TAH on Huff Post Live (Updated)

| February 12, 2013 | 33 Comments

I couldn’t sleep last night from anticipating this one. I’m going to be on a panel discussion this afternoon at 3PM on HuffPost Live. The subject is; What happens when America’s best-trained shooters go rogue? The segment description reads as follows: A former LAPD officer is on the loose after having carried out a killing spree. What are the potential dangers of giving someone the skills to shoot?

I love it! They call him a “former LAPD officer” but, you know the focus is going to be on his military training. I haven’t seen where anything he’s done thus far is related at all to military training. Who goes to live in the wild in a snow storm with all of that desert around? PPP.

But anyway, I’ll be schooling the hippies, so you should watch. I’ll post the link here when I get it.

UPDATE: Link for the show

The replay;

Category: Veterans Issues

1. crucible says:

Get some Jonn.

C-

Now, this should be fun.

3. TSO says:

Dude, he was so highly trained by the Navy that he stole a boat and got a rope stuck in teh propeller 10 feet from the pier. Dude is E fucking Lite!

4. ComancheDoc says:

definately got to remember to watch this

Jonn–be sure to remind them that just about anybody can qualify Expert on .45 and M-16 (getting the rifle/pistol medals) if the command wants to give up the resources/people/time for the range, ammo, etc.

And this guy could only manage marksman on the M-16. Hell, I did better than that.

6. MCPO NYC USN (Ret.) says:

Jonn,

What happens when America’s best-trained shooters go rogue?

Chris Dorner was NOT America’s best trained shooters.

I would rerach out to the PAO at RIVRON ONE and or NECC and they will tell you!

He was a marginal performer at best!

MCPO

7. Mr Wolf, non-Esq. says:

What happens when they go rogue?

They get interviews in Esquire…

Just keep in the forefront that his performance as a cop was marginal and his history in the Navy was marginal.

On the latest video, he was buying SCUBA tanks in a frog shop. Dude has a PLAN!!!

My thoughts exactly, NHSparky. Qualifying “Marksman” pretty much equates to “knows which end of the weapon to point at the target and can pull the trigger”. Not too much more skill than that is required.

I was no better than a fair shot with an M16, but I never failed to qualify – and I never qualified “Marksman”, either.

Qualifying with a pistol is similarly easy. Someone who’s only a fair shot can indeed qualify as “Expert”. I did, and I’m no better shot with a pistol than I am with an M16.

This guy was definitely not anywhere near being one of “America’s best-trained shooters”.

10. ConcernedCitizen says:

Get some, Jonn!

11. Claymore says:

Make sure to talk about “assault ammunition clips”…they love that shit.

12. TSO says:

@6 MCPO, you don’t have the contact info for PAO Rivron 1 do you?

13. TSO says:

It is unrelated to Dorner, but I need it for an embed.

14. JP76er says:

This will be good. Teach them.

15. Twist says:

Don’t forget to mention sling swivel grenade launcher and ammo that cooks deer.

16. ohio says:

And the assault handguns that can take down an airliner.

17. ChopIT says:

For about 90% of the Navy, handguns, rifles and shotguns are not in the forefront of our training. Familiarity depends on the command and the individual.

I’m not that great with weapons, but the first time (10 years ago) with a M-16 I qual’d at Sharpshooter…
    Last week, re-qual’d with M9 at Expert (while freezing and wearing the NWU gortex with liner and wearing gloves – not the most comfortable way to shoot). To me, it was all about the instructors and your mental state.

Dorner’s mental state is non-existant… just like the national media!

18. Isnala says:

Also don’t forget to mention the LAPD going “Rogue” on innocent people who happen to be driving pickup trucks…..OR the LAPD’s comments of: “of course he’s dangerous WE trained him” i.e. the LAPD made him a highly trained shooter not the military. However based on the recent incidents involving pickups and neighborhoods I wouldn’t put too much stock in the LAPD’s marksmanship training….

-Ish

19. TrapperFrank says:

Sounds like this guy was an affirmitive action baby from the get go. He couldn’t hack it flight school, was sent to the fleet. He couldn’t hack it there either and was a non-select for promotion to O-4. It is quite telling that on a year long deployment, he wasn’t awarded any decorations other that the warm body I was there variety. Couldn’t make it as a police officer either and was weeded out. From what I read between the lines, about his time with the LAPD, he was a problem child there.

Dorner’s Veteran status is irrelevant to his crimes. Additionally, no one has established any connection between his basic military training and his use of any of that training either to commit his crimes or to evade capture. No one needs military training to learn to shoot. And no service teaches cold-blooded execution as a tactic. If ANYONE raises the issue of Dorner’s Veteran status, I would hope Jonn throws it right back at them and makes them trace the connection between Dorner’s Navy service and his crime spree. If they bite, it’ll be laughable.

21. Detn8r says:

Marginal marksman, marginal Sailor, marginal cop, shitty thief, and sucks at recognizing terrain and weather differences,,,,,,definitely an “O” and far from “best trained”!
    Go for their throats John!!

22. KD8NOA says:

First, the “former LAPD officer” is not one of “America’s best-trained shooters.” HuffPo need to get over that.

“What are the potential dangers of giving someone the skills to shoot?” Perhaps it might be worth asking, what are the dangers of inadequate training?

In my experience, those of us who are professionally trained tend be safer and saner than those with little or no training. I have seen the damage that a bullets do and that makes me respectful of their power and cautious about using them. I think that there is more danger from ignorance than from training.

Please let us know when you post it. I will make popcorn.

Best definition yet. About all they did for us on the boat was weapons quals and annual shoots for Repel Boarders and Reaction Force type stuff. We practically had to beg to get a rifle shoot for medals on my first boat. Second boat wasn’t even close to being interested in anything above basic quals.

25. Interesting panel, but I only caught part of it.

Link above works for replay.

26. FatCircles0311 says:

HE WAS TRAINED TO KILL. DESENSITIZED! MARKSMANSHIP AWARDS!!

Holy shit that police psychologist, what a retard. Listing off shitty military schools that don’t teach how to make killers either when trying to hype up this military trained “killer” was so absurd. I would have left that clown show discussion after a couple of minutes because it was very clear most of those tards were just there to push the military killer meme regarding a guy in the US Navy who wasn’t a SEAL.

If that guy is a trained killer my training equates to war crimes and my status as a crime against humanity.

ARRRGGGGGGGHHHH…I watched the replay far too long.(Up to the Kyle tweets.) That former chief is a horse’s ass and the psychologist is a modern-day Janus. What a waste of time.

28. ComancheDoc says:

I didnt know Navy bootcamp made someone a killer, weird…

29. Jonn Lilyea says:

The NY cop was pretty decent – at least he agreed with me. The LA cop pissed me off when he said something about the military not having the same restraints as police. Obviously he hadn’t noticed the number of troops who faced legal problems for their actions on the battlefield of the last several years. I guess he never heard of ROE. The psychologist dude at least came around and admitted that it was probably his personality rather than training.

I could not get the link to work to see it, but that’s okay.

This is breaking news here:

The flaw in this is that it seems to be someone who LOOKS like Dorner, but there is no confirmation that it IS Dorner.

31. FatCircles0311 says:

@30: I had to disable adblock, ghostery, and enable cookies for the page to load.

I got a “script overload” notice, so I gave up. My computer is now 10 years old. That’s 200 in dog years, 350 in cat years, and 120 in people years.

33. Twist on staff duty says:

I don’t know who I want to throat punch more, the LA cop or the host.