20 years after the WTC bombing

| February 26, 2013

MCPO NYC USN (Ret.) reminds us that six people were killed when jihadists first attacked the World Trade Center 20 years ago today;

The news reader says that the attack was “unsuccessful” but if some folks died and the nation was terrorized, I’m thinking it was successful.

The victims, according to ABC News;

Four of the six killed — Robert Kirkpatrick, 61, Stephen A. Knapp, 47, William Macko, 57, and Monica Rodriguez Smith, 35 — were employees of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owned the buildings. John DiGiovanni, 45, a dental-supply salesman visiting the World Trade Center, and Wilfredo Mercado, 37, a purchasing agent for Windows on the World restaurant, also died.

A news report from the period;

Category: Terror War

Comments (8)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. MCPO NYC USN (Ret.) says:

    Thanks for posting this. The “Blind Sheikh” who is in the news recently had his hand in the plot. Apparently everyone from Egyptian President Morrissey and the country of Qatar (gutter) wants him released! Yeah … we will get on that release thing right away!

    Wiki Blind Sheikh:

    Sheikh Omar Abdel-Rahman (Arabic: ??? ??? ???????, ‘Umar ‘Abd ar-Ra?man; born 3 May 1938), commonly known in the United States as “The Blind Sheikh”, is a blind Egyptian Muslim leader who is currently serving a life sentence at the Butner Medical Center which is part of the Butner Federal Correctional Institution in Butner, North Carolina, United States. Formerly a resident of New York City, Abdel-Rahman and nine others were convicted of seditious conspiracy,[1] which requires only that a crime be planned, not that it necessarily be attempted. His prosecution grew out of investigations of the World Trade Center 1993 bombings.

    1993 WTC Terrorist Attack Wiki:

    The World Trade Center bombing occurred on February 26, 1993, when a truck bomb was detonated below the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York, NY. The 1,336 lb (606 kg) urea nitrate–hydrogen gas enhanced device[1] was intended to knock the North Tower (Tower One) into the South Tower (Tower Two), bringing both towers down and killing thousands of people.[2][3] It failed to do so, but did kill six people and injured more than a thousand.[4] The attack was planned by a group of conspirators including Ramzi Yousef, Mahmud Abouhalima, Mohammad Salameh, Nidal A. Ayyad, Abdul Rahman Yasin and Ahmad Ajaj. They received financing from Khaled Sheikh Mohammed, Yousef’s uncle. In March 1994, four men were convicted of carrying out the bombing: Abouhalima, Ajaj, Ayyad and Salameh. The charges included conspiracy, explosive destruction of property and interstate transportation of explosives. In November 1997, two more were convicted: Ramzi Yousef, the mastermind behind the bombings, and Eyad Ismoil, who drove the truck carrying the bomb.

    On Friday, February 26, 1993, Ramzi Yousef and a Jordanian friend, Eyad Ismoil, drove a yellow Ryder van into Lower Manhattan, and pulled into the public parking garage beneath the World Trade Center around noon. They parked on the underground B-2 level. Yousef ignited the 20-foot fuse, and fled. Twelve minutes later, at 12:17:37 pm, the bomb exploded in the underground garage, generating an estimated pressure of 150,000 psi.[9] The bomb opened a 30-m (98 ft) wide hole through four sublevels of concrete. The detonation velocity of this bomb was about 15,000 ft/s (4.5 km/s). Initial news reports indicated a main transformer may have blown, not realizing a bomb had exploded in the basement.

    The bomb instantly cut off the World Trade Center’s main electrical power line, knocking out the emergency lighting system. The bomb caused smoke to rise up to the 93rd floor of both towers, including through the stairwells which were not pressurized.[10] With thick smoke filling the stairwells, evacuation was difficult for building occupants and led to many smoke inhalation injuries. Hundreds were trapped in elevators in the towers when the power was cut, including a group of 17 kindergartners, on their way down from the South Tower observation deck, who were trapped between the 35th and 36th floors for five hours.[11][12]

    Also as a result of the loss of power most of New York City’s radio and television stations lost their over-the-air broadcast signal for almost a week, with television stations only being able to broadcast via cable and satellite via a microwave hookup between the stations and three of the New York area’s largest cable companies, Cablevision, Comcast, and Time Warner Cable. Telephone service for much of Lower Manhattan was also disrupted.

    All together, six people were killed and 1,042 others injured, most during the evacuation that followed the blast.[13] A report from the US Fire Administration states that “Among the scores of people who fled to the roofs of the towers, 28 with medical problems were airlifted by New York City police helicopters (…)”. It is known that 15 people received traumatic injury from the blast and 20 complained of cardiac problems. One firefighter was hospitalized, while 87 others, 35 police officers, and an EMS worker were also injured in dealing with the fires and other aftermath.[14]

    The plan was that if the bomb truck was parked at the right place, the North Tower would fall onto the South Tower, collapsing them both. However, the tower did not collapse, according to Yousef’s plan, but the garage was severely damaged in the explosion. Nevertheless, had the van been parked closer to the WTC’s poured concrete foundations, Yousef’s plan might have succeeded.[15] He escaped to Pakistan several hours after the bombing.

    Due to the time at which Yousef left Jersey City, questions linger as to why he waited until noon to attack when the parking area was much less crowded.[citation needed] Conspirator Mahmud Abouhalima later stated that the original plan was to attack the United Nations headquarters earlier in the morning.[citation needed] Author Simon Reeve theorized that something went wrong, such as Yousef encountering too much security, and the target was changed to be the World Trade Center.[13]

  2. Ex-PH2 says:

    Yes, Adbel-Rahman is warning that the US will suffer more attacks and more Americans will be killed.

    Ted Koppel, when he was reporting on this first attack, went into the parking garage and stood near the hole formed by the blast. The scale of that explosion was enormous.

    From a news article this morning: Emad Salem is urging the U.S. to keep the ailing 74-year-old sheik Omar Abdel Rahman, often known as the Blind Sheik, behind bars and to not transfer him, even as governments overseas continue to press for his release.

    “He will kill Americans,” said Salem. “He will kill anyone who disputes what he says with a fatwa.”
    Salem was also able to link the sheik to the 1993 World Trade Center bombers. Six people were killed and more than 1,000 injured in that first attack. Now Salem is concerned about the mounting pressure on the U.S. from Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi and other Mideastern government leaders to get Rahman out of American custody

    Link to the article: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/26/17098139-fbi-informant-warns-so-called-blind-sheik-will-kill-americans?lite&gt1=43001

    Abdel-Rahman makes a reference to the Benghazi attack on Sept. 11, 2012, also.

  3. B Woodman says:

    At a medical center, eh? Then how’s about we give this nice man a great big air embolism with his next injection?

  4. Common Sense says:

    Not successful? Clearly that reporter is not from NYC.

    I was there in 1998, the company I worked for was headquartered in Building 2 of the World Trade Center. Even 5 years later, people were quite jumpy about it. There were still many false bomb threats throughout the city and everyone talked about it – our co-workers, the waitress in the Marriott Hotel, etc.

    We had a meeting uptown and right before we got there, they had a threat called in. We arrived as the police and the dogs were leaving. The folks in charge of the meeting left it up to us whether to stay or not. I was fine with it, but my co-worker was wreck, he should have just left.

    Fortunately, on 9/11, everyone in the company got out safely. Most people hadn’t arrived yet and the few that were there remembered the bombing, disregarded the instructions, and evacuated immediately.

  5. FatCircles0311 says:


    Libtards always Libtarding. Parking garages just always explode randomly!

  6. Gumshoe says:

    It is strange to see the press hesitate to call it a bombing, let alone terrorism.

    What a much simpler time.

  7. 11bravo says:

    Rick Rescorla warned of a second attack..God rest his soul.


  8. Ex-PH2 says:

    Not a bombing, eh? Well, what was it? Was it Bigfoot?