Only female sailor drops from SEAL training

| August 13, 2017 | 39 Comments

The Associated Press reports that the the only female sailor in the current SEAL Training class has voluntarily dropped from the course.

No other woman has started the long process required to become a Navy SEAL, Walton said.

Another woman has set her sights on becoming a Special Warfare Combatant Crewman, another job that recently opened to women. They often support the SEALs but also conduct missions of their own using state-of-the art, high-performance boats. She has started the various evaluations and standard Navy training.

Officials have said it would be premature to speculate when the Navy will see its first female SEAL or Special Warfare Combatant Crewman.

The entry of women in one of the military’s most elite fighting forces is part of ongoing efforts to comply with then-Defense Secretary Ash Carter’s directive in December 2015 to open all military jobs to women, including the most dangerous commando posts.

I’m sure there will a cacophonous gnashing of teeth among the folks who only want a female SEAL, regardless of the costs to training the force, but none of teeth gnashers will volunteer themselves to take the challenge.

Thanks to David for the link. I’ve been waiting for the mainstream media to find the cojones to report this before I bothered.

Category: Navy

1. A Proud Infidel®™ says:

Just look at the amount of Male Sailors who wash out, and they’re going apeshit about ONE Female bailing?

2. IDC SARC says:

She wasn’t actually in BUD/S

• IDC SARC says:

“The female midshipman voluntarily decided to not continue participating in a summer course that’s required of officers who want to be selected for SEAL training”

Not BUD/S

3. Texas Nomad says:

No shame in trying. I wouldn’t have made it either.

If only 18 out of 85 in one class of GUYS make it through, it is no picnic.

Surprised the CNO is not forcing them through…..

6. Sapper3307 says:

Was this the trans-gender student?

7. Jeff LPH 3, 63-66 says:

I commented awhile ago that when I was aboard the OKIE 3, a rep from the UDT at the time in 1964, came aboard looking for Sailors to join a new unit called the sea, land air which are the seals. He explained what was involved and I do not remember if anyone signed up for
    it. While operating in the carribean, we did have UDT members do hull inspections for us. We were COMPHIBRON 8 at the time as our home port was in Norfolk, Va.

8. FatCircles0311 says:

Can’t you still get denied entrance into a SEAL team even if you complete the training? Something to do with they have discretion to deny anyone they want for the reason of they won’t be suitable for the teams? If so, would a woman ever be suitable for teams? Just something to think about it.

• IDC SARC says:

guess they’ll have to cross that bridge when they get to it…since she wasn’t even in BUD/S, worrying about SQT and the eventual assignment to a team is not a front burner issue.

• Since I was just a common, ordinary soldier in the United States Army, I might be wrong about this, but I think Rangers and Special Forces work the same way.

Earning a “Ranger” tab doesn’t mean a guy will be assigned to a 75th Airborne Ranger Regiment, and being qualified to wear the Green Beret doesn’t mean a guy will be assigned to an “A” Team.

• IDC SARC says:

She was in something a preconditioning program that once finished qualifies the earner no right to any particular MOS…only a consideration to go to BUD/S

Rangers school is open to many soldiers that will never actually be Rangers but can earn the tab. BUD/S is not open in any way to such attendance.

BUD/S does not qualify the graduate to wear the Trident, follow on training such as SQT and the final approval of a board approves the Trident and actually being a SEAL.

SEALs become SEALS to be assigned as SEALS.

• mr. sharkman says:

I think I sweat more over my boards than over anything @ BUD/S.

• Silentium Est Aureum says:

Similar to being on a submarine.

Up to two years of school, etc., and the second you walk on board, you’re handed a thick-ass stack of quals and told, “Hello, Petty Officer SEA, get hot, you dink non-qual nub piece of shit!”

And yeah, never knew sweat like the times I sat my qual board for dolphins or one-on-one with the Captain for RO/SRO. Power School was a cakewalk, comparatively speaking.

• mr. sharkman says:

Much respect for all Submariners.

I used to enjoy telling Discovery Channel Commandos that actually, the highest washout % of any US mil school was Nuclear Power.

And the sweat-inducing nature of the boards appears to be very similar.

All that work, pain, blood, and sweat and if you F-up its unlikely you’ll get a second chance.

And then you hear of some dude that was 100% more squared away than you not passing his boards? WTF, O!?!?!

9. Stacy0311 says:

I thought Kristen Beck was the first female SEAL……

Well, as NAVY said up above http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=73982&cpage=1#comment-3024832
    women generally don’t want to do this kind of thing. If you can’t generate enough interest to form a group of women to try to qualify, then let it go.