Weekend open thread

| April 13, 2018 | 212 Comments

April 13, 2018

New Wave

A wave forms and crashes on Lake Erie. On the boundary of Canada and the United States, Lake Erie is the second-smallest of the five Great Lakes.

Category: Open thread

1. ChipNASA says:

First!!
    WOT QUADFECTA BITCHES!!
    F5 Key MUSHROOM CLOUD!!!

2. Currahee John says:

FIRST!

3. Lurker Curt says:

FIRST TO NOT CLAIM FIRST

4. Commissioner Wretched says:

Sixth! With bowing respect to ChipNASA for his four-peat!

5. Commissioner Wretched says:

Well, friends, let’s do it again – this week’s trivia/humor column for your enjoyment. So, enjoy!

DID YOU KNOW…?
    How many of the original eight National League teams from 1876 are still playing baseball today?
    By Commissioner Wretched

Baseball season is underway!
    That has little to do with trivia, I know, but it’s my favorite season of the year, and it’s my column, so humor me.
    The first Major League game I ever saw was at Wrigley Field in Chicago, in 1966. My father took my brother and me to see the Cubs play the Atlanta Braves, during that team’s first season in the South. (Dad originally hailed from Georgia, so he was a Braves fan. And a White Sox fan, which I could never figure out.)
    What stands out most in my memory of that summer day wasn’t the game, or the players, or even that majestically beautiful ballpark.
    It was a Frosty Malt.
    If you’ve never had a Frosty Malt, you’re missing something wonderful. It’s a lot like a frozen Wendy’s Frosty, but with a definite malted milk flavoring, and if you try one, your mouth will love you for the rest of your life.
    On my most recent visit to Wrigley last summer, I again had a Frosty Malt, and they taste just as wonderful as I remember them.
    Okay, enough reminiscing. Let’s get on with the business at hand … and if you want to comment to me, send a note to didyouknowcolumn@gmail.com and I’ll be sure to answer.
    On to trivia … and pass me another Frosty Malt, please.
    Did you know …
    … cigarette smoke contains 4,800 different chemicals? Of those, 69 are known to cause cancer. (That makes 4,800 more good reasons to quit smoking!)
    … famed composer Felix Mendelssohn wrote his classic overture, “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” when he was seventeen years old? (Quite the dreamer, wasn’t he?)
    … physicists at Michigan Technical University have come up with a practical method to find time travelers through the Internet? (They’ll explain this at their next meeting two weeks ago.)
    … adult mice are able to squeeze their bodies through openings the size of a dime? (Neat trick, if you ask me. Now I know how they get into the house!)
    … scientists still don’t know what causes hiccups? They know that hiccups are involuntary contractions of the diaphragm, the muscle that separates your chest and abdomen, but they don’t understand why it goes through those involuntary contractions. (One thing I never understood is why some people spell hiccup “hiccough”. But that’s just me.)
    … the letter “R” is on the left side of a standard keyboard, and “L” is on the right side? (They did that on purpose, you know, just so I could say something about it here.)
    … dolphins do not chew? Their teeth are used for grasping prey. They have no jaw muscles for chewing.
    … until the time of the Caesars, all Romans were vegetarians?  (How do they know that, I wonder?)
    … elephants love to swim? In fact, there have been many reports of elephants swimming miles from shore in the Indian Ocean.
    … the costume of the Cowardly Lion in the movie, The Wizard of Oz, was made partly from real lions? (If I were king of the forest…)
    … salmon can jump as high as six feet? (And when they’re trying to get away from a bear looking for lunch, they can jump even higher than that!)
    … more than half of the world’s rabbits live in North America? (Bugs Bunny provided that particular fact.)
    … during the War of 1812, the British fired more than 1,500 cannonballs at Fort McHenry in Baltimore, but the fort suffered very little damage? (Apparently, the British were very poor shots. Kind of explains the way that war ended, eh?)
    … about 115 tons of ocean spray enters the atmosphere each second? (I’m assuming most of it comes from the ocean, but what do I know?)
    … whispering is more wearing on your voice than speaking in a normal tone?
    … some people in parts of western China put salt in their tea? Those who do say it balances the flavor. (I would imagine you could achieve the same effect by making tea with sea water.)
    … only two baseball teams remain from the original National League, founded in 1876? The “original eight” were the Chicago White Stockings, the Philadelphia Athletics, the Boston Red Stockings, the Hartford Dark Blues, Mutual of New York, the St. Louis Brown Stockings, the Cincinnati Red Stockings, and the Louisville Grays. Of those, only Chicago and Boston can claim unbroken lineage – though now, they’re called the Chicago Cubs and the Atlanta Braves, respectively. (The Philadelphia and New York teams were expelled in 1877, and the Hartford, St. Louis, Cincinnati and Louisville teams folded between 1877 and 1879. The current White Sox, Red Sox and Athletics are part of the American League, formed in 1901.)
    … about 40% of all of the meals eaten daily in the United States are eaten outside the home? (And the restaurant industry is mighty glad of that, too!)
    … the most famous song in The Wizard Of Oz was almost cut from the film? MGM head Louis B. Mayer wanted to remove Judy Garland’s song “Over the Rainbow,” feeling the song hurt the flow of the story. It took the effort of Assistant Producer Arthur Freed to persuade Mayer to keep the now-classic song in the final cut. (Now that song is stuck in my head. Thanks a lot, Arthur Freed!)
    Now … you know!

6. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

11th…that’s the best I’ve done in a bit….

7. sj says:

Anyone heard from Dan?

8. Tallywhagger says:

Who’s on FIRST?

9. Haywire Angel says:

Top 20, Happy weekend and Friday the 13th!!

10. MCPO NYC USN Ret. says:

17rd!

Bernath has not been seen alive since late January.

11. MCPO NYC USN Ret. says:

Friday the 13th, I thinketh today will be a bad day for Voepel.

12. 26Limabeans says:

Twenty something.
    It’s the ad blocker.
    Can’t win with the ad blocker

13. Devtun says:

1st – 21st.

14. Graybeard says:

Working out of a new AO, I have been able to start adding the multipliers incurred by the various phonies to give a Scumbag Score for each category. For instance, every individual claiming a Stolen Valor who is also is a child molester adds a Scumbag Multiplier of x3. Then the total of these multipliers is itself multiplied by the level of the Stolen Valor Septic Tank in which it resides. For instance, since phony Beirut Bombing survivors reside on Level 9 of the Stolen Valor Septic Tank, the multiplier is x9.

TAH 2018 Phony Race

Saving the World – 19
    Gone Home – 51

Respectfully Submitted
    Graybeard

15. Yef says:

This is bullshit.
    I had the First on the real Weekend Open thread, but somebody changed the name of the thread to Fake News something. Fake news indeed.

This is a real conspiracy theory. The TAH leadership hates me, and changed the thread after I did my chicken dance.

16. ChipNASA says:

JUST FYI because it’s Friday and the Politicos usually pull some stuff late on Friday or over the weekend….(I just have a feeling is all…)

A task force of 12 U.S. ships are sailing to the area in what is an epic display of U.S. naval power.

1. USS Harry S Truman, nuclear-powered aircraft carrier
    2. USS Bulkeley, Arleigh Burke-class destroyer
    3. USS Arleigh Burke, Arleigh Burke-class destroyer (Well DUH!)
    4. USS Forrest Sherman, Arleigh Burke-class destroyer
    5. USS Georgia, an Ohio-class submarine
    6. USS John Warner, Virginia-class submarine
    7. USS Donald Cook, Arleigh Burke-class destroyer
    8. USS Porter, Arleigh Burke-class destroyer
    9. USS Carney, Arleigh Burke-class destroyer
    10. USS Laboon, Arleigh Burke-class destroyer
    11. USS Farragut, Arleigh Burke-class destroyer
    12. USS Normandy, Ticonderoga-class cruiser

• Yef says:

Why are the Ohio-class named using a different naming convention than the Virginia-class?

• ChipNASA says:

Another one of those weird Navy things that they do just to screw with the rest of us.

• AW1Ed says:

That part’s just bonus. *grin*
          Ohio class boats started life as ballistic missile subs (SSBN), and were named for states. Some, like USS Georgia, have been converted to giuded missile boats (SSGN) with room for some “special” folks. The Navy’s new Virginia class are smaller, fast attack boats (SSN) and are also generally named after states, with USS John Warner being the exception.

17. Holden Magroin says:

So, who is Adam Appel?

A reasonable person might opine that Adam Appel formerly of Anchorage Alaska and now apparently hailing from Pahoa, Hilo, Hawaii is a con man and a mouth-breather. Why so? Adam Appel has been brought to court by the Office of Elder Fraud in Alaska and allegedly issued a cease and desist by the Hawaii State Attorney General’s office for falsely claimig that his charity was tax deductible.

That said, Adam Appel has a new charty. He currently is the owner of a Street Medic charity based on an EMT skillset and license that appears to have expired(or never was issued).

In short, if poop and a lie conceived a child, it would be Adam Appel. His name is rightfully found behind “abortion” and “asswipe”. He claimed to be a fully qualified member of the US Army Special Forces and was exposed. Adam Appel then changed his story again to make himself be an 18X Specil Forces candidate. I’d guess that Adam Appel couldn’t spell “dumb” without help.

Adam Appel thinks that he really can fool all of the people all of the time. Bards won’t sing of Adam Appel’s derring-do in the future but babies will still have a viscous Adam Appel in their diaper.

Mouthbreather – thy name is Adam Appel. Hail, Adam Appel!

Holden

18. Wilted Willy says:

Happy Weekend to all my friends at TAH! First chance I had to drop by this afternoon. I have surgery scheduled next Friday, my cancer has returned yet again!

19. The Stranger says:

Top 100!
    Notional 1st!
    Aaaah…nothing like an exercise at Camp Atterbury.

20. A Proud Infidel®™ says:

52st and Honorary First once again.

((((OVER))))

21. The Other Whitey says:

54th

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

(The “small” one on McCabe, not the “Russia! Russia! Russia!” Mess.)

• Mason says:

This “lacking candor” euphemism is bothersome to me. Why can’t they just say he was lying or at least being untruthful? Saying he lacked candor just makes it seem like he misspoke. And it sounds like some old-timey ungentlemanly behavior, like what would proceed a duel after one has offended your honor.

22. MSGT Richard Deiters USMC(Retired) says:

WITHIN THE TOP 75 AGAIN.

23. Jonn Lilyea says:

By the way, Mrs. Whipple wrote and she wants everyone to know that her tits are real.

24. Just An Old Dog says:

Little Birdie said that our favorite Cheese Eating serial groom in Texas was arrested and booked into Tarrant County Jail on 2-27-18 for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
    I did a search in the jail online and didn’t see him on the roster.
    Perhaps he made bail. I know he’s not been on our radar but wondering if any other sleuths can dig up anything to verify this.

25. SGT Fon says:

and in other ground breaking news, SGT Fon just finished a load of wash and is now in the process of waiting for them to dry…

Finally have returned from forgaging and looting, and am now in possession of that rare item, a Lodge cast iron double cooker, which is a deep skillet with a lid that can be used as a griddle.

And you will never pry it from my cold, frozen hands. None of you.

• AW1Ed says:

And I thought you were going to say, “:…a deep skillet with a lid that can be used like Oddjob’s hat.”

• Ex-PH2 says:

A chapeau of many uses…. It protected the wearer and always returned to Oddjobb… until one day, when I was in boot camp, and my company and two others were escorted to an outdoor movie called ‘Goldfinger’, and I realized then that Oddjob’s bowler could be used as both an assassin’s best friend and a means of frying his brains.

I never looked at hats the same way after that.

• Mason says:

Ex, do you do all your cooking on cast iron?

Reason I ask is I was recently introduced to the joy of cast iron cookery, but with just a skillet w/ no cover. Wife was complaining about our non-stick stuff losing some of it’s teflon, and I said let’s just buy a full set of pots and pans in cast iron. Brilliant idea or misguided.

Should be noted, I do all the cooking around casa de Mason. 🙂

• OWB says:

Not Ex here, but will throw in a caution – you must be careful cooking high acid foods in cast iron until it is well seasoned. Otherwise, whether you use cast iron for everything depends upon how you cook.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Thanks for the reminder, OWB.

I read the advisory on high acid foods like tomato-based sauces (chili) on Lodge’s website. They are very explicit about how that affects the cookware. The enameled Dutch oven is more suitable for something like chili, but I won’t get that until next autumn. And I have to get simmering burner plates, also.

I think America’s Test Kitchen may have run tests on enamel-coated nonstick skillets. I have an inexpensive one that I bought at Aldi, and it seems that every cookware company is offering that option now. It is nonstick, doesn’t get chipped or impaired at all, and really is easy to clean up. It’s the durability that counts, and so far, my cheap version seems to be holding up.

Crepes with beef & mushrooms – here I come.

• OWB says:

We use cast iron for just about everything. It’s crazy here – one of the skillets is used exclusively for cornbread and pineapple upside down cake. Another for spaghetti sauce. Yes, that’s a very old one, and very well seasoned.

Some of our pans were picked up from very odd places, cost nothing, or nearly nothing, and needed heavy duty refurbishing. They work great now, but some needed a wire brush and multiple trips into a hot oven with liberal coatings of Crisco, if home rendered lard is unavailable. Yes, we use the brand name for initial seasoning and periodic rehab. No other brand seems to do as well.

• Mason says:

Thanks for the tips. I wasn’t aware about the restriction on acidic sauces. I’ll look into the enamel coating for a pan or two.

• Graybeard says:

Thou doest entice me to covet thine Lodge cast iron double cooker, for I knewest not that they did exist.

27. Frankie Cee says:

Being Friday, it is again time to offer an update on Stolen Valorist/Mega Class Pathetic Loser Kyle Christopher Barwan. Checking the Florida Department of Corrections info on Convict Number H50625, I notice that he seems to be behaving up there at the Century Florida Correctional Institution. He has gained some time off for good behavior. He must be obeying the Staff, and keeping Bubba’s “Staff” satisfied. The little bitch must have learned his “wifely duties”.

28. Frankie Cee says:

Convict Number H50625, aka Kyle Christopher Barwan has a new release date of December 29, 2018, instead of January 20, 2019, as when he went in, but he still has time to screw up and lose the good time that he has gained:

29. Frankie Cee says:

Being pretty well fed up with the goings on at Facebook, with all the “political correctness” expectations, the jailings that friends have had to suffer, and it being pretty much a liberal platform, I am trying a new social media that claims: “No Ads”, “No Data mining”, “No political correctness hassle”, and more. Many of my friends have found their way over there too. Looking it over, learning the ropes, and plan on being out of facebook in a month or two.

30. Hack Stone says:

If you happen to be in the National Capital Region next weekend, there is a beer festival next Saturday (April 21) at Nationals Park. Come on down to the 12:00 – 15:00 beer sampling and you can bask in the humor and genius of Hack Stone. Be sure to let Hack know if you will be attending so that he will have sufficient quantities of that sweet corporate swag from a proud but humble woman owned business.

31. AW1Ed says:

SIT-2, Missiles Flew!

Syria Missile Strikes

President Trump on Friday announced that he has approved military strikes in Syria against the regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

The decision follows a suspected chemical gas attack from the Assad regime on a rebel-held town near the Syrian capital last weekend.

Trump’s announcement immediately preceded reports of loud explosions lighting up the sky in Damascus.

The United States launched the response, along with assurance from France and the United Kingdom, Trump stated.

As soon as I heard on the news that strikes were approved I knew missiles were already in the air.

32. 11B-Mailclerk says:

I found this over at Ace of Spades

If this opinion is common, or even a significant minority, civil war is inevitable and approaching fast.

It is hard to read. An absolutely smarmy-convinced hard-prog, prog-splaining how they are the inevitable victors by excluding anyone else from having a say.

I did not want to believe that we were going to be dragged, again, through the abbatoir of civil war, again, by the democrats

-again-!

I was wrong.

If that link is too long to read, scroll to the bottom. Look upon the hardcore Prog-tard tyrant in civilized man clothing.

He asks that we tell him how he is doing. One clap or forty claps.

in the grand tradition of Stalin, all commentary after a speech is applause. How much do you agree Comrade? Some or lots?

That is not ignorance on his part, nor stupidity. That malevolent cretin is declaring war on America. And on most of -us-. Not just defeat is promised but extinction. Because we will be made irrelevant.

If you can’t see your trip to the camps in his words, you have your eyes closed.

We need to wake up the lefties that haven’t gone that far. Or it will be war to the knife, to the hilt.

And this injun ain’t gettin in no boxcar.

• 26Limabeans says:

“And this injun ain’t gettin in no boxcar”

Oh man you just brought back memories of the “cattle cars” at Ft. Dix BASIC.
      Guys packed in like cattle and mooing all the way back from the range.

• Perry Gaskill says:

It seems to me in order to recognize where Peter Leyden is coming from, it helps to understand how he likely fits in the post-60s counter-culture. Leyden apparently worked for Kevin Kelly at Wired, and Kelly had previously put out the iconic Whole Earth Review along with Stewart Brand, who himself was an advisor to Jerry Brown during Brown’s first stint as Governor.

So it’s not surprising that Leyden would argue that the Civil War was caused by the fact that the South was a rural agrarian economy, and the North was becoming industrialized. It’s the kind of thing a techno-fetishist would say and ignores the dynamic of states’ rights. It’s also significant that Leyden ignores the fact that a lot of the moneyed interests in California are the same technology firms he apparently worships. And they happen to be run by Democrats.

This isn’t the first time the rodeo has come around. I remember sitting in coffee houses in places like Berkeley during the ’60s and listening to some nitwit natter on about how things were going to be “come the revolution.” I thought such people were full of shit then, and can’t say things have changed all that much in the interim.

• Mason says:

This is not a national sentiment. Considering only half the country shows up to vote, I’d say most Americans simply don’t give a shit.

This is the ideology of a hateful left. If you don’t agree with them, then you’re a tired, old racist bigot.

Saying California is the model for the country is beyond idiotic. That state is so messed up. Might as well say the Soviet Union or Venezuela is the model we should follow.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Well, if he scares you, 11B, then it’s a good thing, isn’t it? Wakes you out of your complacency, or something like that.

The leftreds seem to be a counter-culture of death threats and extermination, but if they are as hate-filled as that cultist is, just how long do you think it would be until he turns that anger and hatred on himself and encourages others of like mind to do the same? If a suicide in a NYC park by a left-leaning Greenie lawyer is any indication, self-destruction is more likely than not.

If the state of California outside the two large cities (LA and SanFran) is NOT populated with people who agree with him, the civil war you implies is likely to be local.

Hasn’t TOW repeatedly said the residents OUTSIDE those two cities are not of that mindset?

And where does this clowndog think he’d find enough backup to send people off to “camps”?

We are NOT as spineless and docile as he thinks we are. Try to remember that.

• Ex-PH2 says:

I’d also like to point out that he has many FACTS wrong – completely WRONG – in that article, including the date of the Civil War.

He’s a moron.

He has no argument, nothing to back up what he says – nothing.

33. Jonn Lilyea says:

My son returns from his deployment to the sandbox tomorrow at 1PM.

34. MCPO NYC USN Ret. says:

No activity on DAB’s websites, he must be still dead!

35. MCPO NYC USN Ret. says:

FYI TAH DW’s:

1. Departing Newark for San Diego Sunday morning. Arriving at approx 1430 after a quick connect in Dallas.

2. Press conference in front of USS Midway Monday at 1100.

3. Word on the street is Voepel now being investigated by other agencies.

4. I will notify Worldwide TAH HQ PAO about what channels cover the story for Monday evening news.

4. Flying out of LAX late Tuesday night with long lay-over in Chicago, so after action will be Wednesday.

Ta ta!

Prospect Park in Brooklyn is a huge, relatively safe, and gorgeous place where folks jog and stroll, kids play, and lovers love. Yesterday, the weather was wonderful and many folks were out, enjoying the park. Those who were there early got to watch an activist lawyer (LGBTQ-RSTUVWXYZ and Global Warmer) self immolate. Ruined the grass. Stunk the place up and left a note saying something or other.

37. fsckity fsck says:

John Giduck – the turd with a face!

38. Devtun says:

Interesting piece. Mattis Task Force looking for ways to stop wasting infantry troops time w/ mundane BS. No not the DuffelBlog.

• rgr769 says:

They could start by ending this social engineering experiment that females will make good infantry troopers.

• Ex-PH2 says:

The problem with it is that it was started by the demands of whiny female officers who thought men were getting ahead faster because they were eligible for that and women weren’t.

In my view, if women WANT to be in it, know and understand what kind of hell they will be facing in warfare, and meet the real standards, they should be able to go into that field. We’ve had these arguments before, and I’ve said that repeatedly: if they want it and they qualify, and know what they’re getting into, fine, but NO SPECIAL ALLOWANCES for being female. Period.

• rgr769 says:

There are always going to be special allowances, period. How many women have the strength and endurance to pack 135 pounds of weapons ammo and gear. Then there are the ones who will be non-deployable because they are preggers. It is like saying people with palsy should be allowed to be brain surgeons if they really want it. How many women need to be broken if the standards aren’t lowered before they are. It is the same as letting trannies enlist because they are supposedly “entitled” to do so. Might as well tell the military they should enlist 60 year olds, because otherwise it would be age discrimination.
          Would you like to know how many times they would have let me recycle before I could pass as patrol leader at Ranger School. I guarantee you it wouldn’t be three like they did for the ladies. I am also thinking the Army wouldn’t have sent out a General Officer to rate me to make sure I passed on my third try. So, if you think that standards have not already been lowered so the females can pass, you are delusional.

• Ex-PH2 says:

That’s a smack in the head. Actual planning for warfare? Who’da thunk it?

Wasn’t it Sad Sack who was saddled with nearly permanent KP, peeling potatoes and scrubbing trash cans?

As for civilians doing things that military people are doing like gate duty, in the 1960s and 1970s it was AD people at the gates, with weapons, and civilians running the EM clubs and base exchanges.

Is the shooting range still there at Bolling AFB, or was it eliminated?

• Hack Stone says:

There may still be a pistol range on Bolling, but definitely no rifle range. I wonder if a stray round ever made contact with an aircraft flying into/out of Reagan Airport.

• Just An Old Dog says:

Interesting read, Mess duty had pretty much went the way of the dodo since the early 90s.
        Also Infantry units aren’t tasked any more than other units as far as FAP ( Fleet Assistance Program) goes.
        In My opinion Unit cohesion can only go so far, due to burn out. Three years in the same unit and duty station is about the max you can get before guys go nuts.

39. sj says:

This sucks. Gunny Ermey passed at 74! I loved that guy. Plus, I’m 76 so this scares the shit out of me. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/r-lee-ermey-dead-golden-globe-nominee-full-metal-jacket-was-74-1102863

I’m guessing Jonn will have a thread dedicated to him tomorrow. As for his being 74, I remind myself of this little truth: many fine men died in service and never got to experience the many years I have enjoyed. It helps me to keep perspective.

41. Claw says:

Comment #200 for this WOT.

Chip’s Four-fer makes it to the Big Show.

Raise your hand if you are reading this. Dammit.

Fuse is blown. Smoke curls from my ears. I am ruined.

One good thing. Must be a dozen or more Dickweeds and prospective Dickweeds visiting the wrong WOT, thanks to the cmts not mine. Not Chip. He’s got that F5/Control thing on auto about now.

Might as well be the first to claim LAST!!