Brunswick County sheriff discusses crime during Hurricane Florence

| September 14, 2018 | 38 Comments

loot shoot

Never fails, some low thugs take advantage of other people’s distress and go in, looking for whatever they can grab. If anyone needs a reason for the Second Amendment, look no farther than the breakdown of law during and after a catastrophic event. Trees and power lines down, flooded roads, all make for a thief’s holiday, because EMS and LEOs simply can’t get to where they are acting out. And it’s already starting in North Carolina.

Evacuations prompted by Hurricane Florence have left homes and businesses empty and vulnerable and some people are allegedly taking advantage of the situation.

The sheriff’s office got a call about suspicious people on the south end of the county and arrested them for breaking into cars.

Later on the north end of the county, they got a report of a business break-in and arrested one person after a short chase.

Sheriff Ingram says while there is that criminal element out there looking to take advantage, the Sheriff’s Office is working hard to stop that from happening.

Even in normal times, police are minutes away. In times of duress, the LEOs/EMS who can get to you will, but it may be days. Protect what is yours with what you have.

The entire WWAY TV3 article may be viewed Here

Category: Guns

1. GDContractor says:

“Civilians don’t need AR15’s” – Beto O’rourke Democrat candidate for Texas Senate.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

Right. We need M-4s. But we have to make do with mere ARs because of the the stupidly written laws……

• Jon The Mechanic says:

An AK, an SKS, Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Smith and Wesson, Colt, I am not a bigot. I will shoot it if it is black, blue, chrome and it does not matter if it wood or polymer stock.
        I’ll even shoot a firearm if it is in Hello Kitty pink.

• Mason says:

I do enjoy arguing with anti-gun zealots who ask something like “so should people be allowed to own tanks and missiles?” when I point out the anti-government sentiment in the 2A’s core. They have this like gotcha moment which I smash by saying, “yes”.

• Ex-PH2 says:

You know, I don’t have a gun yet. I have to get some range time, figure out what I want, check my piggy bank, ask myself if I’m planning to go into a bad neighborhood at night (not) or just want something to shoot coyotes when I’m on the trail and they’re out prowling.

But bird-brained, greedy people like ol’ Bubblebutt Beto (can we say Betojuice, too?) are rapidly changing my mind. I might just go get my FOIA / CCW and buy me something that would intimidate a dinosaur. It’s a pity that my state does not allow open carry.

• AW1Ed says:

I’m sure any number of us gun nuts will fall all over ourselves with suggestions.
          It really falls into two categories- what do you want it for, and what are you comfortable with.
          I’ll assume you’re a petite lass, looking for home defense as well as something to have at hand if trouble occurs outside.
          For a wheel gun, a Lady Smith in .38 Special is a very nice piece, but limited to 5 rounds.
          There are any number of .380 semi-automatics out there. Glock 42 (with a face only a mother could love) is a good place to start.
          Try a lot out, pick what fits, practice a lot. And have fun.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

She is handy with large cast-iron skillets, which generally requires a strong hand.

1911 for walkabouts. (Grin)

Seriously, though, Ex-PH2, find one that is comfortable to your hand, that you like. Chances are, that will be the one you best shoot. If that is a .22 or a .44, so be it. Just start with mild ammo on the bigger ones until familiar with it an how you handle recoil.

The gun that is comfortable and comforting is the one you will likely use to practice, and use to defend and/or carry.

In a way, it is like shoes. You can walk in any of them. Which ones are comfortable and comforting for the types of walking you most often do? Same with a gun. Start there.

• Mick says:

Ex-PH2:

You might want to consider something along the lines of the Taurus Model 4510 Public Defender. It’s a scaled-down version of the Taurus Judge, and it’s got smaller grips that will fit small hands.

With that weapon, you’d have the capability to fire 5 rounds of .410 shotgun ammunition out of a revolver that will fit in your handbag. (It’s also chambered for .45 Long Colt ammunition.)

Might be worth looking into…

• nobunny says:

Middle-aged female who carries a gun here… My summer/light clothing carry is a Ruger LCP (.380). It’s difficult for me to conceal anything bigger.

Go with what is comfortable for you.

• RCAF-CHAIRBORNE says:

That is why my .455 Webley Mk.VI is my primary gun. It was the first centrefire I ever shot, and have a lifetime of experience with it. I am a wheelgun man. Give me a revolver over a auto-pistol any day . If .455 simply won’t do, I have my Vz58.

• HMC Ret says:

The Judge is a fine, dependable weapon. It’s my in-house hallway clearing weapon. Also have other weapons located about the house, depending on location and possible use. Carry weapon is KelTec 380; The Russian carries a Smith 38. For simplicity, you can’t beat the Smith 38 or any brand name 38. The Smith & Wesson carries a heftier price due to the name recognition, but there are many other 38s by ‘lesser’ manufacturers that are equally reliable and much less expensive. The Russian is on me for a super lightweight Smith 22 LR. I tell her it has no knockdown power but she says that is OK, as she plans to shoot them 8 times or until the weapon is empty. That’s an $800 handgun, new. For the life of my I have been unable to find a good used 22 caliber. The ‘cowboy’ 22s are available, but I don’t want one of those.
            A good bet would be to find a range that will rent a handgun and you can try them out until you find what you like. That KelTec 380 is a nice handgun as is the Smith 38.

• desert says:

Let’s hope it’s the anti gunners homes and property that are being looted, see if guns are important to them then, or maybe a neighbor with a gun….phony/hypocritical A.H.’S!

2. FatCircles0311 says:

Easy. Activate national guard. Get squads out to patrol with police with rifles. Shoot looters order. Problem solved. I bet criminals wont be traveling to the area to loot and if they do the problem solves itself.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

The “sheepdogs” are a great help.

Now, having a neighborhood of “porcupines” tends to make the sheepdogs… bored.

Once upon the aftermath of a Florida hurricane, I walked my nearly-evacuated neighborhood with a Garand at sling arms. The truck full of sketchy folks took one look and fled. The Deputy who much later pulled up, said “is that loaded?” “Yes sir.” “Good man” he said and drove off, bored I hope.

Porcupines

• Bman says:

Did the same during the Starbucks fire here in Kansas. Carried an AR instead.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

I like the ARs, too.

I have fount that the “old school” look, wood and metal, is somewhat less scary to non-gun folks.

I also tend to prefer big/heavy bullets in places where nuisance alligators are a real problem. The Garand’s .30-06 will stop a gator. A .223 has been known to skip off their surprising tough hide, or blow up shallow in the meat.

And at the time, there was a gator-filled canal across the street. -big- ones were not common, but did occasionally go walkabout. One was … impressive.

• Peter_Olinto says:

I don’t think activating the national guard to shoot looters would be wise. Firstly, what would that cost to the states tax-payers? How is the guards time on duty paid for?

Secondly, I would imagine that most business/residents have insurance to cover the losses caused by the storm damage and looters, what’s the point of paying monthly premiums?

Lastly, do you really want the image of a national guard soldier shooting civilians to be spread across the world? I don’t believe that’s the purpose of our national guard.

Let’s just leave the armed confrontation to the private citizens defending their property. That’s what the 2nd amendment is for, right? Or are you staying that you want the government to solve your domestic problems via armed confrontation?

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

As long as the looters get shot, most folks will probably be OK with it, be it private practice or government sponsored.

It tends to discourage subsequent looting, thus can be seen as a societal good. Even if it is largely “legend”.

Of course, another option is to live somewhere that having to abandon your property is an unlikely event. Sure, there are circumstances which might require that of any of us anywhere, but keeping it as a very remote possibility just makes good sense.

But, live where you wanna. Just don’t whine when your home is blown way or your business is flooded and then expect the rest of us to pay for your damage.

Hunkering down for one hurricane was enough for me.

4. 26Limabeans says:

If I ever had to flee my home it would be out to the garage but not much further. My home is my Alamo. Gotta make a last stand somewhere.
    Hell or high water.

• 5th/77thFA says:

^this^ I’m wid ya Davy! Feels like we’re already there still, some times. Save the last torch for the powder magazine.

• 11B-Mailclerk says:

Actually, my intention is to stand over my enemies’ last stand, and tell stories about how their bravery honored our victory. If that means i sneak away as they assault my booby-trapped-but-empty abode, well, jokes on them. (Grin)

Glory is nice. I prefer Victory.

5. A Proud Infidel®™️ says:

Looters in my neck of the woods would be considered as moving practice targets!

6. HMC Ret says:

I believe in my part of the Country, I would prefer to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. There is nothing I would not do to defend my family, friends, some neighbors and self.

As far as evacuation, we have great insurance, I have told the Russian that if we evacuate, upon return I don’t want to see a stick standing of this place. I’ve got great coverage, flood insurance also, pictures in SDB, etc. I would rebuild this place to my liking.