Jan Spann; phony Vietnam veteran

| July 17, 2017 | 233 Comments

Someone sent us their work on this Janis Spann Hartman person. She’s a member of the school board in Banning, California;

She also claims to have been a registered nurse in Vietnam for two tours from 1968-1971. The second screen shot is from an article about her and her book.

Well the problem is that the California State University of Long Beach says she was in college during those years;

And the Army says that they’ve never heard of her;

I don’t know what the deal is with school board folks, she’s the third one we’ve had in the last year who has had to lie about military service to get elected. There was Eric Nelson and Michael Sleeper. I didn’t know there was a military requirement for school board members.

Brown Neck Gaiter points out that she also runs the John And Janis Spann Foundation, whatever that is.

ADDED Sept. 2, 2017; An email from Jan Spann to the school board was discovered in which she apologizes for an episode she blames on her PTSD that she caught in Vietnam;

1. Graybeard says:

And folks wonder why public education is such a mess.

2. IDC SARC says:

I’d hit it…bad gurl.

3. FatCircles0311 says:

Common core resumes. I once saw an episode of MASH therefor I was a nurse in the military. Another boomer pile of shit.

4. IDC SARC says:

Guess somebody should have told her that officers don’t enlist per se…..and a Flight Nurse…at nineteen….wtf kinda accelerated nursing school did she supposedly attend?

and she just had to talk about combat…the horror, the horror

• Club Manager says:

The Air Force had flight nurses on the med evacs. Does anyone recall ever seeing a “nurse” on a dust-off? They had crew, probably a medic but a 19 year old blond, give me a break.

• rgr769 says:

So far as I have heard, never in the history of the war did a female nurse ride out to the bush on a dustoff. The only medical person on a dustoff was a medic. Everyone on a dustoff helicopter other than one or two medics had aviation MOS’s. Plus, it would have been a violation of the rules barring women from being exposed to combat. The only nurses I ever saw were at Evac hospitals, which were located in the Division rear area inside large secure bases. I was at the 91st Evac helipad on several occasions and watched WIA casualties being offloaded from Dustoff Hueys. There weren’t any females getting off those birds, and my eyesight was still 20/20 back then.

5. David says:

So obviously LB State is in error and her degree is spurious. Seems to me her nursing certification should be yanked… regrettable after her heroic service but hey, ya wanna be a hero, ya gotta pay some dues.

6. sj says:

Huh? She didn’t nurse them. She went out and found them and brought them back???

What, she walked through the boonies and dragged WIA back? Was she on dust off’s? Really. I was there in ’67 & ’68 with the 101 and 82nd and I never saw a female doing that. Amazing

7. QM1 says:

That atrocious speller is a member of the School Board? Yikes.

8. UpNorth says:

It’s Califruitsnnutz, this will be a resume enhancer for her.

GA-A-A-CKKKK! Hairball time! She must have been a big fan of “China Beach”, right? Except, she boogied on out to firebase whatsitsname and went out on patrols with da troops, fer sure.

Geez, do people like this have no sense at all? Do they really think nobody checks this stuff? At least she doesn’t claim she was ‘repelling’ out of choppers.

• Commissioner Wretched says:

Oh, she’s repelling, all right.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Uh, if you make that ‘repellent’, I agree.

There is a list of real Army nurses who were on duty in-country, as well as Air Force nurses. This is the Virtual Wall listing those who died over there.

As far as I know, the Navy’s nurses were all stationed on the hospital ships off shore. Repose was there first, followed by Sanctuary.

Normally, I have no interest in FB, but this is an exception to that.

This bitch makes me completely nauseous.

• Pinto Nag says:

No, they really believe that everyone else secretly believes just what they do. So no, it never occurs to them that the reality is supported by actual facts and documentation.

10. Wilted Willy says:

No dog, no Harley, no vest? Come on Lady, you are not even in the running to be a shit bag! You are just a lying old bitch! Go back in your hole and cry to mommy! BITCH!!!

11. IDC SARC says:

She’s doubling down on FB.

12. Mick says:

My cousin was an Army Nurse and she actually served in Vietnam.

I just sent her this story, and hopefully she’ll roll in hot with some commentary at some point here today.

If she does show up, get a case of cold beer and plenty of popcorn, because it’s gonna be good.

13. Combat Historian says:

Wow, an enlisted nurse; those were rarer than hens teeth in the Nam. I bet she was at least a Spec 8… (sarc)

• MSG Eric says:

From the sound of her claims, they promoted her to AT LEAST SPC 15!

• USMCMSgt(Ret) says:

An RN at 19?

Probably goes like this:

“So there I was, attending college at Cal State Long Beach when an Army Recruiter approached me after Microbiology class. He told me my scores were so high that I could join the Army’s Accelerated Nurse Program. This was a new “pilot program” and considered classified, no there wouldn’t be any records. With that I decided to join”.

“While attending college, the Army gave me a commission and made me a nurse, and flew me back and forth to Viet of the Nam on weekends to perform my military duties. I was allowed to serve AND get a college degree. I thought at the time this service would help me enter local politics years later”.

“Little did I know I would be afflicted with the PTSD after seeing so many boys killed, and I grew more and more aware of how awful war can be”.

• IDC SARC says:

Nursing school, Officer Indoctrination School, Basic Nursing Internship, flight nurse training etc.. all the hoops to get qualified to do that job and she’s 19 doing it in Nam….yeah right.

I don’t know the structure for evacs then, but when I was 19 and running wounded Marines around the only time I saw a bird with a Flight Nurse was a fixed wing Nightingale that we had to fly by helo about an hour and a half one way to meet on an airstrip in another country. If they failed to meet us I had to go all the way to Italy.

• rgr769 says:

My wife was an Army Nurse (O-1 and O-2) during this woman’s bogus timeframe. At the time, it took at least two years of civilian nursing school plus 3 months at Ft. Sam Houston to become commissioned and qualified as an Army Nurse. And my wife confirmed there were no non-officer, enlisted nurses during this period. So, even without the paperwork above, Ms. Spann is a lying SOS poser. In November 1971, when My wife was fully trained she volunteered to go to RVN. She was told she could not get that assignment because the Army was not sending any newly qualified nurses to RVN anymore.

Wonder if/when she’ll claim kin (blood or marriage) to Michael Spann?

15. Mark Lauer says:

She was a “MEDEVAC Nurse” who “went out and found” wounded soldiers.

So, she went on the helos with the guys, and then, what….ran through the jungle with her M16 looking for wounded?
    I’ll give her an A for imagination. What GI wouldn’t have wanted to see some babe come running through the jungle just looking for HIM?
    But then “boys” have lots of fantasies.
    And this old hag has one BIG one.

• rfisher says:

Actually, she claims to be a “medivac nurse”. If you can’t even spell it, you probably aren’t one.

• Ex-PH2 says:

The college (CA State College of Long Beach) says her BS is in medical microbiology. That’s a lab tech’s degree. There was in the 1960s and still is such a thing as a BS degree in nursing science. I knew an HM1 who wanted to get a BS in nursing, then go for an MS and a PhD in it. She can ‘identify’ all she wants to, but can she describe an iliopsoas abscess leg block? Or how to keep a rhinoplasty from bleeding during surgery? Does she have any idea what a shrapnel punctured ascending colon smells like? (Hint: it smells like shit.)
      Since there’s always work for nurses and a demand for them, I wonder exactly what is going on there.

• IDC SARC says:

A BS in Microbiology doesn’t even qualify you to be a lab tech. It qualifies you to go to more schooling. It’s a degree used as a Pre-Med vehicle to medical school or a steppingstone in the pathway for a PhD.

In itslef it would not qualify her to touch a patient in the capacity of a nurse or other medical provider.

It would likely open up the door for some lesser certification exams, but would be complete overkill for them.

It’s also possible she could get a BS in Microbiology and not even satisfy the prereqs for medical or nursing school if it was designed to simply advance to the upper levels of microbiology. I’d have to see the actual transcript.

Her degree would be in Medical Laboratory Technology if it was designed to have competence as an MLT.

• Ex-PH2 says:

So something about this stinks more and more….

• Mark Lauer says:

I love it when you talk dirty!!

16. MrBill says:

Her LinkedIn profile says she was in college from 1966-71, and says nothing about military service.

17. The Chief says:

I wrote the author of that article. Hopefully he does the right thing

18. Aussiepusser says:

Jeezus. What a horrible cow. Women have so much trouble getting recognised for their service, and it’s usually because of cretins like her. She dishonours every woman whoever served, ever, but particularly nurses in Vietnam. She’s a bloody disgrace. Cow

19. My, My, My says:

The reviews for her book on Amazon look like they are pretty good. I wonder if the book is that good? LOL

• Graybeard says:

Color me skeptical.

• Ex-PH2 says:

If she did her research properly for that, and the book itself is any good, then it’s logical to ask why she didn’t do the same for her Viet of the Nam claim, isn’t it?

For example, was she with a MASH or a CASH? And which one?

• Ex-PH2 says:

Update: I read the ‘look inside’ pages that Amazon offers. It is rambling and disorganized. She swaps tenses from past to present like tennis player in a singles match. I don’t think she understands the South in the mid-19th century at all, not even close to the way Mitchell knew it like the back of her hand. She sets it in the territory of Kansas but makes no reference to its history as ‘bleeding Kansas’, and tries to mimic Southern accents, which is completely false. There were several people who read it and liked it, but had little to say about it, although one reviewer said there was no real point to the story.
        So I’d guess it’s so-so and only get it if it’s a freebie.

• Graybeard says:

So, no ghost writer?

And this grammar genius wants to be on the school board. I pity the children.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Nope, no ghost writer. The impression I get from everything she’s said is that she’s sloppy about a lot of things, thinking perhaps that no one will really notice.
          That’s always a mistake, especially in something like claiming to be an in-country nurse when she was actually in undergrad school. Big mistake. Big, huge mistake.

• 1610desig says:

Bet she used ghost writer…she’s a phony author too…

• Ex-PH2 says:

Ghost writers are usually employed by people who want their autobiography but don’t feel they have the skills to do it right. It isn’t an uncommon thing.

But for a novel? That would only apply to a popular series that a publisher wants to continue, such as ‘Flowers In the Attic’, which has many sequels written by various people under the original author’s name. In that case, it’s legitimate.

In this silly woman’s case, it is not.

20. Joseph Williams says:

Sorry for being late. I had to get my blood pressure down. NO WOMEN or VIPs were flown into a hot LZ. No Med Officers either. Only Medics and Corpsmen flew on Medi vac missions (that means MALES ONLY). Simple question for her how many Air Medals does she have ? What squadrons did she fly with ? Where were they based ? Total LIAR! Joe

• SFC D says:

I know of at least one medical officer hitting a hot LZ. Courtesy of http://ameddregiment.amedd.army.mil/silverstar/vw/vietnamwar2.html

*RUNION, MARION G.
      Captain, Dental Corps, U.S. Army
      Company B, 1st Med Battalion, 1st Infantry Division
      Date of Action: 2 February 1967
      Synopsis: Citation Needed
      The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918 (amended by an act of July 25, 1963), takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Captain Marion G. Runion, Dental Corps, United States Army, for gallantry in action in connection with military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam. Captain Runion went forward with a dust-off ship when word was received of a casualty who was wounded in the neck and jaw and having trouble breathing. The ship was fired on as he was helping to guide it to the landing zone. Once on the ground Captain Runion proceeded to the casualty and carried him to the helicopter. As the ship took off it was hit my enemy fire and crashed, killing all aboard. Captain Runion’s conduct and actions reflect the highest traditions of the Army Medical Service.
      General Orders: USARV Medical Bulletin, USARV PAM 40-3 May/June 1967

21. Thunderun53 says:

A quick skim of her charity shows that 100% of the income of the charity goes to administrative costs and no money has actually been spent on community benefits. Yet, she was able to get tax free status from the IRS. Total assets appear to be just over $35K. That’s a nice little nest egg they got going there.

And no, there is no such animal as an enlisted RN.

22. thebesig says:

Originally posted by Jan Spann:

I became whoever they needed me to be in order to get them back::mom,.lover..did not matter. i filled that void.

Freudian slip? Could this be a subconscious slip that she turned tricks to help pay for college? 🙄 😮 :mrgreen:

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

She could have been uuhhhm, one of those gals that regularly visited Enlisted Barracks at some AD Post if you knowhutimean…, thus she self-identifies as former AD and THAT justifies her saying so, maybe she was the “Barracks Comfort Girl” for some AD Medical Unit?

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

She might have been a *cough* “Communal Barracks Girlfriend” to some AD Medical Unit, thus her claim.

23. CA_SGT says:

I may or may not have contacted said school board on the phone.

24. Poetrooper says:

Seriously, Jonn, you’re going to have to run a reading comprehension course here before allowing anyone to comment. All these turkeys are going off on this poor lady about not being a nurse in the UNITED STATES Army when she clearly states in the above bio that she thanks you for allowing her to serve her COUNTY.

Now I’m certain if one of you intrepid Internet sleuths will just find out what COUNTIES sent COUNTY ARMY nurses to Vietnam and which one she hailed from, this can all be cleared up and this fine, honest medical professional can continue both her medical and writing careers.

Oh, and don’t forget to drop a few bucks into her foundation as penance. I’m sure it will go to some good purpose in her COUNTY.

25. RM3(SS) says:

Man there’s some Japanese/Jewish guy just giving her hell on her Facespace page. :p

26. Alemaster says:

Just checked with Senator Richard Blumenthal, he remembers her being there. regards, Alemaster

In that article quoting her, she says she thought she was ‘Florence ‘f##king’ Nightingale’. I have never ever heard a real nurse refer to that woman in such a revolting way. This broad becomes more and more disgusting with each passing moment.

28. 26Limabeans says:

Claiming to be a nurse in Vietnam.
    This one disgusts me. Claiming to have been there is bad enough but claiming to have treated those that fell is beyond posing. It is just plain sick.

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

I grew up knowing a Doctor who was a MASH Surgeon in Vietnam and he was always very modest about his service there which intensifies my disgust with Jan Spam, I mean Spann.

29. Guard Bum says:

I just checked her FB page and some of the comments are epic. Mirimoto Epstein is hilarious with his burns!!

30. Claw says:

Somebody ought to tell her on Facebook that the easiest way to put this foofaraw to rest is by simply providing her class number at Army Flight Nurse School.

No DD214 need be shown, no fear of having PII compromised, no orders number for an award of the Army Flight Nurse Badge or subsequent Air Medals, just a simple class number./smile

• IDC SARC says:

Strange how her linked in page includes her undergrad in microbiology, but no nursing school. The word nursing doesn’t even exist in her listed skills.

Oh wait…that’s not strange at all

• Hondo says:

Given the fact that the Army and NPRC apparently have no record of her, I’d still like to see the DD214.

• IDC SARC says:

same here, but considering her time in the undergrad program I don’t see where she could have been anything except a reservist at best.

Micro is a bench science which requires a lot of attendance. Even in today’s distance learning environment you can’t really study micro in any capacity without having to be there in the lab. A blended course could be managed in some cases, but it really isn’t done much and especially not if it’s your major.

• rgr769 says:

I don’t know about today’s U.S. Army badge-a-copia, but back in those days there was no such thing as an Army Flight Nurse, let alone a school to train them.

• IDC SARC says:

There is abundant evidence that the designation existed and was initially begun in 1943 and there was a program for the training. However, it centered on fixed wing transport which is where you still start seeing Nurse Corps types.

Just scan through some of the historical pages.

• rgr769 says:

I am sure there were army flight nurses in 1943 because the Army was the branch of service of the Army Air Corps. During WWII all nurses were either Army or Navy. After the US Air Force became its own service and took over the fixed wing aircraft used as air ambulances, I doubt there would be such designation in the Army anymore. I know the Air Force had nurses on the flight crews on the medevac C-141’s that flew our wounded to Japan. But the Army in 1960 to 1972, I don’t see how since the only medevac aircraft the army had were helos.

• rgr769 says:

But hey, maybe she time traveled back to WWII to be an Army Air Corps “flight” nurse.

• IDC SARC says:

I’m not trying to be difficult. But I am a Nurse and have had to study the history of nursing. I found references to Army flight nurses in Vietnam in the 60s from official websites. I really don’t wish to get repetitive or annoy you.

You could be correct, but as I said I found info from military websites including AMEDD that reference Army flight nurses (fixed wing) in Vietnam in the late 60s. There were also btw Army nurses on Hospital ships during that time.

Cheers.

• Claw says:

Gentlemen, Gentlemen, I know all about the stuff mentioned above. That’s why I put a smile on the end of my comment. We went through all this first with Margaret DeSanti (poser) and a little later with her generational replacement MSG/1SG/CSM Tammy McPherson (another poser) both of which never spent a day in uniform.

So now comes Jan Spann with the same old line of being a Medevac Flight Nurse swooping down from the heavens in a dustoff and saving lives while fighting for her county.

My suggestion of asking for a Flight Nurse School Class Number on her FB page was simply playing the Objective AF (Home Version) game hoping she would take the bait.

• rgr769 says:

I am correct. During the RVN war there was no MOS for an Army Flight Nurse. There were also no fixed wing aircraft configured and used for medevac by the Army during the period 1968 to 1974. Other than the L-19/O-1 Birddog and the OV-1 Mohawk and some utility aircraft, the Army had no fixed wing aircraft in Vietnam. There were no Army fixed wing aircraft suitable to medevac casualties from the field. I served in two infantry divisions and operated from about a dozen different bases throughout the northern portion of RVN. Never saw or heard of a female nurse on a medevac or other helo, which was the way to extract wounded from the field. I don’t doubt that there have been army nurses on helos evac’ing WIA in Iraq and Afghanistan, but the stuff I read said they were not there as assigned “flight” nurses, but on an ad hoc basis. But maybe in the Viet of the Nam at some time long long ago there could have been some Army nurses assigned to flying unicorns, but they weren’t dustoff crewmembers.

• IDC SARC says:

You’re kinda putting specific meaning into my inferences that simply weren’t there and I could argue some of the technicalities of your statements against the records of inter-service operability assignments.

I didn’t think she had formal flight training or MOS, many people (like myself)that ran medevacs did so OJT/ad hoc my point was to get her to describe it. Had she said she went to Lackland AFB or something, I could have then gone from there. I never claimed any nurses were assigned to helo evac platforms in Vietnam nor do I believe that is so based on the .mil sites I’ve looked at in that regard.

…but as I said it really doesn’t matter to me. 🙂

• Perry Gaskill says:

An interesting bit of aviation trivia is that the first female flight attendant was a nurse named Ellen Church who went to work for United in 1930. From then until World War II, the airlines switched from male stewards to nurse/stewardesses. The practice apparently ended when the war came along, due to demand for trained medical people for the military, and never resumed when the war was over.

31. HMCS(FMF) ret says:

But, does she know LONG DUK DONG (GONG!!!)?

Fucking Assclown!

32. Jeff LPH 3, 63-66 says:

No comment. I got out in Nov. of 66, and the ship left Norfolk in 67 to San Diego/Southeast Asia. People ask me numerous times if i served in Viet Nam and my reply is always a big no. Ship went there without me I reply. Had a young girl working the check out line at Publix that asked me if I was a WW 1 veteran when she saw my cap. The school systems do not teach early history anymore. I asked the young lady if I looked like I was 116 years old? Only 70 at that time.

33. Sarge359 says:

This is an interesting read regarding Stolen Valor con-artist Jan Spann. Click on the link:

34. Sarge359 says:

Please leave comments regarding the Stolen Valor con-artist Jan Spann on the Banning Informer Facebook page.

35. The Chief says:

Crap! She is actually friends with the reporter who did her story in the paper. I guess he will never correct the story.

36. Ranger11bv says:

Guys as nasty as she may be that shes a liar, we cant keep spamming her!! This site CAN BE TAKEN DOWN for that..

Wow.

What a clown.

38. Sarge359 says:

Ironically, as many times as her Facebook has been commented on by the Vets, it doesn’t seem to matter. I would have thought she would have locked her FB down in order to stop the comments. But No…. Obviously, Jan does not care. She continues to remain in the Nam Zone, thinking about the rescues and days gone by.

39. Sarge359 says:

A Banning Citizen reports the following:

BANNING SCHOOL BOARD MEETING.
    So, tonight I watched the Banning Unified School Board Meeting, and was it ever interesting. Viet Nam Veteran Rick Pippenger called out the Wannabe Viet Nam Veteran Jan Spann, but she did not respond. Ironically, Spann stood at the position of Parade Rest while Pippenger spoke. Really?
    Then there was US Navy Veteran Diane Smith. Diane ripped into the Wannabe Spann and began to bring up her lies one at a time. Diane then read in to the record some of Wannabe Spann’s hallucinogenic Viet Nam war stories.
    Finally, being fully disgusted, and on the verge of vomiting, Diane concluded her speech.
    At the end of the meeting, Wannabe Spann made this comment: “I could put this to rest very easily, but I will not be bullied.”
    The thing is, if the Wannabe Spann would just provide a copy of her DD Form 214, this would all go away. But she refuses to disclose the document.
    Why ??? Because she does not have one!!!!!!!
    Hell fire, the United States Army doesn’t have one.
    So, the saga continues……

40. Sarge359 says:

On the Facebook page of:
    The SunLakes/BanningTattler, the Editor writes:
    Janis Spann (Banning School Board Member) caught in a boldface and grossly insulting lie that she was a Medevac Nurse in Viet Nam while serving in the US Army from 1968-1971, all in the name of selling her fictional and very boring Civil War book. Isn’t there some government punishment for impersonating a veteran for monetary gain?

See full Record Gazette interview here:

The Stolen Valor Act of 2013

President Obama signed into law the latest version of the Stolen Valor Act, which makes it a federal crime for people to pass themselves off as war heroes by wearing medals they didn’t rightfully earn.
    The law signed in to effect in 2013 by President Obama includes another provision, making it illegal to make the claims with the intent to obtain money, property or other tangible benefits.

For Janis Spann, this could be the start of big problems for her.

41. Sarge359 says:

I have to commend Mirimoto Epstein. You are absolutely awesome……

Keep up your Good Work !!!

42. 26Limabeans says:

Gee, no response. Not even denial. Just a brush off to all the “bullies”
    Is this a new tactic that is not covered in the manual?

Anyone who has witnessed the offloading of the dead and wounded on the helipad at an Evac hospital in Vietnam will attest to the disgust that this woman exudes. This one really needs to have the light shined on her.

43. Sarge359 says:

This is a great video. Navy Veteran Diane Smith is ripping Phony Viet Nam Veteran and School Board member Jan Spann.

Watch here:

44. IDC SARC says:

looks like Jan is busy deleting posts on FB…give her some love if y’all have some time.

45. Sarge359 says:

IDC SARC is correct, Jan Spann’s FB is clean. All of Miromoto’s brillant work has been erased. Whatta shame.

46. IDC SARC says:

No surprise there’s no Registered Nurse by the name of Spann, Hartman, or Spann-Hartman licensed in California.

So, we’ve established that:

A – Jan Spann is not a nurse of any kind.
    B – Jan Spann has never been in any branch of the military.
    C – Jan Spann is a self-serving individual who will do anything to get what she wants.

Yeah, she completely met the stereotype quals for a politician. I hope she enjoys the notoriety.

Oh, one last little tug at the sleeve: having your portrait done while you’re wearing white doesn’t make you a nurse. All the nurses I’ve seen lately wear colored scrubs. What a maroon!

48. Sarge359 says:

Looks like “Clyde Diddit” got on Jan’s Facebook again. Good Job Clyde… Let her have it !!

I hope Mirimoto can get back on, he is just hilarious!