Derlyn Roberts speaks gibberish in sign language

| December 6, 2017 | 58 Comments

Andy11M sends us a link to the story of Derlyn Roberts who was the sign language translator for a press conference for the Tampa Police Department as they talked about the arrest of their local serial killer. Roberts was a felon just released from prison last year for identity theft according to MSN;

Rachelle Settambrino, a sign language teacher at the University of South Florida, told the Tampa Bay Times that when Dugan said his agency received around 5,000 tips about the four murders, Roberts signed something along the lines of “fifty-one hours ago, zero 12 22 [gibberish] murder three minutes in 14 weeks ago in old [gibberish] four five 55,000 plea 10 arrest murder bush [gibberish] three age 24.”

For those of you who aren’t veterans, that’s exactly how some of those valor thieves sound when they explain away their lack of a military career.

From the Daily News;

The incident comes just two months after another Florida press conference went completely off the rails for the hearing impaired when officials were attempting to spread vital pre-Hurricane Irma information to residents of Manatee County.

Instead, the interpreter told viewers “pizza want you are” and that they “need be bear monster.”

Florida is jam-packed with people who aren’t happy with the trajectory of their lives.

Category: Dumbass Bullshit

1. Cpl/Major Mike says:

And for you veterans who might not have a severe hearing loss that’s how at least half the staff at VA sound to those of us who do. Listening to someone speak English can be pretty tough at times, but when you have to try and decipher heavily accented English it can get terribly frustrating, especially if you happen to be in audiology.

2. Hack Stone says:

Maybe she was just signing Dallas Wittgenfeld’s court testimony.

3. Josey Wales says:

Government – *PTUI*

4. Fyrfighter says:

With a name like “Derlyn”, apparently her parents did too

I’m going to make up my own language to use when speaking to such people. It would be delightful to completely throw them off the wall and watch them crumble.

May Pizza be with you.
    And with your cat.
    Nommehn.

All-Points Logistics is the place to be…..

7. Jeff LPH 3, 63-66 says:

I’ll sign on with no comment on this comment.

8. Mason says:

Inspires a lot of confidence when your government leaders can’t find an interpreter.

They should have just done this: (SFW, classic SNL, back when it was funny, so a longggg time ago)

9. UpNorth says:

The chief of the Tampa PD and his command staff should all be fired.
    Imagine if this female showed up, not to make a mockery of the press conference, but wrapped in a suicide belt, or carrying a Glock and couple of mags?
    And, they “didn’t request an interpreter” for the news conference? Then maybe somebody should have checked her ID and find out why she was there?

10. 1610desig says:

This is falling on deaf ears

11. zeek says:

thank you for a nice lol!

12. REMF says:

It’s very clear this woman was affirmative action virtue signaling?

13. Tallywhagger says:

Got hearing aids in January. The audiologist adjusted them to the level of what normal sound sounds like to those with ordinary hearing. I had to turn them off.

Eleven months later I have worked up to wearing the hearing aids for trips to the grocery store. I cannot play any of my instruments while wearing them as the compressor/limiter setting is constantly overwhelmed, even by my piano.

For sure, the aids are designed to enhance the range of spoken word. FWIW, I prefer a quiet world most of the time. Fortunately, Betsy hears everything, just fine. Anytime I have to communicate with someone else she’s there to translate. I can read her lips but, to be honest, the facial expression tells me about as much as I want to know.

OTOH, my sister can sign, in French or English, about as fast as it can be spoken. Her hearing is just fine despite her southern “French” accent.

14. Rock says:

The question is – was she paid for it? Given her past crimes, I just don’t see her doing something unless there’s a monetary benefit…. unless she’s just plain stupid.

15. 26Limabeans says:

A liitle bit of sign languange can get you in a lot of trouble. Especially while driving.

16. jonp says:

Probably related to Mr. Jantjie. Google it

• E4 Mafia For Life. says:

THAT was so awesome! I was reading thru the comments to see if anyone remembered that. Mandela was an asshole. His wife is famous for the Winnie Wennie Mandela Necklace where tires are thrown around a person, soaked in diesel and lit afire. The Nameless One went to mandella’s funeral yet skipped Margaret Thatchers, refused to let the last WWI veteran lay in state at the Capital, tried to close down Crapital Park so WWII vets couldn’t go to the memorials, skipped Nancy Reagan’s funeral, didn’t go to Justice Antonin Scalia’s funeral (probably suicided him), Ariel Sharon. Obam’allah deserves to be on The Wall Of Insults. He was the Commander In Chief so qualifies.

17. Hack Stone says:

Too bad Dullass was not available to translate, he did such a great job interpreting for Bernath in the courtroom.

18. MCPO NYC USN Ret. says:

All I can say is:

Snort picnic 67 hours [gibberish] jail, Pluto car battery [gibberish] monkey college … contact lobster mayor emergency ice cream [gibberish] …

19. Sapper3307 says:

She was signing for the SlerPman of Florida.

Finally! Who knew there is a market for gibber with hand gestures!! What a great opportunity for those of us fluent in it. Or with it.

Whatevs.

21. Phlegm Ron's Hash says:

Excuse me Chief Dugan, I speak jive hand.

22. Stacy0311 says:

Should’ve just hired Garret Morris to do the translation for the hearing impaired. (the old farts will get the joke, the rest of you can Google it)

23. MCPO NYC USN Ret. says:

Google this: fake sign language interpreter

Results are astounding!

24. Graybeard says:

Speachless am I

25. TacticalTrunkMonkey says:

You would think the police would have done a double take and said “HEEEEYYYY….don’t we know you?”

What did she do? Steal the identity of an interpreter?

26. Lars Taylor's Narcissism says:

She shares a common trait that Colorado’s Mad Pooper and I have. We all like to spread and leave shit where it’s not wanted.

• Daniel Bernath’s Bunghole says:

Me too….now that I’ve been dialated to the size of a basketball hoop

• Cheese Eater McBlobfish says:

I had to do that against my will. I ate so much chili pepper cheese curls the prior day that when I sat down to take a shit the next, yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaw my ass was on fiiiiire! Literally! Then I heard someone screaming before I realized that was me! My shit was burning and in flames, the toilet water was burning and in flames, and, even more concerning, my ass was burning, flames all over the place! Burning poop everywhere, it just kept coming out and burning. It was like I had a dragon’s head for an ass! The fire department didn’t help either, the moment they tried putting my ass out, the entire building containing my apartment burned!

27. docduracoat says:

Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gambol in the wade…
    The Vorpal blade did snicker snak
    Beware the Jabberwok my son!