Weekend Open Thread

| February 9, 2018 | 160 Comments

February 9, 2018

Blanket of Fog

A long exposure of 30 seconds captures the movement of winter fog in Mill Valley, California. Mill Valley is just north of San Francisco, and is home to the Mount Tamalpais, the highest point in Marin County.

Category: Open thread

1. Wilted Willy says:

AND DANIEL BERNATH IS STILL DEAD!!!

2. Skyjumper says:

Whoooooa, Roh-Dog! Dang you’re fast! Just by a hair. (smile)

Sixth, and I was busy with my own article.

Put some hair on it, willya?

4. HMC Ret says:

And Dilly Dilly to you reprobates. Let’s have a safe weekend.

5. ChipNASA says:

Sorry, I was busy dorking someone in the squeekhole.

I’m here BITCHES.

Oh and I now bow and transfer the WOT orb and sceptre to Skyjumper

6. Skippy says:

One of these days

7. Mick says:

Missed it again.

— sigh —

8. Wilted Willy says:

Amen! I hope all my friends here at TAH have a great and safe weekend! And my POS brother David “Doc” Shrum has still not been arrested! Someone Please put this fucker in jail!!!

9. Aysel says:

that was odd, fist time I clicked it took me to the story below…heh.

10. Carlton G. Long says:

top 20…a first for me

11. Skyjumper says:

Jonn, that sly fox, almost had me “First” the “February Updates from the South Pacific” when he posted it right after noon. Rascal! (smile)

12. LC says:

BRRRRRRRT! The Air Force recently released this video of an A-10 saying hello to Taliban insurgents in a vehicle:

13. Skyjumper says:

Thought that was OJ in his white Bronco again, LC.

14. old98z says:

A North Carolina man posing as a U.S. Army lieutenant general has been indicted by a federal grand jury after he went to a classified briefing and asserted authority to land a helicopter at a software company’s headquarters in Cary, North Carolina, according to a news release.
    Christian Gerald Desgroux, 57, pretended to be a lieutenant general and “engaged in transporting a person for a classified briefing and under such guise having asserted authority to land a helicopter at Statistical Analysis Systems (SAS) headquarters, located in Cary, North Carolina,” according to the release.
    The helicopter landing took place Nov. 6, 2017.
    Desgroux could face up to three years in prison and a $250,000 fine, and a term of supervised release if imprisoned.

15. Cheese Eater McBlobfish says:

Could you believe this?

I decided to hang out at the beach today, wearing just a men’s speedo swim short. It was a little tight, but I didn’t want something that could fall off.

Well, anyway, I layed down on the sand to take a nap. I was brought to a half nap when I heard the sound of a motor boat in front of my position, and someone near me talking to others. Then that someone said, “Go!”

All of a suddent, the motor boat sounded different, then I felt something grip my feet. I moved slowly in the sand. That woke me up completely. They tied my feet together, and were dragging me out to the sea!

I screamed, “Are you kidding me!”

The guy that screamed, “Go,” screamed “Stop!” The others around him screamed the same thing. I was in the water by the time the boat stoped. I was cussing and swearing when the folk came up to me to cut the rope around me feet.

They appologized for thinking that I was a beached whale! I yelled at them for not recognizing someone for having big bones. Maybe if they watched Little House in the Prairie, or Southpark, they would know that!

Cheese,
    Dennis Howard Chevalier
    Denny H. Chevalier

16. Claw says:

The smell/screams from the burning F5/F9 Keys must have been wafting in just the right direction towards TAH Headquarters today, because according to the entries posted to the Coveted Book of WOT Firsts, this is the latest time into 1300 hrs (EST) that Jonn has posted the WOT open for comments since 20 Oct 17.

Kinda one of those “North Wind-Latrine, South Wind-Mess Hall” deals./smile

17. CCO says:

And the pop-up ads on clicking are back. Please terminate with prejudice. K?

18. Sj says:

When does the does the disbarred lawyer get out of the tidewater jail? I haven’t scanned the news in awhile.

19. HMC Ret says:

Lavender Blue … The Dilly Dilly Song

20. A Proud Infidel®™ says:

45rd, TOP FIFTY and feeling nifty, I claim Honorary first once again.

((((OVER))))

21. Graybeard says:

Maybe in the top 50.
    Work getting in the way. Gotta keep the Big Boss happy – or try to.

22. Graybeard says:

With no changes from yesterday afternoon, the 2018 TAH Phony Race stands thusly:

SEALs: 8
    Green Beret/SF: 5 (1 female)
    Rangers: 5
    Marines: 5
    Vietnam: 3
    Navy UTD: 1
    Navy EOD: 1
    AF Pilot: 1 (1 female)
    Army Officer: 1
    Misc. unearned awards: 2

23. 26Limabeans says:

Not even close.
    I wrote it down on the calendar. WOT. What the hell does that mean? Couple a beers later I figured it out.

The photo up top reminds me of driving down from the Hills to work in Pomona and seeing LA poking up above the thick overnight smog bank.

• Perry Gaskill says:

I’ve been up to the top of Mt. Tam quite a few times, although it’s been awhile. It’s somewhat hard to tell because of the fog cover, but I’d be willing to bet the photo was taken in late afternoon with fog coming from the ocean. The camera is pointed northwest towards Pt. Reyes, and not southeast toward San Francisco.

As a matter of historical trivia, Pt. Reyes is where Sir Francis Drake once careened his ship for repairs in the late 1570s. This was during a circumnavigation amounting to an extended hunt for Spanish treasure galleons. For his efforts Drake was knighted by Elizabeth I of England.

There’s a good chance Drake chose to do the repairs at Pt. Reyes, and not in San Francisco Bay, because he missed the entrance to the Golden Gate. It might have been too foggy.

• 26Limabeans says:

There are some really nice National Geographic quality scenes in Maine of early morning fog with mountain tops poking through. They would be worth photographing except for the *$%#$^ windmills and scarred landscape that looks like a B52 strike follew by agent orange.

Not first, just doing my part to keep the lights on.

All quiet at the Casa de Sparky Western Annex.

But I did manage to break down and upgrade the phone today. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

25. Lurker Curt says:

Holy crap am I late to the game today!

Happy Friday!

26. Fyrfighter says:

Well damn late as hell here.. That’s what happens when you heat with firewood, and there’s snow coming.. you spend your first two days off shift hauling, cutting, and splitting firewood… speaking of which, there’s more to be done, so have a good friday all, probably be back after the sun goes down

Dinner tonight:

Roast chicken
    quartered boiled potatoes w/butter
    Peas w/onion
    carrots,celery, radishes
    Turtle cheesecake

Whatever part of the chicken doesn’t get used up tonight, gets turned into a different dish tomorrow, including soup, wonderful soup.

• AW1Ed says:

I have half a yard bird in the freezer- soup or stew tomorrow with carrots, onion, celery, S&P, sage.

• Wilted Willy says:

Oh Ex, you always make me so hungry! You could make shit on a shingle sound yummy!
      I hope you don’t have any leftovers!!

• Friend says:

Ex..
      Need receipt for Chicken Corn Chowder..I thought I saw one you posted way back😉

• Ex-PH2 says:

I don’t know if that was me or someone else, but I kind of remember that. I’ll look for a good recipe.

• Ex-PH2 says:

I found one recipe for chicken and corn chowder with bacon, so here it is:

6 slices bacon (diced)
        1/2 cup celery (diced)
        2 cups potatoes (small diced)
        1 cup onion (diced)
        1/2 cup carrot (diced)
        3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
        2 1/2 cups chicken broth
        1 teaspoon Creole seasoning or seasoned salt
        1 cup corn kernels
        1 1/2 cups half-and-half
        1 1/2 to 2 cups diced cooked chicken
        1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes

How to Make It
        Fry the bacon in a large saucepan or Dutch oven; remove to paper towels to drain.
        Add butter to bacon drippings, if necessary, to make 3 tablespoons. Add celery, potatoes, onion, and carrot.
        Saute, stirring constantly until onion and celery are tender.
        Stir in flour until well incorporated. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
        Add chicken broth and seasoning or seasoned salt, stirring to blend well. Cook, stirring until thickened. Cover and simmer for 12 minutes.
        Add the diced chicken and corn; simmer for 7 minutes longer, until vegetables are tender. Add half-and-half and tomatoes.
        Heat through and taste. Add salt and pepper, as needed.
        — Source: https://www.thespruce.com/chicken-and-corn-chowder-3053199

As always, the basic recipe is flexible enough that you can leave out something you think is unnecessary, and add your own touches to it.

28. Claw says:

February 9th, 1965.

The first full sized unit of combat troops (Marine Hawk Missile Battery) comes ashore at DaNang.

And Go……..

29. Frankie Cee says:

Update from the Florida Department of Corrections shows that <bDipshit Extraordinaire, Kyle Christopher Barwan is still at the Century Work Camp facility. I noticed on his “sheet” today that there is a click thing to “Send money to this inmate.” Bwwwwwwahahahahahaha.

30. Frankie Cee says:

Frank Fischer chose the cowards route and resigned his chair, (by phone call with the Post Commander), opting not to sit with them in a meeting and present his (lack of a) case. Post 14 American Legion West Virginia is getting a long needed clean up.

31. USMCMSgt (Ret) says:

The comments here make my laugh, and I appreciate the humor – so I reciprocate (this does NOT imply I’m making fun of the Army or combat arms – only that training sessions can be funny (the tie in as a CNN report makes it funnier)):

NSFW

32. SSG Kane says:

I was hoping to be further up in the comments than this because I’ve got a serious (to me) question. Hopefully it doesn’t get too buried in all this.

One of my directors at work, served in the Marine Corps from 1990 to 2001. He did six years active duty and four and some change years in the Marines. He was done and fully out in March of 2001.

September 11th 2001 happened. He debated re-enlisting and didn’t. His reasons were his own.

Apparently however, because I did re-enlist in 2007, and did deploy (2008) and served as a contractor (LSI 2011) and am currently still in the USAR, I made him feel bad about his decision not to go back into the service.

I’ve only spoken with teh guy a handful of times, and its only ever once been about the military. We were all invited to his “Welcome to the company” dinner and he told me he’d heard I was in the Reserves. I told him my story, he told me his, and the conversation ended with me telling him how much I admired and respected the Marines.

Anyone else run into anything like this? Apparently I was supposed to offer him absolution or something.

• AW1Ed says:

He feels guilty for not rejoining the Marines, and somehow it’s your problem? That’s wrong in a lot of ways. All I can say is document any issues and stay professional, as I’m sure you already do. If it gets too bad you can always file a hostile work environment complaint with HR, but that’s pretty much an end game move.
      Good luck.

• Graybeard says:

SSG Kane:
      Here is my take. You are not in a position to offer absolution or anything else to sooth his conscious.
      If the dude is a real Marine, he can deal with his decisions.

I have regrets about decisions I made – lots of ’em. But (a) I can’t change the past and (b) life moves on. All we can do is man up, try to do better at the next fork in the road, and accept the state of affairs we got ourselves into.

Keep it professional at work as much as possible. Kind and cordial. Nothing else you can do.

• Hondo says:

No, SSG Kane – you don’t owe them absolution. They have to live with their own decisions.

At least they appear supportive, though. It’s not easy holding your tongue when your supervisor tells you, after you advise them you’re expecting mob orders a few weeks after 9/11, “I really don’t know why you felt you had to do that.”

Yeah, that happened. Still not sure how I held my tongue, other than knowing that if I had to explain it they were obviously incapable of understanding the why.

Returned to the same organization post-mobilization. Was quite glad I didn’t have to work for that tool after I returned.

• OWB says:

You could also just take it as a one time deal, feel flattered that he considers you someone with whom he shares more than other employees/underlings, and move on out. Odds are that he will never bring it up again, and it certainly would not be appropriate for you to do so. Or he may make some obtuse reference to it in the future, but not as something you should fear, just acknowledgement of your special bond, one not shared with others.

My guess is that it’s not a big deal. However, document things just in case.

• OWB says:

Will attempt to clarify that last sentence. “No big deal” relevant to your job. Your antennae was picking up on something. Was simply trying to say, most likely not something to lose sleep over, just be aware.

33. USMCMSgt (Ret) says:

I dealt with similar situations while I was recruiting and had to turn guys like him away from time to time (i.e. prior service Marines who were clearly overweight; developed disqualifying factors (medical or criminal) and so on).

Honestly? No. You don’t need to give him absolution or make him feel better about himself. Some people wrestle with the fact they “could have” or “should have” done more. If it’s affecting him that deeply, perhaps he needs to get some counseling so he can get help re-framing things in his head.

There are reasons, known to him, why he decided to take the uniform off in March 2001 and reasons, known to him, why he didn’t create the opportunity to re-enter the military after 9/11 when there were probably several – (that is, assuming he was eligible to begin with).

As I see it, I don’t think YOU are the one who made him feel bad. I suspect he’s facing regret for decisions he made and struggles with them.

Overall, I don’t believe you’re responsible for his feelings because – at the end of the day – he needs to own up to his decisions and the consequences of them, not for you to question yours.

He can’t change the past, but he should be proud of the time he did serve, and also be proud that he supported his employees when other employers wouldn’t/didn’t or haven’t.

Others may feel differently about it, so that’s my .02 cents.

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

The fact that he is a director is no small factor, I’m guessing. Put that aside. Pretend that he was just some guy you met at a bar or a casual acquaintance. What would your response have been to the same account?

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

If it’s not apparent, my reply was to Kane.

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

Well, Kane, you have responses. Follow up to mine is this. If he was just another Joe, you might have said, “Yeah, that must have been a tough decision back then. There you were, thoroughly trained, an experienced Marine, when war came and, not having to go, you didn’t. Anything else on your mind?”

34. fsckity fsck says:

John Giduck – the turd with a face!

35. Devtun says:

Barely top 100 – maybe.

36. Holden Magroin says:

Adam Appel now of Pahoa, Hawaii and formerly of Anchorage Alaska is a real trickster. Adam Appel falsely claimed to have been an SF guy wounded by sniper fire in afghanistan. Now he doesn’t know why people report on his charities and othe rfalse claims

What Adam Appel is up to now: https://adamappelemt.wordpress.com/2018/02/04/how-did-the-investigation-into-adam-appels-fraud-begin/

Holden

Olympic time. Don’t look for me anywhere except in front of the TV for a few weeks.

Did I hear this right? One of the announcers just said that 7 of our athletes are members of the US Army?

Later, all. The US athletes are about to enter the stadium. (Yeh, know – they did that much earlier today, but now is when they are broadcasting it…)

38. MCPO NYC USN Ret. says:

137st!

39. Legans says:

As a former platoon sergeant, I can confirm most of this shit as mostly true.

Anyone beside me shoveling global warming off your front steps and sidewalk?

So far the count is:
    Thursday: 3 inches
    Friday: 6 inches
    Saturday: sunshine
    Sunday: 4 inches and still coming down

I will fix BBQ beans and smoked sausage in the crock pot for supper. And potato salad.

• AW1Ed says:

I heard on the news your AO was going to get hammered. BBQ beans and sausage sounds like a good remedy!

• Ex-PH2 says:

I do not envy the junior enlisteds at the nearby base, never mind any other base that is sharing the “warmth”. I think we’re getting more than Minot AFB.

• AW1Ed says:

If you mean Great Mistakes, I hear you. My boot company was the last one to graduate before the Christmas break, and I remember standing “Snow Watch” where we were expected to sweep the sidewalks clear. At 0200 the snow was coming in horizontally at about 40 mph; we “watched” the snow from the warmth of the stairwells in the barracks. Good times!

41. AW1Ed says:

Biancajade has chosen this special moment to beclown herself. Give her your regards at:

Saw “The 1517 to Paris” this afternoon. Pretty good. Enjoyable. Glad I saw it.

Yes, it moved pretty slow in the first part, but telling the back story of who the young men are and how they got there WAS the story. Yes, I recommend t.

This one should translate quite well to the small screen if you don’t catch it n the theater.