Note to Bite Me; Man fires shotgun to scare off burglars, arrested

| February 27, 2013 | 24 Comments

Someone send this article to Joe Biden, or Jill Biden. 22-year-old Trevor Lamont Snowden told police that when he went in his bedroom the other night, he encountered two burglars entering his window. they told to get out of the bedroom and to close the door;

Thinking the suspects were going to rob him, he moved into the hallway and retrieved a shotgun.

Moyers said Snowden fired through his bedroom door, then opened the door and fired several more rounds toward the window. Any suspects fled the area and could not be located by officers.

Snowden was then charged with “reckless handling of a firearm” and released. So, I guess the police in Virginia Beach aren’t enamored with the Vice President’s advice that we should all go out on our balconies and fire indiscriminately into the air to scare off any lurking burglars.

Thanks to SwoMyGosh for the link.

Category: Barack Obama/Joe Biden, Guns

1. Old Tanker says:

Huh, who’d a thunk it….

2. Gruntling says:

Anyone surprised by this, please raise your hand.

*cricket noises*

Yeah, didn’t think so.

3. Kmie67 says:

Makes me think of the country song “Bubba Shot the Jukebox”…

“Reckless discharge of a gun, that’s what the officer’s a claimin’….Bubba hollered out “RECKLESS HELL!, I hit just where I was aimin'”

Seems to me that since Trevor was inside his home and the burglars left, that Trevor hit where he was “aimin'” too.

Maybe the shotgun was other than a 12 ga?

5. A Proud Infidel says:

HUH? WHAT? JOE BIDEN WAS WRONG?
    /sarc

6. PintoNag says:

That’s the second “shooting through the door” incident I’ve heard about recently; the other was the Bladerunner murder. What is it with idiots shooting through doors? I don’t remember that being part of any scenario of gun handling that I was ever taught.

7. Old 21B says:

Get a good lawyer and claim that he was just following the Vice Presidents direct orders.

But…but…the Vice President of the USA said it was okay to do that. How could poor Trevor possibly have done anything wrong?

I’m so confused. (Not.)

9. David says:

that first round through the door is probably what prompted the charges. The overall phrasing sounds like after he put one through the door, the perps unassed the room in a hell of a hurry and subsequent rounds were directed where they weren’t. Gotta watch your ammo budgeting, fella…. don’t shoot more than you need to – they could come back.

10. Flagwaver says:

I think Biden says this stuff when the President doesn’t assign someone to shove their hand up his butt and run his mouth in a more thoughtful way.

11. FatCircles0311 says:

This guy has a pretty rock solid defense if he were to use Biden’s own words. Surely the vice President of the United States of American wouldn’t advocate firearms negligence to millions of citizens. Surely.

12. martinjmpr says:

I hereby move that from this point on, the act of firing a shotgun out the window to scare off a criminal should be called “Pulling a Biden.”

All in favor? :D

13. Jonn Lilyea says:

I think that “pulling a Biden” means saying anything to hear your own voice irrespective of how dumb it sounds.

14. LanceCooley says:

@12 I second that motion, although Mr. Lilyea has a point.

15. Just an Old Dog says:

I’m betting the officers on the scene thought the entire thing was a bullshit cover up for someone being an idiot with a shotgun.

16. Tango9 says:

Heh. Welcome to Montana. We used to go out on Saturday nights, light a giant bonfire, circle the pickups next to the river, tap the keg and throw dynamite into the woods just for fun.

Whiskey + guns = yeeeegoddamhaw.

‘merica.

17. Tango9 says:

^^^^ not a troll post. We did that shit. Still do, as a matter of fact.

18. A Proud Infidel says:

Sounds like a waste, albeit a fun one, of perfectly good dynamite. (Redneck Fireworks, maybe)? One could *COUGH* “accidentally” go fishing with it, too, ever heard of an “Alabama DuPont lure”?

19. Gravel says:

Created a petition at Whitehouse.gov:

Petition: Stop Vice President Biden’s Terrible Advice On Handling Firearms.

Vice President Biden’s recent advice to fire two blasts from a shotgun into the air, and, even more recently in Field and Stream Magazine, to fire a shotgun through a door, is absolutely atrocious advice.

Not only are both sets of advice border-line (if not outright) illegal in most places, but they both ignore the safety of innocent bystanders.

Furthermore, it violate the “rules” of safe gun handling; specifically, properly identifying your target, as well as what’s downrange when you fire a weapon.

The Vice President’s advice is ludicrous at best, illegal at worst, and just goes to show how little he actually knows about firearms safety.

Every legal firearm owner in this country should be appalled at his words. Please tell the VP to stop.

You can retract words; not bullets.

————-

or

#16 – Sounds like fun, but why waste a good bonfire? Bring the food, roast some polish sausages, fish on a stick, throw a hog on a spit and crank it, have some serious outdoor fun PLUS the dynamite.

Personally, I’d cook up homemade fireworks by soaking pine cones in chemical solutions like cobalt and copper and magnesium and throw those on the fire. What burns lavender? High school chemistry – copper was green, magnesium was bright white. Was it aluminum? Did I tell you guys about the time I set off a rocket in chemistry class? Total accident. ;)

Also, I took a snake I found on the sidewalk to bio class in my purse. Mr. Johnson was terrified of snakes, which I did not know until I pulled that black racer out of my purse and said “I found this on the sidewalk this morning”. Good times.

Here’s a response to Biden’s gun control antics:

And then there is this one:

Yes, I know they’re older entries, but they needed to be here. They asked me to put them here. :)

22. Hack.Stone says:

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away, unless it is a weekend or holiday, then you are shit out of luck.

23. PintoNag says:

@22 Looked at your link, and honest to God, I’ve begun to wonder if there isn’t something in the water. This woman’s having a conversation with a dispatcher about budget cuts while a man who put her in the hospital once is breaking in a second time? Okay, so she’s not wild about guns or karate or whatever. Whatever happened to climbing out a window, screaming at the top of your lungs, grabbing a lamp and getting ready to break it over the intruder’s head? How can someone calmly wait to be assaulted/murdered?!

This is why I have heavy duty kitchen tools, and there’s always a skillet on the top of the stove. My kitchen meat hammer is the same as a medieval mace. My skillet is cast iron. Either of those will give an intruder a headache.