Frank Dux; phony hero

| March 20, 2017 | 99 Comments

The folks at Military Phonies send us their very hard work on Frank Dux, the fellow whose fake biography was the basis for the Jean-Claude Van Damme movie “Bloodsport”. Dux was exposed in the book “Stolen Valor (turn to page 415) but he seems to be making a resurgence in popularity.

Dux has claimed a whole bunch of wild-ass stories about his time in the Marine Corps, including service in Vietnam and Beirut;

He did serve in the Marine Corps Reserves, but he served 130 days on active duty and between the actual dates of Vietnam and Beirut operations;

There’s much, much more at Military Phonies and I don’t want to steal their work, so you should click over and read it there.

1. O-4E says:

Word has it he’s the world’s third monst dangerous man right before Stephen Franklin Cio Burrell

2. Hack Stone says:

Next thing you know, it will turn out that Frank Stallone did not resecue the President’s daughter from Middle Eastern terrorists at the “Old Bean Factory”.

3. Open Channel D says:

I don’t normally deal in cliches, but if it “looks like a Dux…”

I believe he actually did invent the Judy-chop. Or he perfected it, I forget which.

4. 2banana says:

Everyone wants to be a gangster…

Until it’s time to ruck up and get deployed to a combat zone…

5. Andy11M says:

Wow, he was a Terminal Lance

6. A Proud Infidel®™ says:

*munching on popcorn awaiting to see what falls next*

7. Chip says:

If he had a TS clearance would he not have a letter assigned to the end of his MOS like in the Army? Does the Marines do it differently? I had a J-4 level clearance. It is written beside my MOS on my DD-214.

• Hack Stone says:

No, the Marine Corps does not add a suffix to an MOS to indicate clearance level. In order to determine a clearance level, you would have to sit on a barstool within earshot of the Marine, and he will inevitably tell anyone and everyone all of the information that he has access to. At least that was my experience.

8. Hack Stone says:

Next up, we will learn that Frank Stallone did not rescue the President’s daughter from Middle Eastern terrorists hiding out at the “Old Bean Factory”.

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

Next we might hear that he DIDN’T rescue those little girls from pirates and that he didn’t even rescue a puppy dawg from getting run over either!

9. HMCS(FMF) ret says:

Frank Dux… seekrit skwirrl ballsack warrior! Has sekrit recipe for Cream of Sum Yung Guy soup from his mission into Laos! Stephen Franklin Cio Burrell and him know the art of Cock Block Fu (taught to them by Sensei Lon Duc Dong), taught at their online dojo!

FRANK DUX – SOOPER SEKRIT SKWIRRL COCKSUCKING ASS HAMSTER!

10. Combat Historian says:

This guy was so tough that the day he reported to recruit training at MCRD San Diego on 16 Jun 75 he was immediately sent on a secret mission to search for MIAs in Cambodia. Hats off to you, Duxman, you’re one hell of a Warrior…///

• Mick says:

It’s a good thing that he was provided with the ‘deep cover’ of being a wireman in a Marine Corps Reserve artillery battalion in 4th MARDIV in order to effectively mask his true high-speed ‘classified’ activities.

• Combat Historian says:

Don’t forget the TS-SCI Medal of Honor he was secretly awarded with for his ultra-deep penetration mission into Laos and as the only survivor of “Operation SANCTION”. I mean, we’re talking true epic, hero stuff here…///

• Hack Stone says:

He “won” that Medal Of Honor for remembering to bring along a pair of wire cutters when the Comm Chief gave him an RL-31 of slash wire and told him to install a TA-312.

11. radar says:

Wonder if he’s a master of combat shovel techniques…

12. Mick says:

ex-OS2:

We have an embellishing Marine in the open. Target is marked by poser bling, a doo-rag, and an enormous, ever-expanding pile of poser bullshit.

Bring it in danger close. Expend all on your first pass.

Cleared hot.

13. A Proud Infidel®™ says:

I’m reminded of THIS:

14. Guard Bum says:

I think the Filipino pirate story deserves special mention as an “above and beyond” embellishment and the “Secret MOH” was also a nice touch.

Nice to see Valor Thieves upping their game after several lack luster efforts.

15. Graybeard says:

Frank Dux sux.

16. AverageNCO says:

Oh this guy is a classic fraud from the archives. As I remember correctly from BG Burkett’s book, a reporter looked on the bottom of the trophy Dux allegedly won at the Bloodsport tournament in Hong Kong, and found a sticker showing the trophy was made in Hollywood.

17. Mick says:

I just went over to the Military Phonies website and looked at all of the info that they have on this guy.

After reading through all of the B.S. that he’s been producing over the years, my brain ripped itself in half.

My cat makes this guy look like a pussy.

19. Hack Stone says:

The only wiredog to (allegedly) “win” a Medal Of Honor. It must have been the essay portion of the contest where he clinched it.

• HMC Ret says:

Hack: A pet peeve of mine not restricted to non-military people, but the MSM also, even the media in a military town. I live in a town with a very large military presence and the local fish wrapper frequently states someone ‘won’ the Medal of Honor or Navy Cross, etc. I always enlighten them, stressing that no lottery was held, there was no poker game which resulted in someone ‘winning’ the Medal of Honor or other award for bravery, but that the Medal of Honor and other awards for heroism are earned. All is well until the next time they reference someone ‘winning’ the Medal of Honor. I know they realize the difference. This is probably the result of sloppy work on their part. I hope, anyway.

Anyhoo, I think in this instance he probably ‘won’ the MoH by either a lottery or perhaps high card. I don’t think he’s smart enough to write an essay.

IMHO

• Hack Stone says:

Maybe he got it during the swimsuit competition.

As to (see what I did there?) “winning” a Medal Of Honor, I remember Life Magazine (remember Life Magazine?) doing an article on MOH’s recipients. Someone in that article made the same comment, to include the lottery reference. Since then, I have made a point of correcting anyone saying win/won.

Now, as far as a Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, that is “won”, at least it was in 1st Maintenance Battalion. There was a female Marine Sergeant in my company that racked up five, count ’em five, NAMs in two years. It must have been due to the superior leadership skills that she demonstrated to the XO behind that closed door.

• Ex-PH2 says:

I think you misspelled that word, Hack. Isn’t it ‘weirdo’?

20. CB Senior says:

So all that time(sarc)in the Marines. All he learned was bring two knives to a gun fight?

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

I heard it was razor close between him and another competitor going into the finals. As luck would have it (fate always intervenes) his opponent had a football game that night. Yeah, being the captain of the cheer leading squad, she couldn’t make both the game and the MOH finals.

21. MSG Eric says:

I hadn’t realized before now that there was so much hulla-baloo about this guy. When I was a kid I was wowed by that movie too.

After reading their info on him, holy crap that’s a lot of back n’ forth.

I’ll have to remember that one important thing though. If someone ever remembers me saying something wrong or incorrect, or I look like a dumbass, well it wasn’t me. It was a double I use so I can be doing other stuff at the same time.

22. CB Senior says:

That fucking hat. John, how could you pass up on using that photo? It is priceless. He looks like a cross between Gandolf and Giant Christmas Elf.

23. Silentium Est Aureum says:

Dear Frank:

Chong Li laughs at your misfortune.

24. D says:

What I want to know is this: who has a special speedometer for kicks during a tournament? Did that technology even exist then? I mean, this guy claimed a 72mph kick.

25. Dave Hardin says:

How do I know if I have ever been “Sheep Dipped”?

• David says:

dunno, but I think I been rat-fucked a coupla times.

My personal favorite was the photo of him with the crossbow… unless I am mistaken, that was a Wham-O toy model, available over the counter at most sporting goods stores – have mine from when I was a kid stored somewhere in my garage, I think.

• just some feller says:

How do I know if I have ever been “Sheep Dipped”?

It’s easy-peasy me bonnie lad!

I was inadvertently sheep-dipped when I worked in Scotland. It’s easy — you grab the ram or ewe by the flank and horn, get him/her in the trough, then walk it through to the end where some de-wormer is squirted into the mouth (its mouth, not yours … at least non purpose). In the ensuing time, you get generously covered in sheep-dip solution.

Ach, Janie! Nivver say I dinnae luv ewe.

26. Carlton G. Long says:

So Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds didn’t really get his skull caved in by Chong Li, after getting brutally owned by Dux in the “karate” video game?

He made a nearly fatal mistake once. He was on patrol–alone–in the jungle and stepped on a punji stick. He didn’t make a sound, smelling that the enemy was close by. He did wince, which showed his pearly whites. A VC saw the glimmer and squeezed off a round. Luckily, Francis anticipated this and caught the round in his teeth. That’s why, to this day, he never smiles. He learned that a smile can be fatal.

28. Keepin' It Real says:

I was sheep dipped but I can’t talk about it. If we were on Facebook I’m allowed to tell you.

Or if we were at the Hog’s Balls Salon.

Yeah, I said that correctly – it’s where we get our hair done.

“Sorry, Frank, but it’s no dice. You’ve committed the worst error a self-aggrandizing BS artist can make: You’re boring.” – from a review of his ‘bio’ on Amazon.

Oh, the horror!!!! The devastation!!!

I noticed that it’s one of those books you’re not allowed to preview to decide if you want to buy it. And it isn’t on Kindle, so….

BORING!!! It is a sign, you know. If you’re going to make shit up, make sure your shit is NOT BORING!!!!

Next!!!

30. Commissioner Wretched says:

To quote Slim Pickens, “What in the name of the Wide World of Sports” is a ‘secret’ Medal of Honor? You either earned it or you didn’t, and if you did, everybody who cares knows about it.

31. FatCircles0311 says:

“for example, knowing something as simple as how to execute a flat fall properly allowed me to avoid a bullet through my chest…”

hahahahahahahaha

“From 1975 to 1980 Frank W. Dux fought 329 matches.”

That is amazing considering he was creating a fake background in the military while also super secret combat operations for the CIA. Did he never sleep?

32. Carlton G. Long says:

The one part of the movie that was probably true was the big guy in the alley saying, “OK, USA!”

33. USMCMSgt (Ret) says:

What a “Dux-bag”.

34. sbalm says:

Two words – Dim Mak

You mean it’s all not true? My whole world just crumbled.

35. Perry Gaskill says:

Where Dux got his moves…

[vimeo 77493750 w=640 h=437]
    Samurai Delicatessen from KitanoX42 on Vimeo.

36. HMC Ret says:

The dishonor is great with this one. Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, DSC, Silver Star? Go big or stay home, I guess.

Well, Duxlips, welcome to your star on the Google Walk of Shame, where your exploits will remain until the end of time. People will know of your dishonor forever.

Medal of Honor, Navy Cross, Silver Star, DSC? Have you no pride? Apparently not. I would like to see the awards as well as your 214 proving you have earned these. We’ll wait while you gather them and forward them to Jonn.

37. rgr769 says:

Just another fucking wiredog claiming secret squirrel missions. Wiredogs definitely need some type of equivalent to the CIB, EIB or the CAB, so they don’t have to resort to this shit. I’m thinking the award could be a telephone or radio handset with a wreath around it.
    This lame bastard never got farther away from the flagpole than HQ battery. His primary weapon was probably the arty battalion field switchboard and headset.

38. PTBH says:

You can make a case that Frank Dux is certainly the grand master of POSers.

Can you imagine how much of this went on pre-internet? With the movie, Frank was more visible so people looked into it but can you imagine all the people that stayed under the radar?

Probably happened a lot after the Civil War as well. No way to prove otherwise.

Makes you glad you live in the age of the internet, so thank you Al Gore!

39. Silentium Est Aureum says:

And the fucker didn’t even have the balls to claim a NDSM.

40. A Proud Infidel®™ says:

Has Dux EVER had a picture taken of him where he wasn’t posing like some Sooperdooperwonderwompus killer uber-Rambo about to assassinate a commie horde all by himself?

41. MrBill says:

Drank Fux. That is all.

42. DevilChief says:

Terminal Lance….haha how fitting.

43. The Old Maj says:

I have ten Secret Medals of Honor. I am a charter member of SMoH Society. Meetings are a bitch because we are not allowed to talk about anything. I can’t tell anyone about any of this cuz it’s a secret. Ah crap….

• Daisy Cutter says:

I’ll see your ten Secret Medals of Honor and raise you one Navy Cross, a Distinguished Service Medal and a Purple Heart.

All from being the sole survivor of “Operation Sanction”, which I should inform you that I am unaware of any such activity or operation… nor would I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in fact exist, Sir.

44. Jabatam says:

Chuck and Mary had him up on the old POW Network years ago. Yes, my childhood was ruined back in 2010.

45. Brenden says:

This actually bums me out a little bit. I met the guy at a show once, he was down to earth and friendly. I guess part of me just wanted to believe that the Kumite stuff was semi-real. I feel like when my mom told me that she was really the Tooth Fairy now.