Let’s take a brief look at how sequestration is being implemented:
- Sequestration cuts to Executive Office of the President Budget: $24,000,000 ($24 million)
- Number of civilian employees: approx 2,000
- Average cut per employee: $12,000
- Announced impact so far: cancellation of White House tours (will save approx $2,000,000 in overtime)
According to this article, the estimated travel cost for the recent POTUS trip to play golf with Tiger Woods would have covered the costs of White House tours for the rest of the year. But that’s OK – playing golf with a famous celebrity like Woods is obviously more important than letting the public see the taxpayer-owned White House where the POTUS lives rent-free.
- Sequestration cuts to Department of Defense Budget: $46,000,000,000 ($46 billion)
- Number of civilian employees: approx 800,000
- Average cut per employee: $57,500 (Military personnel were exempted from sequestration pay cuts by the POTUS.)
- Announced impact: up to 22 unpaid workdays off between now and 30 Sep for most DoD civilian employees
Yeah, that seems fair. It certainly looks like everyone’s doing their part, doesn’t it?