I want to hear this story

| February 8, 2013 | 85 Comments

Shoot first

I want to know what two women out delivering newspapers could do to make the Los Angeles Police Department think that they were a single large black man on a killing rampage. I want to hear that story. But, of course, we’re not hearing it from the LA Times;

Two women who were shot by Los Angeles police in Torrance early Thursday during a massive manhunt for an ex-LAPD officer were delivering newspapers, sources said.

The women, shot in the 19500 block of Redbeam Avenue, were taken to area hospitals, Torrance police Lt. Devin Chase said. They were not identified. One was shot in the hand and the other in the back, according to Jesse Escochea, who captured video of the victims being treated.

It was not immediately known what newspapers the women were delivering. After the shooting, the blue pickup was riddled with bullet holes and what appeared to be newspapers lay in the street alongside.

Of course, this is the same police department that made news for a week by by paying $200 for an inert piece of fiberglass that they called a rocket propelled grenade launcher. It sounds to me that Dorner dodged a bullet by getting kicked off of the LAPD force. He should be grateful that he’s no longer associated with these pants wetters. Yeah, Unless he offs himself, Dorner is going to be shot by the LAPD. That’s fairly obvious at this point. But at this point, if anyone from the LAPD finds his lifeless body, they’ll still shoot it up so it doesn’t come back Hollywood style and kill them all.

LA residents should seriously stay off the streets, not because of Dorner.

Thanks to Old Trooper for the link.

Category: Politics

1. Country Singer says:

An attorney representing two women who were delivering newspapers when they were shot by police during a massive manhunt for an ex-LAPD officer called the incident “unacceptable,” saying his clients looked nothing like the suspect.

Emma Hernandez, 71, was delivering the Los Angeles Times with her daughter, Margie Carranza, 47, in the 19500 block of Redbeam Avenue in Torrance on Thursday morning when Los Angeles police detectives apparently mistook their pickup for that of Christopher Dorner, the 33-year-old fugitive suspected of killing three people and injuring two others.

“The problem with the situation is it looked like the police had the goal of administering street justice and in so doing, didn’t take the time to notice that these two older, small Latina women don’t look like a large black man,” Jonas said.

2. USMCE8Ret says:

A couple of things here:

(1) I’m not a LEO, but if I were, I suspect I’d know not to arbitrarily shoot at any BOLO vehicle that meets the description of the vehicle I’m looking for without first making positive ID, and

(2) If you live in SoCal and own a blue truck (of any make and model), you may want to put it in the garage and not drive it until this all blows over.

3. ComancheDoc says:

I dont always shoot first but when I do its always at the wrong target. Stay bloody LAPD.

I know some people who live in that area and I feel bad they have to deal with police like these. Teh Stoopid it burns…

Shoot first. Don’t bother asking questions.

Great police work. Glad I do not live in LA. I can actually see this happening in Chicago. CPD cops do jump the gun on a regular basis. Yes, they are trigger-happy.

5. Twist says:

I definetly would not want to be a large black man or own a blue truck in LA right now.

6. Old Tanker says:

Good grief, they unloaded on that vehicle!!

I won’t shed a tear if they shoot Dorner but c’mon guys….that’s ridiculous…

7. F7 says:

I blame it on the scary Assault Weapons and high capacity magazines. Luckily these devices of WAR were not in the hands of law-abiding citizens or criminals.

8. pete says:

i thought the perp’s truck was bolo’d as silver?

9. ohio says:

And the goofy chief (who called a fiberglass tube a grenade launcher)stated that Dorner is dangerous because “we trained him”.
    If this is the case, the entire department is dangerous to the general public.

“When policemen break the law, there is no law” -Billy Jack

10. USMCE8Ret says:

@8 – I overheard “light blue”… easily mistaken for as silver I suppose, but my eyesight is better than that.

Either way, it was a bad shooting and the LAPD is likely going to get sued for a few million bucks on this one.

11. Anonymous says:

LL Cool J may want to stay home for a while…

12. PintoNag says:

Memo the the California police: “Buck fever” is not permissable on a city street unless you live in Fairbanks, Alaska, and a moose attacks your cruiser.

But that truck is not light blue. It’s just blue. It doesn’t even approach silver, either.

Don’tcha just love trigger-happy cops with bad eyesight.

14. PintoNag says:

Seriously, though…these cops are nervous, and it would be best to avoid anything in the area that even remotely LOOKS like a cop until this is over. Bad, being shot by a criminal; worse, being ventilated by a scared cop.

15. kp32 says:

But the cops were chanting the magic words as they were shooting:

Quit resisting! Quit resisting!

That makes it legal and perfectly acceptable.

16. Trent says:

I am guessing that these two ladies will own the LAPD after all is said and done.

How is it they mis-identified this truck as possibly being Dorner’s? They have the capability of searching DMV records at their fingertips. They could have ordered the driver and passengers out of the vehicle at gunpoint. They could have done several things to assure themselves it was either Dorner or not.

Yet the police put over twenty rounds through the back of their truck. LAPD better get deeper and richer pockets.

17. Lucky says:

Jesus what a Goat Rope!!

18. 77 11C20 says:

At the time it did not even match the description of the truck he driving, but was driving near one of his identified future victims. Though I will give them a small point of not being able to see through the blackened rear window and driving slowly the wrong way on the street.

19. Twist says:

@12, I’ve actually missed part of a day at work because a moose was standing next to my truck and wouldn’t move.

20. OldSoldier54 says:

@4 Ex-PH2

“Shoot first. Don’t bother asking questions.”

Seems to a LOT of that going around.

Shades of Jose Guerña …

21. USAF says:

Obviously the LAPD are not the “Marksman” that Dorner is. Seriously, 20+ rounds and only 2 of the rounds hit the women? It may be safer for the police to be limited to 7 rounds!!!

22. OldSoldier54 says:

Ah … that would be: Seems to be a …

Wish there were an Edit function for typos … alas …

23. Cacti35 says:

Christ I counted at least 30 bullet holes in the Toyota Tundra that says “Tundra” on the tail gate. They were looking for a Nissan Titan. The Titan that he was driving had a big rack on the top though I don’t know if they knew that in the BOLO. Anyway, they have to be awful trigger happy and sure as hell did not know what their target was. They will pay big time for that screw up.

First, you do a felony-stop on the vehicle, you don’t just start blasting at darkened windows. Pathetic, but that seems to be more common down there.

Twist — a moose? A moose was your excuse? I never tried that one. If I couldn’t come up with anything else, I used a rampaging fever and a bout of the epizootic. And that is ‘rampaging’, as opposed to ‘raging’.

I did try the ‘wolf at the back door’ thing once.

25. Al T. says:

As noted by Pat Rogers, the bullet holes in the tailgate are disturbing. IMHO, that’s not just incompetent target ID, it’s piss poor marksmanship as well.

26. 68W58 says:

Again-driving slowly down the opposite side of the street is typical of newspaper deliverers-if you are putting a paper in the box at the end of someone’s driveway from the driver’s side that’s what you would be doing. Citizens have to be able to go about their normal business without worrying that the cops will light them up because they got twitchy-no excuse for the LAPD.

27. Twist says:

@24, My Platoon Sergeant at the time had me take a picture of it to show as proof.

28. kp32 says:

@25- The cops thought he was lying down in the bed of the truck.

29. pete says:

those poor women will get some money and possibly a new truck outta this mess but,,they will be mind-fuk’d forever!
    no friggin excuses for this cluster fuk at all.

30. PintoNag says:

@19 I got chased by one of our town mulies (mule deer) a couple of weeks ago at my apartment. Wasn’t armed at the time; had to run and dive into my car.

Those women’s guardian angels were working overtime, because there were several rounds at head level through that back window. Those women are lucky to still be breathing.

PN, I counted 22 bullet holes at the cab height of that pickup. They are lucky to be alive at all.

No excuse for that. I don’t care if they thought Dorner was hanging off the side mirrors. No excuse. Period. They could have shot out the tires and done less damage.

32. kp32 says:

What further proof is needed about how wrong Dorner was about the LAPD? /sarc off

If soldiers in Aghanistan pulled something like this, there would be media outrage and a court martial. These guys will get medals and promotions.

33. Smaj says:

LAPD cops are gonna kill the cop killer. I don’t think they’re too concerned about innocents getting killed or wounded in the process. If that sounds pretty harsh, oh well.

34. 68W58 says:

On another board I read the question was posed as to whether or not these cops will face charges-the most likely answer seems to be probably not. Sure, they acted “without malice”, but maybe one of the TAH lawyer types can tell me if you have to show malice to charge someone with something like reckless endangerment, or what kinds of charges might be appropriate.

35. Old Tanker says:

Ex-PH2

It looked like the tires on the driver’s side were flat…keep counting!

36. kp32 says:

It was clearly self defense your honor. I feared for my life.

Pretty tight grouping, BTW.

37. Old Trooper says:

It seems to me, if I recall correctly, that a man was shot dead in his vehicle by a trigger happy cop in LA a while back, because the cop thought he was dangerous. I guess the residents of LA need to worry about the cops more than the criminals.

OT, yeah, I was just counting the bulletholes on the cab of the truck.

Doesn’t it make you wonder if the cops said ‘Oh, shit!’ when they saw it was not Dorner?

39. Charles Rane says:

This is just another example of government abusing their power what happens if an armed citizen is being wrongly fired upon by the police and the citizen returns fire and kills the cop? Death Penalty probably..

40. ItAllFades says:

Those women are lucky that the cops who shot them are terrible at aiming. Look at that spread….jesus.

41. MAJMike says:

Good thing they can’t shoot for $hit.

Thugs with badges.

42. PALADIN says:

Yeah i would say they got a lot of splainin to do.
    How in the fuck you could fire on a truck with a totally different color is beyond me ???
    The majority of the LAPD resembles the Mexican Federales , rather than a modern American Police Dept.
    And thats not my statement, thats what my fiance says.
    (She’s been a cop in Maryland for over 20 yrs. )

Not suprized this retread is an Obama lover either.

43. The Dude says:

The Dude hates cops I used to get hassled by the campus police all the time after I got back from Iraq, most cops have never served so they have an inferiority complex with vets and most of the cops I have dealt with wouldn’t have made it in the military just a bunch of fat slobs.

44. royh says:

They did it twice:

“The second shooting involved Torrance police officers, who were stationed nearby in the event LAPD needed them. When the officers heard the gunshots, they headed toward

At that point, a driver in another pickup truck that look similar to Dorner’s drove toward them on Flagler Lane near Beryl Street. Officers, suspecting it was Dorner, purposely collided with the truck and shot at him.”

I know the end of the first paragraph is cut off…it’s like that on the site, too.

45. YatYas says:

Not trying to justify the 2 shooting incidents, but they occurred when it was dark. It’s hard to judge the color and exact make of a vehicle or who is inside the vehicle in those conditions. However, even if they were driving all over the place (drivers delivering newspapers early in the morning)cannot see enough reason to open fire even though officers new Dorner was wanted for murder and had shot at 4 officers killing 1 and wounding 2. Thank God, the 2 ladies and gentleman survived.

It does seem kind of wrong to judge all law enforcement officers by the actions of a few. It would be kind of like using Iraq veterans like Dorner to judge the rest of us that served there.

46. Charles Rane says:

If they had tried that with me I would have taken a few of them with me, I keep my AR and a 12 guage under my seat with easy access, my old lady bitches at me for it but you never know.. Cop or no cop if you shoot at me I am gonna return fire with extreme prejudice.

47. Reaperman says:

If Dorner’s plan was to make the police look bad, he seems to have done a helluva job. I mean he’s still done wrong, and is probably going to get shot dead for it if he can’t get out of the LA area before he’s encountered.

I wonder if he’s hiding in a woodland hole somewhere, or if he’s grabbed a car and left the area. Heck, he could have found a nice quiet spot to shoot himself and may never be found.

48. Charles Rane says:

@45 How about postively IDing your target before opening fire it is absurd that troops overseas have less lattitude for shooting people than police in our country do..

If you’re in Iraq and you shoot up a car with civilians in it your ass is going to be standing on the rug in front of the old man.. These cops will probably get a commendation or something.

49. Curt says:

Ho lee shit, the first shooting was just over 1/2 mile from my mother-in-law…she is fine, but what she described as a hullaballoo (sp?) made her really happy she doesn’t drive a pickup.

50. Geetwillickers says:

Just noticed something while counting bullet-holes. It looks like there are a few shotgun shells lying in the street, meaning that at least one of the cops was using his scatter-gun, which would make identifying number of shots via counting holes a bit more unreliable.

Makes no difference whatsoever in the discussion of identifying your target before pulling the trigger, but it does somewhat mitigate the large number of holes and explain why the ladies only got hit twice.

(back to quiet lurking…)