Weekend open thread

| June 16, 2017 | 144 Comments

June 16, 2017

Across the Bridge

Your Shot photographer T. Sweetman used a drone to photograph this bridge in Chiang Mai, Thailand. In this moment, he captured the sight of two elderly people riding scooters over the Ping River.

F5 F5 F5 F5

Category: Open thread

1. Commissioner Wretched says:

FIRST!!!!

2. Toasty Coastie says:

Second!

3. Silentium Est Aureum says:

Thoid!

4. RGR 4-78 says:

It’s just not the same without 2/17 Air Cav calling the game.

5. Roh-Dog says:

Some of us work

The False Commander “Phony” Phil Monkress (CEO of All-Points Logistics) gargles taxpayer balls while ducking calls to explain his false Native American, Navy SEAL and Law Enforcement claims.

7. Sapper3307 says:

TOP fisrtsez!

8. ChipNASA says:

Here.
    Working and not paying attention to the time.

Maybe this is the problem.

9. Skippy says:

SOB after waiting to sneak n here to be number 1
    I fail again

BHWHAHAHAHAHA ! ! ! !

10. Combat Historian says:

I’m going on vacation (I really need one, believe me…). Keep up the fire on the posers and the DRG. Catch y’all later. I’m out…

11. Fjardeson says:

Darnit, got involved with a silly spreadsheet and blew it. Pesky work stuff.

12. HMCS(FMF) ret says:

PROVISIONAL PROXY FIRST!!!!!

13. CPT11A says:

So my wife is having kid #2 via C-section on Monday. Her brother and his wife are supposed to come up here to watch kid #1 while we are in the hospital. Unfortunately, their car got hit by lightning the other night, and their other car got beat up by hail. So my wife is panicked because it seems they might not have a functional car to travel here, and she’s not sure because they refuse to call her, but they have plenty of time to talk to the local news channel and post stories of their ordeal all over FaceBook.

I generally believe in keeping a stiff upper lip and all, but I just want you all to know that this is what happens when you rely on goddamned socialists.

14. Silentium Est Aureum says:

And since it hasn’t been asked for a while yet, I’ll throw it out there:

Why the fuck does Bernath breathe free air, and how long until he gets his three daily doses of cock meat sandwiches?

Ditto the fattest Chippendale dancer since Chris Farley!

• Fjardeson says:

Kicked the can to August. Guess that Julio and friends think he’s too ugly to screw and bribed the judge.

• Skyjumper says:

SEA, you got to ask yourself what Bubba in prison would holster his manhood into this guys face?

Aaaaargh!

• Just An Old Dog says:

Berdturd has been found guilty, no changing that. His only hope is to get his sentence reduced.
      He and LoNgDoNGsLurPeR41 are both due in Criminal Court in Kansas City, Mo as well shortly.
      They have already kicked the can down the road on that one too by waiting for the day of trail(believe it was a few weeks ago) before they decided to hire a Lawyer.
      He also lied to a judge about having some court papers properly served, so there’s at least one of his bullshit cases that will more than likely be tossed because of that.
      Chippenshit really pissed off the wrong people when he pulled that trash with Whippenfloggit. They both got RO’s slapped on them and Chippenshit copped an assault charge.

15. Frankie Cee says:

With 24 days in jail on this current arrest, “Ol’ Stretched”, Kyle Barwan has been jail 104 days so far this year. That means that he has been “free” for just 32 days this year. That illustrates that he finds living with Bubba and the boys as his preferred way of life. His stupidity ranks right up there with the two dopes that killed the bus guards in Georgia this week. Does he, like those dopes, actually think that he will get away with his shit? He will get out one day, and then he will get back to scamming the public, and perhaps the next time it will end at the hand of a “Good guy with a gun”, as he messes with the wrong people.
    What a piss poor way to live.

• HMCS(FMF) ret says:

I’m sure he’s ready for the upcoming season in the Prison Football League… as a “wide reciever”!

• Wilted Willy says:

Hi Frankie, I’m so happy that this scumbag is in jail where he belongs! I ask a favor of all of you! Please help me get my pos brother put in the same place! You can read Jonn’s great story on this asshole if you search David “Doc” Shrum. Please write your congressman, the VA, the VAIG and anyone else you can think of? This asshole has been scamming the VA out of $3K a month for years for his phony PTSD 100% disability claim! I please pray and ask all of you for your help in getting this asshamster put in prison. I have even called and written to the FBI, all to no avail! They won’t even tell me if they have an active investigation going on him?? I hope that this great forum can help in getting this mother fucker locked up with Bubba and the rest of the gang! This fucker didn’t even go to his own mother’s funeral! And he lives in the same town! He is also a felon in possession of a fire arm, as he has my grandfather’s lever action 30/30! I beg all of you to help in any way that you can!!
      Thank you and God bless all of you!!!
      Especially Jonn!!!
      Bill

• Skippy says:

To bad Kyle Barwan does not understand that a attack on one of us, is a attack on all of us
      But Kyle Barwan is a true DIP-SHIT

16. Skyjumper says:

“Unfortunately, their car got hit by lightning the other night, and their other car got beat up by hail.”

Judas Priest!! What in the world did they do to piss off the Gods?

17. Skippy says:

So starting Saturday for three week I’m taking a little R&R down in Sierra Vista, Arizona
    Or baby sitting a house my experiment with cooking eggs on my sidewalk next week probably will not happen but on a bright side the Temp here in Tucson is expected to hit 118 on Tuesday
    Yesterday it was 112 at casa skippy so far as I’m writing it’s 105 and it’s only 1030
    Not bad

• Graybeard says:

What’s the humidity?
      We’re down to 60%, getting dry here.

• Skippy says:

It’s 16 percent currently 103 is the temperature with a Dew point of 46 degrees

• Graybeard says:

Do they give yall a “feels like” number? With 92 degrees and 47% humidity we get a heat-index of 97-99 degrees.

I made the mistake of taking my old dog with me on my 4-mile hike through the woods the other day and darn near killed him. Found a stream where he could lie down to cool off and get a drink too. It cut into my elapsed time pretty badly, but I didn’t kill my dog.
          Gonna have to leave him at home for the longer hikes. Take him on the 1-miles only.

• Skippy says:

I’ll send Jonn a link to my weather station it’s on a network thats world-wide
            It also grades each station on reliability, this past December I installed one at my in laws place in Virginia it’s neeto to get something realtime
            BTW our temp now is 109 with a feel like of 109, 11 percent humidity
            And 5 Mph wind from the north

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

I remember a few years back a local TV station posted a “feels like” graphic for a rather hot day.

Flames and a Pitchfork

On the other end of the thermometer, Jack Bogut of KDKA radio in Pittsburgh used to advise a “Brass Monkey Alert” on particularly cold days.

• Eggs says:

You should swing by Green Feet Brewing and have a Cucumber Cream Ale, they go down easy in the Tucson heat.

• SFC D says:

98 at noon, Skip. C’mon down!

• Skippy says:

I’ll be there tomorrow me and both of my daughters wife has to work so she’ll be back and fourth I think I sent you the address if not I’ll send it to you
        I also have to go on post and talk to a few old friends and see how the employment
        Situation is going

18. Mick says:

Aaaaaaaaaaggghhh.

19. ChipNASA says:

I was kind of monitoring the Scott Levy is not a Desert Storm veteran thread to see what *else* he’s going to be doing.

Calling the West Virginia Police on Jonn for Blogging is, well, the kind of prima donna, pussy, narcissistic, worthless asshat, full potato, monkey shit, kind of thing we’ve seen before.

I’ve been wondering if it went something like this ….

WVSP: Hi (Jonn, Mr Lilyea, Mr Jonn Lilyea, Dude)

Jonn: Yes sir

WVSP: Yes Jonn, some dickbag from Hollywood called us and asked us to come out and arrest you for Blogging

Jonn: Yes sir, understood. When will you be here?

WVSP: Oh shit Jonn, stop messing with us. This numbnuts sounded all butthurt for being busted and wanted *US* to do something about it.

Jonn: Yes, I do believe we’ve been through this before a number of times

WVSP: You’re right. I know we have on multiple occasions. Let me look in the regulations…..yes, *flips pages*, yes right here. I believe the penalty for this is…*pauses to read* Ah yes, here it is….House Bill 2664, §61-8-32.
    Yes it says we have to appear at your residence and are allowed to administer a Pee Pee smacking for your violation.

Jonn: WHAT??

WVSP: Oh come on Jonn, we’re just funning with you.

Jonn: *Whew*

WVSP: OK, well you have a good weekend Mr Lilyea

Jonn: You guys too.

*click*

(tee hee hee hee hee)

• Jonn Lilyea says:

Actually, the trooper thought that I had stopped blogging because it had been years since someone tried to have me arrested for posting publicly-available information on the internet.

• Skippy says:

If the TURD Scott Levy would have stayed in instead of being a little bitch
      He would have understood and learned his rank structure
      1.Never piss-off a senior NCO
      but the casting couch queen doesn’t seen to understand
      So we will teach him

• GDContractor says:

Chip, you left out
      WVSP: Are you a Marine, sir?
      Jonn: What?
      WVSP: I asked if you are a Marine, sir?
      Jonn: F U C K N O!

• Ex-PH2 says:

So, what you’re saying, ChipNASA, is that Scott Levy, who does some acting stints in Hollywood the Industry, is behaving the way a stalker would behave?

Is that something that people should be aware of?

It must be difficult for him, knowing that people aren’t afraid of him.

On another note, I included a seedless watermelon in my grocery purchases this afternoon, because there was a bin full of them and the price for seedless was much lower than the price for seeded. La sandia was, in fact, quite heavy weighing around 18 lbs, had the required hollow sound to it, and when I took it next door to cut it in half and share it with my neighbor and his daughter who had brought the grandkids with her, the brilliant fuschia color and the scent of ripe melon alone were sufficient to set your mouth for the real taste of summer.

Damn! It is GOOD!

20. Graybeard says:

Top 100. Darn business meetings.

21. LC says:

In a different thread, Fyrfighter, HMCS and I were talking about an informal get-together. Just curious if any other TAH folk are out around Fort Carson or Denver and interested. If so, maybe we’ll look into logistics, if not, I’ll just meet up with Fyrfighter sometime and he can tell you that he spotted a rare sort-of liberal in God’s Country, Colorado. That’s about as rare as finding a gun-totin’ conservative eating kale.

22. LC says:

Well, shit – speaking of Fort Carson, there was a shooting there yesterday:

Seems the suspect is in custody and one person is injured. Anyone have more info?

23. Skyjumper says:

In other news, how would you like to be this guy, unfortunately tagged with the same name as Jonn’s buddy Bernastypants.

Fate can be all so cruel.

• ChipNASA says:

OMG, that’s about as bad as the guy in Oregon (?) who wasn’t one of our phonies and had people up his ass because of the internet confusion. Maybe it was NJ? I think he was a plumber or roofer?

I could be entirely wrong on all counts but it *was* a guy with the same name as one of our SV dicks.

• Skippy says:

BHWHAHAHAHAHA ! ! ! !

• Ex-PH2 says:

Just FYI, he’s been in that line of work for some time and has several properties registered under his name with the US Copyright office. He’s quite prolific, works hard, and does not pull fast ones on people… unlike an impersonator who happens to have the same name.

Having the same name as someone else is an accident of birth.

So where one person using that name has a life full of failures, the other person with that name has a life full of real successes that he earned.

24. Yesterday, I went on a senior citizens group picnic sponsored by the Golden Age Center here in Vernal, Utah.

I brought my guitar, and we went to the Strawberry Pinnacles.

If you’re ever in this area, you MUST see the Strawberry Pinnacles!

They consist of solid walls of huge cliffs and natural monoliths rising to the sky, surrounding a lush, picturesque valley of secluded ranches and resorts.

On our way there, we stopped in Duschesne, Utah, and I bought a Pepsi-Cola.

I saw some Patriot Guard Rider motorcyclists gathered in the parking lot, and I asked them what the event was.

They were escorting an American flag through forty-eight states.

One of the gals shook my hand, and another hugged me, as I was wearing my Cavalry stetson and my National Rifle Association blazer with my miniature ribbons on the lapel.

When I was paying for my Pepsi-Cola, the guy behind the counter asked me if I was in the 82d or the 101st, and I replied that I was in the 101st.

He said he was in the 82d, and I told him I’d grown up at Fort Bragg (home of the 82d Airborne Division), right outside the main gate.

On our way home, we stopped in Duschesne, Utah for ice cream, where I got a bodaciously mammoth-sized double-scooped cherry chocolate chip ice cream on a waffle cone.

Mmmmm, boy, but that was plumb larrupin’!

As we arrived in the parking lot of Ashley Valley Shadows, we were surprised to see three police cars there, one of which was a K-9 unit, with uniformed police officers standing by the front door.

It turns out that it was ME that they were looking for, and had been looking for all afternoon!

The certified nursing assistant who visits each week to clean my apartment and do my laundry had called, and getting no answer, had sent the police to check on my apartment.

What really worried them was that my apartment door was locked, but they could hear the television inside.

As I later explained to the police, if I’m home, the apartment door is always unlocked, in case emergency crews need immediate access, and when I’m absent, I leave the television (actually, it was my computer) operating for the benefit of burglars, so they won’t know whether or not I’m home.

It’s the same reason I never answer my telephone, but always let the answering machine screen all my calls, so a burglar won’t know whether or not I’m there.

The police had difficulty contacting anyone in charge of this apartment building, and in the meantime, someone who knows me was listening to the police on his scanner when he heard the police dispatcher say they were looking for me.

So, he called the Wheelers, old friends who live in Jensen, and they then got worried and tried unsuccessfully to contact me.

Finally, the police got a key to my apartment, so they could see if I was dead or alive, but I wasn’t there.

So, when I got home, and all the confusion was straightened out, I thanked the police for checking up on my welfare, and made telephone calls to reassure the people who had worried about my whereabouts.

Gosh, gee whillikers, I signed up for that picnic two weeks ago, and told everybody I was going!

But, folks here are elderly, and have trouble remembering, plus the folks who run this place are nearly impossible to get a hold of, especially if it’s urgent.

A neighbor suggested I put a note on my door saying I was gone, but that’s just plain stupid.

You never advertise to anyone that you’re not home.

There are people who have tried to murder me on several occasions in the past, and others have threatened to murder me, so I take no chances, sleeping with a loaded revolver, and wearing it every place I go, including at the picnic.

Of course, this building is already a very safe environment, as every resident is elderly, only about thirty people live here, so we all know each other, and a coded key punch is required to enter the outside door.

Anyway, yesterday was sure interesting!

25. Jonp says:

Dang…I was first once back in the day. No shit, there I was casting my 1,000yrd stare..never mind

26. Perry Gaskill says:

As part of the ongoing mission to keep TAH supplied with intel, here’s a piece in the New York Times Magazine about how the male gender needs to be disciplined for use of the term “snowflake.”

27. 26Limabeans says:

Scott Pelley just signed off for good by saying that the first amendment protects all the others.
    Don’t let door hit ya scotty.

28. Vexatious Defendant says:

BAM!

97th.

Succa’s …

Beat that!

29. This the URL of the article:

______________________________

This was the response that I posted:

“I see no logical reason for war with North Korea, nor do I see any logical reason for the continued presence of American forces in South Korea.

American military forces now guarding the border of North Korea would be better employed guarding the border of Mexico.

Professional military forces in foreign lands are an expensive burden on the taxpayers, and a temptation for professional career politicians seeking war to justify the expense.

Economically, it is far more practical to have America’s defense rely on local militia patrolling our own borders.”

30. Vexatious Defendant says:

Breaking News from Totally Obvious News Deak:

The following personnel have been relieved onboard USS FITZGERALD:

CO
    EO
    OOD
    JOOD
    CIC Watch Officer

The following will receive awards from heroism through achievement:

DCO
    EOOW
    Repair V Personnel
    Corpsman
    Etc …

31. 26Limabeans says:

Nice hi res photo of damage at:

Note the Phalanx gun above the damage.
    Looks like the phased array is out of service.

Here’s a story that should gladden your hearts. (sarc) Mayor Rahmbo went right up to the microphone and pointed and whined “That’s a SCHOOL! That’s a SCHOOOOL!” Pfleger was right there with the rage meme intact. Some day he’s going to pop a cranial arteriole.

The two girls are okay, the bad guys are in jail again, and the three suspended scallywags should know they aren’t welcome in that neighborhood any more.

Whatever happened to public stocks?

33. Jonn Lilyea says:

At about 2:30 today, expect a disturbance in the force when Hondo and I occupy the same battlespace.

34. As we think about those casualties aboard the USS FITZGERALD, here is a link to some official United States Navy recruiting photographs taken during the Second World War:

35. Graybeard says:

In case anyone needs to answer dumb questions about when lefists ever started trouble:

Speaking of dumb questions…

I was astounded today to engage in a conversation with a retired Navy medic (forgive me for not understanding the correct lingo – at least I do know that it’s not “coresman”) who had no idea that SEAL was all caps. Oddly enough, I’d had a similar conversation last week with another older Navy retiree.

Maybe it’s a generational thing? Guys who served at least part of their military career prior to SEALs being a thing perhaps are just unaware. I dunno. Still, it surprised me.

Any ideas? How does this happen? No wonder civilians are clueless.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

Kinda why I am prepared to give folks slack if their stories are a bit off. The denizens of this forum often cannot agree on what’s what, and the combined knowledge base here is pretty imporessive. The services do change things, often for seemingly capricious reasons, and memories often get more than a little off with advancing age.

Just look at how “hooah” has morphed in 30 years. In 1986, at Fort Benning, if anyone said it, and it was not common, it was a short hard grunt, accent on the first syllable = “HOOuh”, like a fighters Kiai, or just a short unstressed “huah”. Now it is this long drawn out “HooooAAAAAhhhh!”, second syllable stressed, like the “HuzzaAAHHhh!” of centuries past.

Do they still send newbies out for “cans of Squelch”, or have they invented new digital-high-tech snipes to hunt? “Chemlight batteries” I know. Do they now ask new arrivals to help pull on the other end of a Tactical Push?

37. Claw says:

Happy Father’s Day to all.

But on to the subject of this comment:

You know, they always say everyone deserves a proper burial or a dignified cremation. Apparently there is a third option.

Just saw a picture on the Interwebz of a hearse towing a wood chipper.

So there’s an image to stick in your mind all day./smile

Happy Father’s Day to you geezers with offspring and grand-offspring, and maybe great-grand-offspring.

39. Sparks says:

Happy Father’s Day to all my fellow TAH dads here. Wishing you all the best as we remember our fathers and look upon our sons.