US consulate in Herat attacked

| September 13, 2013 | 10 Comments

The US consulate in Herat was attacked in the early morning hours by Taliban soldiers and at least three people have been killed and more than 20 people have been wounded. According to Reuters;

The bold attack in Herat, claimed by the Taliban, once again underscored a worrying security picture as Afghanistan prepares to take over from foreign combat troops after 12 years of war and stage crucial presidential elections next year.

While the circumstances of the attack were initially unclear, a spokesman for the U.S. embassy in the Afghan capital of Kabul said all U.S. personnel in the consulate in Herat were safe and had been accounted for.

From CNN;

The attack occurred just before 6 a.m. local time when attackers sped towards the front gate of the consulate, said Marie Harf, a deputy State Department spokeswoman.

The attackers fired assault rifles starting a gun battle with Afghan security forces. During the battle, a truck exploded, Harf said, causing major damage to the front gate of the consulate.

American consulate personnel took shelter in safe havens while U.S. security forces responded to the attack, Harf said. There were no U.S. casualties.

Seven attackers traveling in two vehicles took part in the assault and all of them were killed, said Mohammad Ayoub Salangi, deputy Afghan Interior Minister.

Category: Terror War

Loading Facebook Comments ...

Comments (10)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. NRPax says:

    While I am glad that our people weren’t hurt, I think this is the beginning of even more brazen attacks.

  2. USMCE8Ret says:

    And so it begins.

  3. Ex-PH2 says:

    When are we leaving?

    Oh, I thought it was in a few months. My mistake. No one told me it was NEVER….

  4. SJ says:

    Was there another moooooslim video that caused this? /s

  5. Madconductor says:

    Lurch wil be holding a press conference on this in 3..2..1……..

    Oh, wait…….

  6. Lucky says:

    I was on the Civil Affairs Team that turned the Herat PRT over to the Italians in 2005… I apologize for that, since the Italians did jack and shut for the locals, and turned the most peaceful province in Afghanistan into a free fire zone. Sorry guys!

  7. David says:

    It’s all the assault rifles’ fault. Damn things just keep attacking.

  8. DaveO says:

    Nothing happens to Americans in Herat without Ismail Khan’s knowledge and approval.

  9. Lucky says:

    DaveO, you are absolutely correct on that score

  10. TMB says:

    Herat has been pretty quiet over the last couple years. The Italians and Spanish are still there as far as I know doing jack except tanning and watching the Taliban seal them inside their own bases with IEDs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *