Dorner in shootout with cops

| February 12, 2013 | 103 Comments

The LA Times is reporting that the police are telling them that they’re locked in a gun battle with Dorner at Big Bear Lake;

The six-day manhunt for accused killer Christopher Dorner took a dramatic turn Tuesday when the suspect got into a shootout with authorities, according to law enforcement sources.

Details were sketchy. But the sources said that Dorner burglarized a home in the Big Bear area, tied up a couple and stole their car.

During the gun battle, two police officers were wounded. Their conditions are unknown. A state fish and game official was shot at, sources said.

It was published a few minutes ago so…

An earlier article at LA Times said he’d burglarized and terrorized residents of Big Bear;

The shooting occurred after Dorner burglarized a home, tied up a couple and stole their car, the source said.

It was not immediately clear whether Dorner was in custody.

A second source said there was an active crime scene but did not have details.

Law enforcement officials were swarming the area.

Live video;

Category: Breaking News

1. Arby says:

Has anyone checked on the whereabouts of LL Cool J?

2. NR Pax says:

Hopefully he’s laying low until this is over with.

3. RM3(SS) says:

hope this cokesucker dies in a fire. extra crispy.

4. Redacted1775 says:

Great, that means everyone BUT Dorner’s gonna get shot…

5. Just an Old Dog says:

Hopefully he will be dead by nightfall.

6. FatCircles0311 says:

@1: It’s a photoshop but I still laughed: http://i.imgur.com/dBSSF1N.jpg

7. MCPO NYC USN (Ret.) says:

Jonn,

Great job on HP.

OK back to action.

I was trained as a LEO … body armor and cover drill … 2 to the chest and 1 to the head.

I wish all LEO’s on site the best of luck and I pray their training and muscle memory works at 100 % today!

Go direct to deadly force!

I feel great sympathy for any resident of the Big Bear Lake area. And I would be packing up to move if I were there.

9. PintoNag says:

How do we even know it’s Dorner they’re shooting at???

Waiting for more info…starting with seeing who staggers out of the bullet-riddled not-sure-what-color truck…

10. John11b says:

@ Redacted1775 and everyone else. I don’t care what you think of me but please be respectful. Two Deputies have been shot. This is not a game

11. Rob says:

@10, I know, right?

Tomorrow we’ll see a headline that says 4 hikers killed during police shootout.

12. John11b says:

I already know the responses are going to come about what the LAPD did to the papergirls–This is not them. Individual soldiers have raped and murdered innocent Iraqi civilians but that is not emblematic of all of the US military. Just as those LAPD officers are not emblematic of all LEOs. I am just saying this is not the time. There will be more bloodshed before this is over and I pray no other officers are hurt. It is just as disrespectful as when someone speaks about Chris Kyle and in the next breath someone talks about Robert Bales.
    P.S. The Riverside Officer who was murdered was a Marine Vet

13. PintoNag says:

@13 Whoa, John, whoa. Deep breath there, guy. Don’t let you’re feelings get ahead of your brain. Rape and murder is a crime, just like Dorner’s murder of the police officers. What the officers did to the two paper-deliverers is in a class by itself, and has to do with incompetence and fear. Two entirely different scenarios.

A lot of the folks who post on this site are cops, and we have family members who are cops. Nobody here wants to see police officers killed.

FAA ordering news helicopters out of the area.

Medevac helicopter taking out two injured officers.

15. Redacted1775 says:

Oh John don’t get me wrong, I hope Dorner gets taken deep, either by his own hand or theirs, but, damn, they are in serious need of threat assessment training, possibly a refresher on the force continuum for good measure.

16. John11b says:

Im not getting ahead of myself Im asking for respect. Like you said, two different things. The officers who have been wounded are my friends. Its quite disconcerting to hear all of the anti-Law enforcement comments by people on this board. If you want to discuss the actions of other officers that’s fine but I don’t think its the first thing that should come to mind when you hear that officers have been shot.

17. John11b says:

@ Redacted1775, please understand that I am not trying to disrespect you. I am anxiously listening to my radio and your comment hit me the wrong way. As far as I know, the particular department with wounded deputies who have Dorner surrounded have not shot any civilians or displayed any improper tactics

18. PintoNag says:

My apologies to you, John. Prayers out for you and your friends.

19. Redacted1775 says:

Oh none taken John, none at all. I apologize for my comment.

20. John11b says:

21. Arby says:

The local police force finally realized (duh) that they were not practicing comsec and pulled the feed to the Internet radio scanner feeds. In just the few minutes of listening, I gleaned the location of two heliports and 20 SWAT team members; that the police had a former owner of the cabin on the phone and were getting a floor p,an; and a whole bunch more stuff. These cowboys need to learn a bit of radio discipline…

22. Arby says:

Helicopters not heliports, although they named the airport too…

John11b: please accept our general regards for your friends and their families. But, you also need to understand that this community includes a bunch of combat vets and cops who are accustomed to generous amounts of gallows humor. Often that humor is far from pretty, but not intended to inflict pain on anyone.

That said, the LAPD chief was just on a presser where he said that his dept would assist the SO if and when they are asked to do so. My immediate thought was that San Bernadino should decline any help from LAPD which involved firearms.

24. PintoNag says:

@25 Well, that’s one group of idiots who shouldn’t bother to call the cops to report a crime. Morons.

25. Nexxius says:

Are ya’ll sure this just ain’t Yogi gone wild? Anyone seen Booboo? I’m sure it will come out soon that police saw a black bear entering a house and mistook it for Dorner.

26. Herbert J. Messkit says:

That’s a cabin?

Herbert–it’s the CA version of a cabin. Some of them up there are more to the traditional idea of a cabin, some of them are just weekend ski bunny mansions for the uber rich of LA.

Big Bear has all kinds.

28. MAJMike says:

Well,damn!! I thought for sure Dorner’s body would’ve been found quick frozen in a snow bank with a bullet to his head in a week or too. Guess there’s a reason I was never an S2.

29. John11b says:

RIP Deputy, he was a father and a good man

30. B Woodman says:

Yes, last I’m hearing (5PM UT) is that the LAPD are in a shootout with someone they suspect as Dorner. Wildlife service found him first, he got into a shootout with them, then he retreated to a cabin. Two officers wounded at last report.
    Some reporter on the scene was talking about being with in 200 feet (feet??!! really!!?? yipes!!) of the on-going shooting.

Not that I wish anyone harm, or worse, death. But I was wishing that Dorner would have stayed out of sight for another week or two, just to see the LAPD go thru more Keystone Kops komedy routines.

31. UpNorth says:

@33. Woodman, the agency involved is the San Bernadino County Sheriff’s Department, not the LAPD, and one of their deputies was killed, the other is in critical condition.

32. raul duke says:

RIP to the fallen SB deputy. hopefully LAPD is kept away and another SB deputy can get a good shot. aim between the belly button and the ball sac, then dump a mag. stay safe.

33. Hayabusa says:

One of the wounded deputies has died. RIP.

I really want to see this guy taken alive, but I doubt that will happen. I think he’s dead set on going out like Clyde Barrow, in a hail of bullets.

My sympathies to the family of the SB deputy.

35. kp32 says:

No sarcasm intended here; based on the demonstrated skill level, the deputy was probably a victim of FF.

In other, news, Shepard Smith just announced that Dorner was UDT trained by the Navy. These guys just seem to make shit up on the fly.

36. malclave says:

@28
    Are ya’ll sure this just ain’t Yogi gone wild? Anyone seen Booboo?
    2nd Amendment and the right to arm bears?

I hope this is Dorner, and the situation gets resolved.

37. Rob says:

It seems the cabin he has been hiding in is on fire. No word on what happened to him.

38. Rob says:

CNN reporting that the fire was caused by a device fired into the cabin during an assault.

Sheriff said that the second deputy is in surgery, expected to make a full recovery. Thank G-d for that.

To the young mother who is now a widow (the deputy is said to be a new father, apparently within the past few days): your grief is shared by many.

40. John11b says:

The dep (cpl) who was killed had a new baby and a step daughter.

41. C2/2000AF says:

Guess this guy still wanted more bloodshed to the end. Even when his cabin is now on fire. I didnt realize that LAPD Chief reopened investigation in regards to Dorners allegations to racism. At least he says its not to appease a murderer.

42. Mitch says:

Based on the fire, everyone is saying that it may be some time before they are able to determine if there was anyone in the cabin or identify any remains

43. C2/2000AF says:

#47 – Yep there wont be confirmation for hours on end I bet.

44. TSO says:

John11B, Just heartbreakingly sad.

45. USMCE8Ret says:

John11B – My thoughts and prayers are with those assigned with the San Bernardino County SO.

I heard the LEO that passed away was a game warden, and not a SBCSO deputy. Info is sketchy.

Now there are reports of tracks in the snow leading away from the cabin that burned. Whose would those be? When did it snow last in that area?

Hmmm. Hope that one turns out to be completely false.

47. Anonymous says:

TSO. That PAO you talked to today has ALL info on Dorner! Dorner deployed with subordinate of NECC.

48. Anonymous says:

Dorner was not UDT trained!

Dorner was a flunkie at every command he was stationed at!

49. MCPO NYC USN (Ret.) says: