Sacha Baron Cohen’s Stolen Valor

| July 12, 2018 | 71 Comments

Folks are coming out of the woodwork exposing Sacha Baron Cohen for his latest buffoonery pretending to be an injured veteran, complete with wheelchair, for his new show on Showtime. In this persona, Cohen interviewed Sarah Palin, Dick Cheney and former Congressman Joe Walsh.

Yesterday, Sarah Palin wrote a blog post claiming that Cohen disguised himself as a disabled veteran for an interview with her and calling Cohen’s humor “evil, exploitive, sick.” Now congressman turned radio host Joe Walsh has shared his own experience. Walsh says Cohen’s team flew him to D.C. and booked him a hotel room for a fake pro-Israel event that honored him with an award for his “Significant Contributions to the State of Israel.”

From The Hollywood Reporter;

“Out of respect for what I was led to believe would be a thoughtful discussion with someone who had served in uniform, I sat through a long ‘interview’ full of Hollywoodism’s disrespect and sarcasm — but finally had enough and literally, physically removed my mic and walked out, much to Cohen’s chagrin,” Palin elaborated. “The disrespect of our U.S. military and middle-class Americans via Cohen’s foreign commentaries under the guise of interview questions was perverse.”

Palin, who served as the ninth Governor of Alaska from 2006 until her resignation in 2009, then offered a “challenge” to Cohen, CBS and Showtime.

“Donate all proceeds to a charitable group that actually respects and supports American Vets. Mock politicians and innocent public personalities all you want, if that lets you sleep at night, but HOW DARE YOU mock those who have fought and served our country,” she wrote, adding, “Truly sick.”

Palin also claimed that “the Cohen/CBS/Showtime production team purposefully dropped my daughter and me off at the wrong Washington, DC airport after the fake interview, knowing we’d miss all flights back home to Alaska.” She added, “I wrote this off as yet another example of the sick nature that is media-slash-entertainment today.”

[…]

In a teaser for Cohen’s satirical half-hour series, released via Instagram, the comic — presumably in character — can be heard asking former Vice President Dick Cheney to sign his “waterboard kit.” Cheney is seen signing something and then jokes, “That’s the first time I’ve ever signed a waterboard.”

Of course, Showtime says that Cohen is a comedy genius “who shocks you with his audacity, bravery and inventiveness” when, in truth, he’s just another drone playing to the Hollywood crowd.

Category: Dumbass Bullshit

1. Sparks says:

I think Cohen needs a damn good beat down. I mean an old fashioned country ass whoopin’!

Then toss him into some Eurotrash country.

2. Deckie says:

I never found Cohen to be even the slightest bit amusing, or original. Seems he still lacks the talent to be either of those.

3. Trapper Frank says:

An old fashioned, Jones County, Mississippi ass whipping is in order for this turd.

• JBUSMC says:

Take him to the Grill

• Derek Zumbro says:

As someone who can proudly claim a 200-year heritage of Jones County rednecks, I’m saying you’re absolutely right. And…While we’re at it, the ridiculous figure portrayed in that horrible film “Free State of Jones” has nothing to do with reality. My direct ancestors served in the same regiment with Newt Knight (7th Miss Battalion), and the coward deserted, returned home and terrorized defenseless women and children throughout the war (when he wasn’t hiding in Leaf River/Eastabuchie swamp) when all of the able-bodied men were fighting against the northern invasion.

4. jeffro says:

He is a huge douche. A pickaxe handle might fix that.

5. SFC D says:

Trolling disabled vets is ok, publicly shaming a woman who thanked contributors to St. Jude’s because one of them is a Trump, that Wolf chick celebrating abortion, these are the people that think they know best how to run the country? I’ve seen better behaved and more talented sixth graders.

6. 26Limabeans says:

I’m not a fan of suicide but in this case…..
    PULL THE FUCKING TRIGGER!!!!

7. Jimmy Bell says:

I taken shits with more intelligence than that turd.

8. JacktheJarhead says:

This guy has never been funny. His whole schtick is to insult and embarass people. Yeah, that’s funny. Another reason not to have Showtime and I have pretty much stopped watching Network Media. Everything from the “News” to their “Edutainment” is boring, unoriginal, preachy and insulting.

9. jim h says:

i’ll give him a few lines of leeway until I see the final product. although he’s an odd duck, SBC does have a track record of two things: making humor of EVERYTHING to the point of silliness (kinda like south park that way), and skewering both sides in any conflict. if I were one of these people, id be looking for scraps of those interviews to wind up in his next movie.

to date, he’s made fun of the gay agenda (bruno), redneck/eurotrash interactions (talledega nights), hip hop culture (ali g indahouse), and European vs American nationalism and cultural misunderstanding (borat), and arab retardation (the dictator). yes, most of it is rough. all of it is crass and lacks any sense of refined sensibility. but it is intentionally over the top, and completely makes fun of every single-mindedness to any one issue. he does seem to be more interested in making fun of the powers that are, and typically uses “sympathy” characters to access them, but doesn’t typically make fun of the sympathy character itself too much. this can be seen with the gay agenda interviews in bruno, the aggrieved muzzie struggling to integrate in dictator, the wandering outsider in borat, the “common man” approach to governance of ali g, and now apparently now a wounded vet in this show. who, as a politician, is going to refuse an interview for a tv show with a wounded vet? with this approach in mind, and based on his lampooning pretty evenly all of these social groups, i’ll withhold judgment for the final version. my guess is that the left side has been or will be interviewed and didn’t or won’t realize they were being played for idiots.

FWIW, I totally loved the dictator and telledega nights. however, I cant deal with bruno or borat.

• Mason says:

I’ll agree with you jim. His thing is to do offensive things. He likes to be as offensive as possible, and he doesn’t limit that to targets on the left nor the right. Heck, he’s Jewish and in Borat did a whole anti-Jew scene.

He’s intentionally trying to be shocking. Only happy when he pisses people off. Being outraged is what he wants from people.

• Some Guy says:

At least someone gets it. A lot of commenters here seem to be unable to untangle their britches and/or think the blue collar comedy hour is the height of hilarity. SBC’s style might not be for everyone, but he is immensely talented and manages to broach serious issues with humor. I have been watching him since the Ali G show was on TV, where he somehow managed to interview many important people (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_G#Notable_people_interviewed_by_Ali_G) while in disguise, often leading to absurd interactions. True, his stuff is controversial and sometimes even hard to watch. But it often leads to genuinely hilarious moments, such as this: https://youtu.be/sc3H4UkkZgk?t=54s
      Come on, who else could trick someone into saying they care about helping people while using Mexicans as furniture? Now that’s funny, I don’t care who you are!

• jim h says:

this is right here. most people walking into the interview room should at some point realize what’s happening – but some never get the memo. and since everything is so over the top, it offends everyone equally. the gays got upset about bruno, and the dictator was banned in most all ME countries. borat lampooned both sides. ali g was beyond ridiculous and made fun of wannabes, HARD. he tackles a lot of really controversial topics, but in each of his movies, he closes with a “lesson learned” type of approach, it’s not endless insult.

his heavy-handedness is really only highlighted by the overreactions of his targets. his mockumentaries are really more like a classless this is spinal tap.

• Gary says:

Great response. Can’t believe so many

folks on here who believe the answer to their

personal frustrations is to ‘beat somebody up’

• charles w says:

He kind of reminds me of Andy Kaufman. In his later years he seemed to have pissed off everyone.

• Ex-PH2 says:

I beg to differ with those who think he is over the top. You can be extraordinarily funny without being a thoroughly obnoxious, self-involved asshole in the process of being over the top. The Monty Python group made fun of every confounded thing, including TGs and gays before this guy did, and they were funny as hell when they did it.

SBC has neither the skill nor the understanding of real tragicomic stuff at all to be able to even come up to the level of someone who could rip you a new one and make you laugh while it’s happening. Joan Rivers could do that. So could Don Rickles. Sharon Osbourne (Ozzzy’s wife) can do that without blinking an eye.

In my view, Cohen is just an attention-whoring asshole who doesn’t know when to shut the fuck up. I have never thought anything he does is funny, and this piece of crap he’s produced is included in what I said.

10. Frankie Cee says:

This is what the left calls humor.
    Count me out.

11. RGR 4-78 says:

Another celebutard proving the point.

12. John Wright says:

Cohen picked the wrong guy to pull the Boraat routine on in NYC several years ago. The guy punched Cohen out. Cohen is a wuss. Dish it out but can’t take it.

13. Dave Hardin says:

I thought all of you people were loony Trumptards…turns out this site is nothing but a bunch of Russian Bots

14. Jeff LPH 3, 63-66 says:

I never heard of this A-hole until now when I read the story and comments.

15. Pointyhead says:

If you want to be a comedian, tell a joke! Tricking people is not funny. Even Alan Funt got old quickly.

16. Old Trooper says:

Meh. Can’t get whipped up about it. I don’t watch much of anything he’s in, so I really don’t have an opinion, one way or the other, on him.

17. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

I don’t find this guy funny…I tried to watch that Borat film and it was so fucking stupid I turned it off after about 5 minutes…

That said I don’t begrudge him the right to make shitty entertainment, it seems that’s mostly what Hollywood does these days…make shitty movies and reality shows for dipshits.

I’ve never been a fan of the kind of humor that is nothing more than “goofing” on people by placing them in a situation they believe to be real only to find out later they were fooled by some half-wit in a costume. Kids today call this shit trolling or some such nonsense…I call it not fucking funny…

I guess we’ll find out if anyone else thinks it’s funny by whether or not it gets renewed, no one finances a show that doesn’t sell ads or subscriptions or whatever…

18. rgr769 says:

Mocking your political opponents (anyone who is not a crypto-commie) is one of the basic tools of proggies. I think it is one of Alinksy’s Rules for Radicals. So Sacha is just being one of their useful idiots. I am sure he will now be very popular at cocktail parties in Londonistan and New Yawk.

19. 26Limabeans says:

I think the biggest “gate” he will ever make is when someone snaps his little neck on film.
    That would be worth the price of admission. Maybe. If it was HD. With Dolby™. And Bose™ speakers. And popcorn. Payday candy bar…

20. charles w says:

The main thing is now everyone is talking about him. He is front and center on Drudge and other sites. Publicity is what he wanted and now he has it.

21. Mark Lauer says:

He’s of the Andy Kaufman school of “comedy”.
    Make your audience uncomfortable until everyone in Hollywood calls you a genius.

22. Dustoff says:

Of course most, if not all of the late night host are just as big left wight imbeciles.

23. Dustoff says:

*wing…(under caffeinated misfire)

24. 5JC says:

I am probably the only one around here that found anything he ever did funny. The Ali G show I found a little funny. Cohen was destroyed during interviews with Marlin Fitzwater and James Baker which was the point of the show I think about how ignorant people are about politics. If you can find full interviews of those two they are the best of the bunch. Past that I found him to be pretty repulsive and unwatchable.

I have not seen his new show but one thing you might ask yourself based upon Cohen’s long history is whether or not he is mocking disabled vets or he is mocking people pretending to be disabled vets which is a very different thing. He has a long history with double entendre and has always been short on explanation.

25. Who ??? never heard of this dude, from what I’ve read , glad I don’t know of him…think I’ll keep it that way, no sense wasting my time finding out about him

I never understood why people watched this loser.

27. Torinojon says:

So the broad who blamed her son’s abusive tendencies on his PTSD is uspet because she didn’t like how SBC portrayed a veteran? Hmmm.

28. Private Parts says:

(((Cohen)))

Yeah, the guy has been doing the same unfunny shtick for years. It is sad he even considered this to be a good idea but then again our country is made up of morons that would eat this crap up.

I think Borat was the first movie I walked out of as the cringe was too much to bear. His other “characters” have been near clones of the last with a minor tweak to character. It stinks.