Like Buttons

| August 9, 2018 | 69 Comments

The trial period for the “Like” button plugin has expired.  Let us know what you thought about it.  It only takes a few seconds to do the  Poll.

TAH Poll

Category: Administrative

1. Claw says:

Just like last night when this post appeared and then went all Chuck Cunningham and Tina Pinciotti on us, here are my thoughts:

The Like?/Dislike?buttons never came up on my computer (Ad Blocker/Security System screwed down too tight?) so must abstain from voting.

Probably never would have used them anyway, as it sounds a little too much like Book of the Face stuff.

Just my humble opinion.

2. Skidmark says:

For what my opinion is worth, which to my employees isn’t much (lol)…I think it’s a good idea just because it’s a quick way to let someone know you got a kick out of their comment without having to comment. Like texting, it’s great and convenient when you just need to deliver a message without needing to converse.

3. Roh-Dog says:

Dunno, on the fence. It’s great to be able to acknowledge a comment without having to craft a response (sometimes the brain-housing group is INOP).
    Yet those seemingly random dislikes on comment gold are unnerving (unique set of skillz,…when I find you and I will find you…j/k).

4. 26Limabeans says:

I don’t like anybody and nobody likes me.
    Why document it?
    Oh wait…..I just did.

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

Look at it this way, 26. (I feel I know you well enough to call you by your first name.) There are those who like disliking so if, as in my case, someone hits dislike to a comment because of the commenter, they are really liking you b/c it gives them perverse joy to dislike.

• 26Limabeans says:

And that leads to post dislike depression disorder PDDD which can leave the commentor/disliker confused and not liking themselves as well.
        Perhaps the doctors office pain chart would better describe the effect of our comments.

If we really don’t care is it hypocritical to even click on the link to the poll? Double hypocritical to vote??

6. Mason says:

I liked them. If nothing else, it seemed to add a bit of levity.

7. Animal says:

I’ve got mixed feelings about them, but generally “liked” them. Get it? Can you put a like/dislike button beside the posters name? That’d add a whole new dimension. You don’t just dislike their post, you dislike them.

I abstain from this poll, because I post articles here and I like my own stuff, probably too much.

So I abstain. I will now go attend to cleaning the catbox.

I still want a middle finger button.

10. Daisy Cutter says:

I liked them. Someone already covered why – that it is easier to like than to post that we liked.

Another reason not covered is if I am in “SKIM READ” mode, I can focus in on the most popular comments.

11. 5th/77thFA says:

I thought the system crashed cause Air Cav got so many “Likes”. I “Like” to have my face in a book, usually a History or one with scantily clad female forms. Hitlery would “Like” to know at this point in time what difference does it make. I would “Like” to see her burned at the stake like the Bitch she is I “Like” good American Style home cooking; that will push my buttons.

12. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

I like the buttons, and when I like or dislike the buttons it would be great for the poster to know it was me doing the liking or the disliking…I don’t want to anonymously dislike something, that hardly seems fair. If I don’t like what you write I want you to know it was me, conversely if I like what you wrote but don’t feel I could add anything useful to the conversation I’d like you to know you left this long winded old curmudgeon with nothing to say because you’ve said it so well.

13. Gravel says:

I’m not voting for/against them as they really don’t do much. I know over the years some people have commented about having them, but Jonn never added them … for whatever reasons … and that’s just fine for me.

Caveat: I do realize (with sadness) that this site is Jonn’s legacy, but now belongs (technically) to someone else. So whatever they add or don’t add, is up to them. Honestly though, I don’t see much use for additional buttons.

14. DefendUSA says:

👍 liked

15. sbalm says:

QUESTION: If the like votes end up being 51% and the buttons are implemented, are the other 49% going to shout us down or throw eggs at us in public while we are out having dinner because they didn’t win?

16. AnotherPat says:

Please donate any leftover buttons to Idaho VFW Post 735 to repair Richard Hollingsworth’s Class A Uniform before he puts out someone’s eyes with his buttons:

17. Skyjumper says:

To “like” or “dis- like”, that is the question.
    Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
    The slings and arrows of “dis-like”
    Or to bask in the glory of “like”.

bla, bla, bla, bla…………

I’m still leaning towards the “flacid” & “fully erect” buttons.

I need more coffee.

18. rgr1480 says:

I want an edit button.

No issue with me one way or the other.

20. Denise Williams says:

I liked the like button, but the dislike button can go away, for many of the reasons above. Employing them in the moment is similar to smiling, giggling, frowning or flipping someone off in a real world conversation. So, in that sense, it brings more immediacy to the conversations and adds a level o the back and forth. But, since they are anonymous, it simultaneously impersonalizes it as well. It is the greatest criticism of this interwebbynet thing – giving the illusion of connectedness to others but it’s really still a solo experience.

Also, without the buttons, if a comment elicits enough emotion for a response and there is no button, effort is required to participate. And that participation is not anonymous, is more connectedness, is more of a conversation, requires quoting or referencing the words of another, and fosters this community feeling Jonn created. You know, the thing we’ve all come to rely on, cherish and respect.

At this point, most here have and would continue to take the time to comment, to participate, to publicly stand behind their opinions, as is required in a thread without buttons. What happens down the road when new people come and start to join in, new people who weren’t required to put their name, so to speak, behind their opinions? What happens when someone shows up who is really just a troll, but we only find out they are a troll because they are required to put their name on their opinions?

Maybe, instead of a like and dislike, we could do a “…^^this^^^…” , a “…rofl…”, a “…spew…” or “…snort…”, and/or an acronym only those who actually read and participate will understand? If nothing else, just a “like” but no “dislike”. I believe if you are going to disagree with someone, civility requires you to explain, and put your name on your reasons.

• Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

I lke that last part, which is why the buttons showing who likes/dislikes if you hover on them would put the name on there…

But I’m good with or without…

• Ex-PH2 says:

I have to agree with Denise. Someone can follow you around clicking the ‘dislike’ button with no explanation for it, so you wonder just what is going on.

If you want to disagree with someone, say so, but give your reasons. Otherwise, it’s just being a troll.

21. Jeff LPH 3, 63-66 says:

I think the like button is really Boss. I had a few likes from my corny yolks, puns and serious comments. Don’t know if I can keep it up because I switched back to oatmeal instead of yolks (eggs) in the morning. Well, maybe I can just “egg” myself on with the corny comments.

22. CDR_D says:

I chose the “I don’t care” option. It’s fine either way with me. With no like button, one can always respond with the old “+1” or variation.

23. FatCircles0311 says:

Doesn’t make navigation or responding any easier. Disqus comments would though. The commenting system on this site is beyond archaic and inefficient. I know change the old, but seriously, disqus comment system is the best out there that allows for notifications of responses.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Puh-leeeze! I get enough junk in my INbox. I don’t need more than I already have.

• Eden says:

My only concern about using Disquis is that it would make it more difficult for the admin crew here to control who can post (as they do now).

• 26Limabeans says:

“The commenting system on this site is beyond archaic and inefficient”

Perfect fit for a military themed blog.
      Slap on another coat of olive drab and put her back in service.

• Ret_25X says:

yes, disqus…let us roll with the free speech abridgers so that they can determine we are not PC enough and simply end our use of the platform.

Better a less than bleeding edge system where we are free to be who we are than a modern system run by free speech killers.

• A Proud Infidel®™️ says:

If what we have now works, why try to fix it? I personally hate Disqus!

• Dave Hardin says:

Many of us that host the back end of sites call it “Disgust”

As it evolved, they took a great product and added so much spam adverts and security loops it has become a nightmare to manage.

There are other ways to get similar results without all the headaches.

Great feedback though.

• Ex-PH2 says:

I think it’s better to employ a system that alerts you to comments posted like this one does.

Disqus is not the best choice for any blogging that is to be taken seriously.

24. Eden says:

FWIW, I like the “Like” buttons, for reasons already enumerated here.

25. aGrimm says:

NO to like/dislike (L/D) buttons (presenting my vote here per my distaste for polls).

Principally due to laziness or lack of time, L/D buttons discourage thoughtful responses and the fun repartees. Even a “me too” response to a comment is preferable to L/D buttons because invariably it adds a little something to the discussion.

I am also of the opinion that L/D buttons play insidious games with some psyches and contribute to destructive mental states such as narcissism.

There is no doubt about this site’s political leaning, which is why I come here daily. I occasionally comment with the hope to add something to the conversation or the repartee. I recognize this as a confirmation bias, therefore I also enjoy the few countervailing viewpoints because they challenge me to defend or reevaluate my bias. L/D buttons may discourage countervailing views.

Supporting my No vote is the fact that I don’t give a damn if anyone likes or dislikes my opinion. If you really like or dislike my comments, let me know why so we can discuss it. I can then determine if you are a person I would care to get to know better, or dismiss you as an idiot.

Also be secure in the knowledge that I much appreciate the education I get here. My service time was a means to an end (college) so I paid little attention to the workings of the military. Additionally, my service awards did not mean a lot. However since coming here, I recognize the inherent value of the awards and the inherent value of all the inner workings of the military. Then there are the personal military stories which bind me to you folks like Gorilla glue. It is a good feeling. L/D buttons have no value within this perspective.

• aGrimm says:

Curiously, the poll did not show on my tablet, but shows on this PC. With the way it is worded, this poll is an example of my distaste for polls :

“No, I hate them and everything should always stay the way it always was.” Translation: you are a curmudgeon poopie head if you select this choice.

“Yes, I think they are wonderful and a brilliant move.” Translation: I am Einstein, thus I must make this choice.

“I do not care, I will never care about such things, it means absolutely nothing to me.” Translation: you are an unfeeling bastard and probably a Marine. No self respecting and sensitive Army, Air Force, Navy or Coastie would be so insensitive.

26. Dwight Schwarz says:

Dave Hardin, report on Fox News as to Iraqi immigrant who shot Colorado Springs Officer as to a long criminal history and avoided deportation.

27. Garold says:

If you have a “like” button for this post I would mash it.