage him to come get a trigger lock even though it isn’t a law here to have one. I went to the school to get my daughter, they made her remove the picture from her Instagram and told her she wasn’t allowed to talk about the incident. They had 3 police in the school search her locker and gym locker. The reporting person is allowed to stay anonymous.

My daughter can’t defend herself in any way and has to remove a private picture from her Instagram account. They were probably pissed that while trying to intimidate her by telling her how irresponsible it was that her finger was touching the trigger, she responded by telling them her step-dad had cleared the gun prior to handing it to her and that you can clearly see in the picture there wasn’t even a magazine in the gun.

They were surprised that I had approved the picture before it was put up and that I still see nothing wrong with it. I’m not sure what I’m going to do about any of it but wanted to share the insanity.

She didn’t tell us the name of the school or the town, I’m guessing because she doesn’t want it to splash back on her children. We’ve read stories about kids getting suspended for pointing their index finger and drawing pictures of guns and this is just as ridiculous. It doesn’t sound like the teenager threatened anyone, but a picture is somehow threatening all by itself. It’s no wonder that politicians feel pressured to pass anything to appear as if they’re doing something.

Category: Schools

1. I would strongly urge them to talk to a good civil liberties lawyer. They don’t have to do anything, but talk; however, they need to make sure it gets back to the stasi, er, police and school people. Otherwise, I guarantee they will be harrassed and their daughter intimidated and coerced into admitting something that will let them act. Talking with a good lawyer will, hopefully, make them sit back and not act further and maybe get the photo restored too, since the legality of their order to remove the photo is questionable, to say the least. Punch back twice as hard, or they will do more than just punch next time.

2. Bam Bam says:

Sadly I agree. Have seen first hand how much power schools have when they even THINK something is going on at the home, and their interpretation is all that’s needed to cause a crap storm.

3. RunPatRun says:

Schools here run amok on a regular basis with the power they yield. I also agree they should speak with a lawyer if at all possible to do so.

I wonder what this school does to protect its students from the threat of mass murders. I can guess. Nada. But I bet they have a helluva anti-bullying program.

5. One more point: Tell the daughter that if she is called in for any reason, that she is to ask that her parents and her lawyer be called then. That if she is not allowed to do so to say nothing except that she has been told to not to talk without her parents and a laywer present. That if she is put alone with any adult, she should scream loudly and yell STOP! Don’t care if it’s a cop, do it. Record if possible, or even if not. Do not take chances with those people.

6. SFC Holland says:

This is garbage. I can’t stand the direction our country is going. We will all be criminals soon, and all we need to do to earn that monicer is abide by the constitution. Our country is under seige.

7. Contin says:

Put fingers in your ears and repeatedly shout “lawyer” at the top of your lungs until they comply. It shouldn’t take long.

8. MDB says:

I was told a few years ago that my son was too violent because he and his other friends play soldier at recess. This was at a school on a military base. I asked them if they knew what both of his parents did as a profession standing there in uniform…at a school on a military base…full of military kids and spouses…I could not formulate any other words that didn’t involve knife hand and swearing.

9. HMA says:

This crap is getting real old. Its those so called anonymous idiots that seem to be instigating these incidents. Why are responsible gun owners being targeted? Go figure.
    HMA

10. Graybeard says:

I hope they stand up to these bullies in school administrator/police clothing, get a good civil rights lawyer, and sue the school and the police for abuse of power, mental anguish, invasion of privacy, abridgment of freedom of speech, libel, and whatever else they can.

11. Tom Huxton says:

Call the ACLU and get a calling card for the girl to present next time. Expain on the instagram site that the dangerous photo was removed because of a demand (under color of authority) by of the vps.

12. Living in Israel says:

As an Eagle Scout and former camp staff (Shooting Sports!), I’m with Laughing Wolf (#5)– What he said is exactly in line with youth protection training, and no administrator wants to get anywhere near that can of worms. Good thinking!

One thing to add… if it’s a photograph of a minor, do you really want to post that on your blog? Regardless of the situation, I don’t see how posting a picture of a minor helps anything. If anything, with or without daddy’s permission, it could just as easily make her look like one of those Facebook nuts who need to pose with a gun just to feel better about themselves.

13. PintoNag says:

“You WILL comply. Resistance is futile.”

Sound familiar?

It appears that the Second isn’t the only Amendment that’s being attacked. It looks like the First is also being threatened.

It also appears that we aren’t a free country anymore.

14. 2549 says:

“It’s no wonder that politicians feel pressured to pass anything to appear as if they’re doing something.”

I’m thinking it’s a chicken-egg thing, here. I think the MSM and democrats, I repeat myself, are pushing the paranoia and it’s bleeding down to schools and local PD’s. If Obama, instead of appointing another task force, just said everyone needs to take a minute and chill, would we be here? If Cuomo, instead of pleading for more gun grab legislation, said everyone needs to calm down, would we be here? The politicians and media have proclaimed that something must be done. Well, the schools are doing something. Putting pictures on private collections on instagram is now taboo.

15. jonp says:

I encourage you to make this lady and the school in question famous. They can not prohibit her from not only talking about it but force her to take down a picture on a private site. Can everyone here say LAWSUIT

When the shit hits the fan, most of us who are too cozy, soft, or concerned for our families or job security and will continue to look to others to be our voice and muscle. These things shouldn’t be a consideration in our wonderful democracy but when the designed tension among the three brances begins to fail and the three act as one in harmony, trouble is near. When those we elect are willing to begin pulling the threads that form our constitutional republic, the only voices and muscle that remain aren’t to be found in Washington. If this sounds alarmist, it is. If it sounds foolish, wait.

It’s beginning to look like the insanity of the left is contageous. This is simply nuts.

Can only join the chorus of those who have advised consultation with a good lawyer. It needs to be a local one who is familiar with all the local laws, codes and ordinances. Being a respected member of the community would be an added bonus.

Okay, you can see I did not resolve to make 2013 the year I use Spellcheck. Maybe if I just slow down and read my comments before I post them…

19. ROS says:

WHY does she have to remove the picture? With what will she, a minor, be charged if she doesn’t? What authority and justification have they to search her home? How and for what reason can they forbid her from discussing the “incident”?

I would like answers.

20. Living in Israel says:

@12, seeing the picture, I withdraw my concerns.

21. Swamper says:

The trigger on that Glock appears to be in the rearmost position. This means one of three things. The pistol was dry fired on an empty chamber, snap cap, or round that did not go boom.

Could the policemen who were called to look at this not see that?

22. Common Sense says:

Definitely involve a lawyer, they cannot “make’ her remove a photo from a private site. Also sue for pain and suffering for the humiliation over something that was in no way illegal.

Besides that, the second thing I would do is pull my daughter from the school and enroll her in a charter school or homeschool her.

My biggest regret is not homeschooling my kids. They would have had a far better education and any worries about fascist school staff or security would have been negated.

23. Susan says:

I doubt the police that showed up had any authority to search the home. I would guess that they showed up, said there was some concern about the welfare of a minor, and could they see the gun. Could the police see this is ridiculous? Probably, so they made a suggestion so as not to seem idiotic, but with the welfare of a minor involved, better safe than sorry – can you image what would happen to the cops if the kid got hurt?

As to the school administration – they can’t make her take anything down or refrain from talking about the incident, but they can make her life unpleasant if she doesn’t. Such is the power trip of school administrators. Too little work, too much ego.

I would also recommend a good lawyer because this incident will get out – likely because the “reporter” will start bragging. Then those who have been made to look stupid will start trying to justify their ridiculous existence. It is best to have your ducks in a row. As ludicrous as this may sound – try the ACLU. They are (1) free and (2) influential with teachers unions. If not, the NRA might be able to recommend someone. Someone local is best because they understand the politics, however most “civil rights” folks like Amendments 1, and 3-10 and the Second Amendment not so much.

24. Bam Bam says:

How dare you put that picture up! I had to send my kids to bed early to avoid them being shot by that scary assault pistol!

Seriously tho, this is insane and yeah… Scary for the country. I feel for all the boys and girls overseas watching this crap go down from the outside. Must be mind blowing.

While I will agree with the content of the letter/article, only a moron posts stuff like this on social media.

Especially considering the issues at hand.

Just an observation.

26. LL says:

Well obviously that pretty manicure and bracelet indicate lethal intent! What is wrong with you people! Haha

Also, call me crazy, but that hand does not look like it is that of a 17 year old female.

28. USMCE8Ret says:

Idocy – like this old report (see link to video). #8 MDB reminded me of this story, ’cause of the “knife hand”.

29. Mr Chips says:

I am a teacher in a major urban district. First, ask you daughter if she was in a room with ANY adult (school administrator, teacher, cop, etc.) and the door was closed. If the answer was yes, get a lawyer and go after them for sexual harassment. (The 1st thing I was taught in ed school, maybe the only thing of value, was never be alone with a minor in a room with the door closed). Next go after the school on a 1st amendment violation. Make sure that the administration is fully aware that they are not allowed to talk with your minor child without you or your lawyer present, for ANY reason. Then make sure they bend to your schedule, not the other way around. Make it very clear that if your daughter suffers ANY negative consequences at school, even from her peers, you are going after the school.
    I know, it sounds like an overreaction. You have to understand that there is a significant percentage of school administrators (at all levels) who are petty tyrants. That is why they became administrators. A massive pushback, especially if it costs the school (or them personally) money/time is the only language they will understand.
    Good Luck.

30. pete says:

Farsebook is owned and operated by libtards,,stay the hell off it!

31. Kid says:

Well, if she pulled the trigger with her thumb in that position.
    Yes, instead of doing something sensible like putting security people at schools, lowering unemployment, making school campuses safer all around, libtards go through facebook/instagram posts.

32. Kid says:

Pete. Wouldn’t touch facebook with a 10 foot pole myself. For me, and no offense to anyone else, if I’m not in touch with someone currently, then I don’t want to be. Plus the vast majority of people I talk to present facebook as a pain in the *.
    And it just exposes you to anyone who wants to know something. employer, future employer.. shakin my head anyone uses it for anything but a sanitized resume.

33. Roger in Republic says:

These people will not be satisfied until this whole country is just one big, unarmed, sheep pen. An the wolves circling the pen will be a mix of armed bandits and armed agents of the government. Welcome to the Gulag, subjects of the organs of the all powerful state..

@27. I had the same thought when I saw the pic.

“The reporting person is allowed to stay anonymous.”

This individual put it on social media.

Give me a break.

I support gun rights, don’t get me wrong.

But ignorance and stupidy are similar in concept and usually end up creating problems.

Just an observation.

Every time one of these silly panic attacks by the fearful herd on the left comes up, I get that image in my head from “Mad Max” of Toecutter, the biker, squealing “Oh, I’m SO afraid of old ladies with guns!”

Now, no one wants to live in a shoot-‘em-up environment. That’s too much like living in a neighborhood full of gang-bangers. Nobody wants that.

But the panicky kneejerk crap coming into the media from stuff like this makes me wonder — very seriously, too — just what a bunch of sissies and witless wonders are living in urban centers in this country, and how the hell do I get as far away from them as possible.

If the assumption by those braindead clowns is that a picture of a gun makes you a threat of some kind, and always unspecified, of course, then I tremble to think what they’ll do/say/whatever when the real SH and IT hit the fan. All I see coming out of that bunch of nellies is ‘Help me! Help me! Help me!”, because they’re so stupid they don’t even know they’re alive.

Durn, I’m gettin’ cranky in my old age.

I posted this elsewhere, but it applies here also:

“The weak are the most treacherous of all. They come to the strong and drain them. They are insatiable. They are always parched and bitter. They are everyone’s concern and like vampires, they suck our life’s blood.” – Bette Davis

@37.

You and that Bette Davis kick.

Spooky.

GT — some things are timeless. Miss Bette is one of them.

Fair enough.

41. FatCircles0311 says:

Teach them about sex in kindergarten, hand out condoms and birth control, and enable their transgender mental illness. Oh, American public educators you are so wise.

Don’t let them see a gun though.

42. Fen says:

I’m in total agreement that its an “irrational over-reaction”

but one nit-pick: you always treat a gun as if it was loaded, even when you know its not. That means keeping your finger out of the trigger well, even if Dad insists the weapon is cleared.

43. Old Trooper says:

@41: Don’t forget a medical procedure performed on a minor without the parents knowledge or permission (abortion).

This is the part that gets me” ““Someone” reported the picture, and that it made them feel nervous and intimidated.”

Are we fricken serious? Yes, that’s how pussified our country has become. Unfortunately, that’s how most adults are, too, it’s all about feelings. Whether it involves little Billy’s self esteem (can’t use red marker to correct papers, because it will hurt his feelings, can’t keep score because we’re all winners) or some chucklehead adult that “feels” intimidated by the site of an inanimate object that is not being pointed at you, is not accompanied by a written or verbal threat, etc.

But I bet they have a helluva anti-bullying program.

Which probably consists of the usual “zero tolerance” bullshit like this here.

Defend yourself, and you’re punished just as severely (or worse) than the aggressor.

And we wonder why the “bullied” bring guns to school. Fists are just as taboo.

45. Twist says:

The only way I would agree with the school’s actions is if she had posted “This is what I’m going to use to shoot up the school.” If she didn’t post some variation of that then it is none of the school’s fracking buisness.

46. Enigma4you says:

School systems would have students and parents believe that their rights are suspended anytime they are on campus. Most do not know better and put up with it. Administrators for the most part are no more than bullies with a title. More and more schools try to punish kids for activities that have nothing to do with school, they they to force a false code of ethics and morals onto kids that often do not match those of the parents. I have spent more time in the principles office as an adult than I ever did as I kid and my children for the most part are very well behaved. 2 years ago my son drove my jeep to school, the dog hit on it in what was supposed to be a random search, the dog hit on no other cars. My jeep was ” searched” to the point of being damaged by the staff and the private dog handler. My son was not allowed to call me until the event was over. Nothing was found and when I went and questioned the administration I was told I had no other recourse. I order my biscuits from the bastard now…

47. Country Boy says:

Insane, hard to believe just 24 years ago the student parking lot at my high school was full of pick ups with full gun racks. Further insanity is the Police going to the home and asking to see the weapon… without a warrant?? Be damned if I would have entertained them.

48. Twist says:

My High School guidence counsler was so anti-military that she told my recruiter that I was a drug dealer and Satan worshiper so he wouldn’t sign me up. That was pretty much her MO with any student that was enlisting.

49. jerry920 says:

Wow, that is frightening. My son enjoys skeet and trap shooting (He’s 11.) Sometimes I Facebook his better shots. Since I live in the PRM (Peoples Republic of Maryland) I can expect a visit from the Stasi sooner or later.

50. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

@37 In a similar vein,

Whenever I want to tweak my liberal idiot brother in law I just point out that while liberals all claim to love nature they miss the most crucial point of nature. There is one punishment for everything, death. If you are weak you die, if you are lazy you die, if you are not careful you die, and if you are a predator is not cautious in taking down large prey you can still die….

Your point is well made the weak who are afraid of everything want everyone else to bend to their will so we are all equally weak, instead of embracing those things which might make us all equally strong, will be our ruination.