Corporal Richard John Seadore comes home

| July 17, 2017 | 11 Comments

19-year-old Richard John Seadore enlisted in the Army in 1949 with his 17-year-old brother, Johnny. After a bout with the measles, he finished basic training. Both were sent to Korea that year, according to the North Platte Bulletin. Find-a-grave tells the story of his capture by the Chinese;

In December 1950, Seadore was a member of Company D, 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, when all units of the United Nations Command were moving south after units of the Chinese People’s Volunteer Forces (CPVF) staged mass attacks during their Second Phase Offensive. On Dec. 14, the Regiment sent out a reconnaissance patrol. While Seadore’s company did not participate in the patrol, they remained in defensive positions north of Uijong-bu, South Korea. The CPVF attacked and penetrated the company’s defensive line. As the unit prepared to move the following day, Seadore could not be located and was he was reported absent without leave (AWOL). His status was later amended to missing in action.

A fellow-POW who was familiar with Richard reported to the Army that he had been killed while he was a prisoner. Despite the eye witness account, the Army left him classified as missing in action.

According to the Bulletin, Seadore’s remains came in two boxes – one turned over by the North Koreans in 1992 and another discovered in a former POW camp in Suan County, North Korea where Richard had been held by the Chinese at the time of his death. Those remains were recovered by DPAA teams that had been allowed into North Korea.

The DPAA notified his family in April that they had identified his remains thanks to a DNA sample from his brother, Al. Hondo told us that DPAA had identified him back in May. The Bulletin reports that a service will be held on August 4th when Richard finally makes it home;

Al Seadore told Mike Wendorff of the Callaway Courier that even after 60 some years, he gets pretty emotional when he tells the story.

“I shared it in church Sunday and I called my two sons (and told them),” he said. “Yeah, after all these years, you wouldn’t think it would touch home like that.”

The Seadore family sacrificed two sons to the cause of freedom — Richard in Korea and Larry in Vietnam.

Although MIAs and POWs are sometimes forgotten, they are remembered always by their families, and in many cases, by their country.

Category: We Remember

Comments (11)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Ex-PH2 says:

    Long time missing… Welcome home Mr. Seadore.

  2. RGR 4-78 says:

    Rest in Peace, Corporal.

  3. Wilted Willy says:

    May God bless you and your family at this difficult time. Thank you for your service and your great sacrifice! BZ Soldier, BZ!

  4. Sparks says:

    Welcome home Brother. Rest in peace in your home soil.

  5. 2banana says:

    His unit was attacked, the perimeter penetrated and it takes his unit a day to figure out the CPL is missing?

    And when they couldn’t find him the unit then marks him as AWOL like he ran away with a stripper while drunk?

    What f*cked up leadership…

    • Graybeard says:

      There is a lot of chaos in times like that. It takes time to try to account for everyone.

      That is, it was not necessarily poor leadership.

      • 2banana says:

        Yeah. Its tough. Hey Squad Leader, you got everyone?

        Especially check hard. The perimeter was compromised and we had gooks past the wire.

        And, if anyone is missing we will assume they were not captured and just walked away…

        Ok move out!

    • USMC Steve says:

      Unfortunately, the Army in Korea at that time was not very good at its duties in some cases. Five years of peacetime activities, lack of funding and lack of training, contributed to lack of leadership and combat skills. Harry Truman and Douglas MacArthur also share the blame for that stuff. When the Chinese hit the UN forces in the Chosin reservoir area, the Army basically crumbled.

      • UpNorth says:

        Don’t forget, HST and his Secretary of Defense, Louis A. Johnson, waged one effective war after 1945, that was against the U.S. military. Johnson bragged at the time that he’d cut the military to the bone, then he cut some of the bone.
        There was no money for equipment, personnel or training. Because the Air Force could drop A-bombs.

        That said, welcome home, brother.

  6. Deplorable B Woodman says:

    Damn, it’s dusty here…..

  7. Jeff says:

    Yes Sir, damn dusty.
    Welcome home my older brother.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *