Christopher Dorner’s military records

| February 8, 2013 | 91 Comments

SWoMyGosh sent us a link to a San Diego local TV station which claims they’ve seen Christopher Dorner’s military records and I don’t see anything that makes him all that “special”;

Age: 33
Home of Record: La Palma, CA
Date Commissioned: 3 July 2002
Loss Date: 1 Feb 2013
Rank/Date of Rank: Lieutenant / 1 August 2006
Service Dates/Assignments:
Various Reserve Units 1Dec2009 21Jan2010
Navy Reserve NAS Fallon, NV 7Mar2009 30Nov2009
Navy Mobilization Processing Site (NMPS)
San Diego, CA 23Apr2007 29May2007
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Sea Service Deployment Medal
Navy Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon
Armed Forces Reserve Medal w/ “M” Device
Rifle Marksman Ribbon
Pistol Expert Medal

I’ve seen news footage of the LA Police Department this morning and it looks like an old West fort. Snipers on the roof of the building and officers patrolling the sidewalk with scary black rifles and body armor. I guess they’re worried. If he operates like he writes, they should be.

Category: General Whackos

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Update On the Manhunt for Chris Dorner in Big Bear | SOOPERMEXICAN | February 8, 2013
  1. B Woodman says:

EBRs for thee, but not for me?
    Normally I wouldn’t wish this type of attack for anyone, but seeing it’s the LA po-po, I’ll make an exception.
    Now, you sheeple huddling in the corner, bleating for your lives, now do you see the consequences of disarming almost everyone? Probably not. Keep on bleating on.

2. Al T. says:

From the other thread, it’s interesting that he has no personal awards. As far as the EBRs, note that they are personal firearms, not department issue.

I suspect he’s either dead near Big Bear or has another vehicle and used the burning of his truck to focus attention elsewhere.

3. Enigma4you says:

I just read an article in USA today about this guy, the LA police chief said “of course he is dangerous, we trained him” this is the same group of numb nuts that were making a big deal out of an inert law rocket trainer last month that they got off the street.

I can’t help but wonder how Dorner got thru the la screening process to begin with.

4. Lucky says:

Why don’t they just use that ‘rocket launcher’ they were so damn proud of a while back? The expended AT-4 from the gun buy back program

I watched one of the videos, from Big Bear, which cleared out when Dorner was reported to be in the area. One of the people interviewed said he was ‘scare, favored gun control, but wished he had one right now.’

No gloating here.

Ex-PH2: One quote I love is that “A conservative is just a liberal who has been mugged.” Hopefully a good scare does the same trick.

Al T.: yeah, that is interesting. You’d think that an O-3 doing a 1-year tour in-theater would leave with something other than a campaign medal and an overseas ribbon. The Navy’s fairly stingy with awards, but I don’t think they’re typically quite that stingy.

8. Lucky says:

Agreed Hondo, but I truly don’t think that this will cause large numbers of the California subspecies of liberal to convert…

Lucky: sadly, you’re probably right. There are plenty of that famous subgroup dumbcluckus californicus out there.

10. Lucky says:

Hondo, also good point, most of our officers, including the Navy Maritime Civil Affairs Group folks had Navy Marine Corps Achievement medals or higher

The media appear to be focusing more on his tenure with the police than his military record. I do have to snicker a little when the LAPD says ‘of course he’s dangerous, we trained him”.

Still not gloating.

Lucky: the fact that he went to the sandbox with no personal decorations doesn’t surprise me much – the Navy is pretty award “stingy” (though not quite as much as the USMC), and some reserve units of all services do a piss-poor job of taking care of their folks on top of that. But his coming back w/o any type of personal decoration does make me stop and go, “Hmmmmmmm.” Unless he was pretty useless, you’d think his command would have put him in for a NCOM or NAM.

Can’t say for sure, but my impression is that the Navy isn’t usually so stingy with awards that they send most O-3′s home with a handshake after a year of service in a combat zone.

Hondo, I got the impression from looking at that list that he was kind of a slacker in the Navy and a slacker in the LAPD.

But our Master Chief will surely have something to say about it.

14. Tequila says:

“of course he’s good, we trained him” said by the guy whose subordinates shot 2 innocent women in a pickup in a case of mistaken identity hunting this dirt bag down.

15. Old Trooper says:

Well, it’s a good thing that Kalifornia got rid of all those eeeeevil “assault weapons” and those eeeeevil 30 round mags, otherwise, this guy could have killed many more people!!!

Ex-PH2: I’m gloating, knowing that the anti-gun leftists are wetting their collective diapers, right now, because no one is there to protect them and they are the ones who have to “flee”.

16. Lucky says:

I very much look forward to MCPO and what he and his favorite goat have to say in regards to this. I used to have all kinds of respect for the po po, heck almost became one, still thinking about it. I’m just not a big enough asshole. The police response to this and other threats has slowly become more and more militaristic. I mean, yes, there are instances where they may need rifles and MRAPs, but really? We are the land of the free, not some third rate country that is full of land mines.

17. MAJMike says:

Hmmm, “…who watches the Watchers?”

These are the same folks who think that only the Police should have firearms of any kind. I’ll not preach to our choir, here, but you all get my drift.

18. Anonymous says:

Being at NAS Fallon for 9 months may have been what put him over the top. A real garden spot.

19. Lucky says:

You mean, quis custodiate ipsos custodis? That’s the Latin translation more or less. I don’t think the cops need MRAPs and 240Bs, but in the same vein they need more firepower than just their 870′s and Glocks…

20. Denise Williams says:

How long ’til you can get his actual records? And why is it so significant he was in the military? Perhaps to deflect the blame for this outcome away from the police department that trained and hired this guy?

21. Anonymous says:

A deployment definitely should have got him a NAM. A MIUWU is a ‘commissioned” unit and the CO of the unit can approve a NAM himself.

A Line LT with no warfare device? I haven’t heard his designator but I’m assuming intel. Not exactly a hardcore community.

22. Lucky says:

That’s exactly why it is being put out that he’s a Veteran, LAPD wants to shift the blame for hiring someone so unstable and unsuited for life as a Sheepdog…

23. jerry920 says:

I wonder how many, “mistaken identity” shootings there will be until this guy is caught. The 2 women delivering papers were lucky to get out of that alive.

24. Lucky says:

I’d guess quite a few, cops get jumpy and trigger fingers get itchy. It’s why they recruit combat vets, so they don’t have negligent discharges into innocent civilians

• Jonn Lilyea says:

I’m just waiting for Colonel Trautman to come and bail out the LAPD.

Colonel Trout

Trautman: It’s good to hear your voice Johnny, it’s been a long time. Look John, you’ve done some damage here, they don’t want anymore trouble. That’s why I’ve come. I want to come in there and fly you the hell out. Just you and me. We’ll work this thing out together. Is that fair enough?
      Rambo: Where did you come from Sir?
      Trautman: Bragg.
      Rambo: I tried to get in touch with you, but the guys in Bragg never knew where to find you.
      Trautman: You know I haven’t been spending much time there lately, they’ve got me down in D.C. I’m shining a seat with my ass.
      Rambo: I wish I was back in Bragg now.
      Trautman: We’ll talk about that when you come in.
      Rambo: I can’t do that Sir.
      Trautman: Look John, we can’t have you running around out there killing friendly civilians.
      Rambo: There are no friendly civilians!
      Trautman: But I’m your friend Johnny! I was there with you knee-deep in all that blood and guts. I covered your ass more than once. Seems like baling you out of trouble’s got to be a life-time achievement for me.
      Rambo: There wouldn’t be no trouble except for that king-shit cop! All I wanted was something to eat. But the man kept pushing Sir.
      Trautman: Well you did some pushing on your own John.
      Rambo: They drew first blood, not me.
      Trautman: Look Johnny, let me come in and get you the hell out of there!
      Rambo: They drew first blood…
      Trautman: Rambo, are you still reading me? Covey leader to Raven! Rambo! Acknowledge!

[...]

Trautman: I don’t think you understand. I didn’t come to rescue Rambo from you. I came here to rescue you from him.
      Teasle: Well, we all appreciate your concern Colonel, I will try to be extra careful!
      Trautman: I’m just amazed he allowed any of your posse to live.
      Teasle: Is that right?
      Trautman: Strictly speaking, he slipped up. You’re lucky to be breathing.
      Teasle: That’s just great. Colonel, you came out here to find out why one of your machines blew a gasket!
      Trautman: You don’t seem to want to accept the fact you’re dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who’s the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who’s been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition. Well Rambo was the best.

25. Ex-LCDR says:

He wasn’t on either the FY-12 or FY-13 LCDR selection list. Based on a comission date of 2002 that makes him a 2X non-select for O4 … not a particularly easy feat.

26. Old Trooper says:

@16: I, too, almost became one 20 years ago, but looking at the force I would have been on, I said no thanks (I was asked by several members of that force to sign on). Not because of the people that I knew on the force, but because of some of the ones that I only knew of through reputation and those are the ones that give all the rest a bad rep.

Ex-LCDR: that was indeed the reason given elsewhere for his separation from the USNR – 2x nonselect to for promotion. The timing also works – he was separated 6 mo to the day after he achieved 6 years TIG as a LT.

28. Charles Rane says:

I agree with you lucky I am not a fan of the police, the vast majority are corrupt and abuse their authority. The LAPD deserved to lose a few guys and I hope this guy gets a few more.

Jonn: I’ll try to resist the urge to post references to “Group W” and “Alice’s Restaurant” as a counterpoint. (smile)

30. C2/2000AF says:

LOL Just watched that scene while at work. I need to watch that movie again, just so I can see Dennehy harass Rambo for being a drifter.

CNN is pounding this story pretty hard. Instead of the northeast storm, focused on Dorner manhunt.

31. Old Trooper says:

I wonder if CNN is going to cover the 2 woment that were shot by police while delivering newspapers? I can understand in the confusion of the situation, where they would mistake 2 women in a Toyota for a big black man in a Nissan Titan. Pictures of the truck they were in are pretty damning. It looks like Swiss Cheese.

32. David says:

My view is a) older and b) Army, but he describes himself as an expert shot yet has a Marksman? Maybe the Navy is different, but for us that meant “almost incompetent but squeaked by”. Sort of like his awards, which we would have characterized as all “I was there” stuff.

33. Charles Rane says:

@32 they will just cover it up like they always do.. It really is scary how little accountability the police and our government have.

And it scares me to no end that there are alot of people who think that the police should be the only ones with firearms.

34. bullnav says:

He was first in zone on the FY12 board. Since he did not select on the FY13 board (which makes him a “2XFOS” or two times failure of selection), then the individual is separated on the first day of the 7th month after the “select” message is released.

Interestingly enough, his designator was 1305 which is, “An Unrestricted Line Officer who
    is a member of the aeronautical
    community and whose rating as a
    pilot or NFO has been terminated.” I have not seen folks with this designator on active duty, but I have seen it for reservists. I suspect he was never a Naval Aviator, but he may have gone to flight school and washed out. The part of the record that says “various Naval Aviation training units” somewhat validates this.

35. Tman says:

Give me a P, give me a S, give me a T.

Maybe he offed himself or will soon?

36. Scouts Out says:

Nice job with the First Blood quotes, Jonn. But you forgot the best one:

Teasle: Are you telling me that 200 of our men against your boy is a no-win situation for us? Trautman: You send that many, don’t forget one thing.
    Teasle: What?
    Trautman: A good supply of body bags.

The media has some serious issues covering this one:

1. Can’t use the crazy right wing vet meme because he isn’t. They have sort of painted themselves into a corner on this one – since he supports their agenda, apparently in total, they have no boogie man.

2. Must be very, very careful how they report on his middle class, white upbringing lest the parallel to someone else becomes obvious. They should find a way to twist this into yet another racist rant, though.

3. Then there is that entire affirmative action, hire-any-minority-no-matter-how-unsuited for duty hiring practice thing which is counterproductive but has been done routinely. Can’t ask, “Why was this clown hired as a police officer?”

Oh, I almost pity the media on this one. Sort of. Gloating does seem more appropriate.

38. Scouts Out says:

33- If I’m talking to people who haven’t been in the military, I tend to say things like so-and-so “was a pretty good marksman.” I’m typically describing someone who qualified expert, or at least sharpshooter but I find that marksman translates well to civilians even though it means something totally different to soldiers.

39. Trent says:

There was an interview here locally (Oregon) with a guy who claims to have served with Dorner. He stated they were in flight school together and Dorner washed out and was then sent on to other duties. That would explain the 1305 designator.

40. C2/2000AF says:

Most media outlets have not reported the 2 women being shot when I watched last night at work. Media wont discuss casualties or vigilante justice I imagine.

41. PintoNag says:

@42 They’re waiting for the lawsuit.

42. Twist says:

@39, They are already going with the “the left wing stuff added to his manifesto was added by the right wing to make us look bad” meme.

43. Old Trooper says:

@42: I’m shocked that they wouldn’t report on cops with spastic colons who are shooting first and asking questions later (that’s sarcasm, btw). It would go against their agenda to point out how trigger happy the police are being int this situation, because they will have a harder time convincing the low information citizens that it’s good to have only the police armed.

44. 68W58 says:

Yeah, yesterday Ace had a link to Sooper Mexican who had a post showing how the media had edited all of the lefty lunacy out of his manifesto, can’t discredit the brand.

45. 68W58 says:

That’s “memory hole” stuff as far as I’m concerned, which ought to shame the media and concern the rest of us, but it will not get much attention because the “megaphone in the echo chamber” MSM will tactfully ignore it.

46. Flagwaver says:

You know what I find suspiciously left out of all the news reports? The fact that an LAPD squad car pulled over a truck that matched the description of the asshat. Then, without verifying who was inside, opened fire. One of the newspaper delivery women was struck in the hand and the other was struck in the back. In another incident, both the driver and passenger were not injured, but the cops still unloaded on their vehicle.

So, this has to be asked, are they actually looking to apprehend the man or execute him?

47. I know at least a few in LAPD and LASO who’ve served in Iraq who are very good coppers and very good shooters. and are not mental cases.

48. Scouts Out says:

48- Expect the cops to shoot on sight, or at least the slightest suspicious movement. This guy is looking to kill as many cops as he can and if they close in on him he will try to take as many with him as he can. My prediction is that this guy goes after the cop he filed the report on in a suicide mission, he might even be wearing a vest laden with explosives. This guy is not looking to come out of this situation alive.

49. USMCE8Ret says:

@48 – SoCal cops will likely serve up street justice on this one… spare the taxpayers a trial and such.

Other scenarios are: (1) He’s holed up in an abandoned mine somewhere and the California National Guard are on their way;

(2) He offed himself and they haven’t found the body yet, or

(3) Obviously, he’s hiding out and waiting for suicide by cop.