Weekend Open Thread

| October 12, 2018 | 138 Comments

On the road again (a short-notice trip to check on some friends and other family interests in an area affected by one of the recent hurricanes). Hopefully this will be a brief trip time-wise.

So today’s WOT article is a short one. This is it. (smile)

Enjoy the WOT, everyone – and the weekend too.

—–

PS: And just to p!ss off our SJW/howler monkey “friends” – have a great traditional Columbus Day, everyone. Today is the 526th Anniversary of Columbus’ initial landfall in the Americas. (smile)

Category: Open thread

1. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

Second

2. Wilted Willy says:

Eat it Dickweeds! I made first once again!
    Now, I need advice, for the past 3 weeks, I have been getting calls from some 3rd world shithole saying they are from Medicare wanting to send me a free back brace, neck, knee, ankle and foot brace! I keep telling them I don’t want one or need one but yet still they keep calling 15 to 20 times a day!! How do I stop these assholes???

• Ex-PH2 says:

Don’t answer the phone, Willy.

The calico decided to come into the house for breakfast this morning. Stuffed herself, wandered around looking at this and that, and then went back outside. It’s all I’m good for: just cat food.

• I get the same calls down here in South Florida W W and I just hang up.

• Graybeard says:

Speak German to them.

• HMC Ret says:

Long as you keep answering, they’ll keep calling. Tell them to put you on the no call list. They are obligated by law to do so by law although they probably won’t. They want two things. Your Medicare number and your doctor’s name. That way they can fax or call your doctor and tell them you are asking for whatever. Hell, the doc doesn’t care. He’ll give a verbal OK and the shit will be in the mail and charged to Medicare. Problem is the $800 back brace cost them $22. All the other crap cost 5-10% of what they charge Medicare. Tell them to fuck off. You are telling them ‘no’ in such a manner that leads them to believe if they keep calling, you will eventually cough up the info they need. They are white collar scum. You can do what we did 30 years ago. We got a phone answering machine and it answers by telling the caller to leave name and message at the tone. After a while of no reply, they might give up and quit. Or maybe not.

• Claw says:

Or even better, record the lady saying after the Be Bo, Be Do Woo (synthetic musical notes) “The number you have dialed is no longer in service” and put that on your answering machine.

It does seem to work pretty well.

• Hack Stone says:

You have several options that Hack recommends.

“This call is being recorded for legal purposes.” They usually hang up after hearing that.

“Yes, I suffer from chronic pain. I keep getting calls from assholes trying to sell me shit that I don’t need.”

When they give you their name, tell them that you went to high school with them. Then apologize for knocking up his sister.

If they call about a car warranty, tell them your car is a 1961 Studebaker.

If they are calling about end of life (funeral) Insurance, ask if have to pay it back if you become a zombie.

Have a little fun. They fucked with you, you fuck with them.

• desert says:

Buy a phone block…works good!

5th of Scotch and one cask of bourbon, and another of amontillado.

4. 26Limabeans says:

BAH!

Congrats to Wilted Willy. He da man.

5. Roh-Dog says:

Congrats WW!
    I’ll hand it over with more class then a certain party…
    Have a great weekend y’all!

6. devildog-65/85 says:

Top 15,this time.

7. Commissioner Wretched says:

Sigh … this “work” thing is keeping me from extending my number of WOT firsts. Ah, well, eating and living indoors *does* have its advantages, I suppose. So, since I missed out by almost half-an-hour on being first, I’ll console myself again with this week’s trivia column. Hope you all enjoy it!

DID YOU KNOW…?
    Did Groucho Marx once dance on Hitler’s grave?
    By Commissioner Wretched

The days are getting shorter.
    We’re now officially into the autumn of the year, and in many places the countdown to Christmas has already gotten underway.
    Which, to me, is ridiculous. We all know when Christmas comes – it comes but once a year, or so the old song tells us – and most of us are able to count the days betwixt now and then.
    And there are two other special days on the calendar from now until Christmas – Halloween and Thanksgiving. I can just picture a jack o’lantern and a turkey combining forces to make old Santa wait his turn.
    After all, who expects Christmas gifts in their Trick or Treat bag?
    Yes, the days are getting shorter, which means the nights are getting longer. Make of that what you will.
    One thing that gets better as the days get shorter is trivia, and here’s this week’s installment. E-mail me if you wish and I’ll reply.
    With however many days until the next holiday, here’s this week’s trivia!
    Did you know …
    … twice each year, there is a minute that has 61 seconds? No, the clockmakers haven’t decided to play with our minds; it’s an adjustment made to Coordinated Universal Time – the official clock of the world – in order to make it keep pace with the Earth’s rotation. A day to us is 24 hours long; to the Earth, it’s 23 hours, 59 minutes, and assorted-odd seconds. The “leap second” keeps the clocks and the Earth in synch. (As long as it doesn’t make me late – or early – for any appointments, it’s fine with me.)
    … out of the more than 3,000 people who’ve jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, 26 have survived? All of them have reported that the moment they leapt from the bridge, they regretted their action and wanted to live. (As they say, it isn’t the fall that kills you – it’s that sudden stop at the end.)
    … more than 100 waiters in Chicago once tried to poison diners? In 1918, in an apparent fit of pique over poor tipping, the waiters put “Mickey Finn” powder into the food or drinks of their customers. For the uninitiated, a Mickey Finn is something slipped into a drink, usually, that causes the imbiber to become sick or pass out. The people who made the powder and two bartenders who sold it to the waiters were also arrested. (Twenty percent, folks, twenty percent.)
    … the most accurate simulation of a human brain by a computer showed which one is really faster? In 2013, the “K” supercomputer in Japan needed 40 minutes to model one second of the activity in a human brain. (Game over; humans win.)
    … comedian Groucho Marx (1890-1977) once danced the Charleston on the grave of Adolf Hitler (1889-1945)? In 1958, Marx and his family were in Germany visiting Dornum, the hometown of his mother. After learning that the town’s Jewish cemetery had been destroyed, the comedian asked his driver to take him to Berlin. There, Marx located the ruins of the Reich Chancellery, where Hitler had taken his own life and was thought to still be buried. (He wasn’t, but that’s another story.) Marx climbed the 20 or so feet of rubble over the site of the bunker below the Chancellery, stood still for a moment, then broke into a two-minute frantic Charleston dance atop the spot where Hitler died. (Say the secret word …)
    … slugs have four noses? (What does a slug have to smell that it needs four noses, anyway?)
    … the town of Taos, New Mexico, has a hum? Some residents of the town say they can hear a low, throbbing humming sound all the time. Scientists have investigated it and have proven it exists, but they have no earthly idea of what causes it. It happens in other places around the world as well, not just in Taos. (Maybe it’s just the Earth clearing it’s throat?)
    … scientists tell us that Canada has less gravity than other parts of the world? A so-called “anti-gravity” area around Hudson’s Bay in Canada had been reported for decades, but in the 1960s the anomaly was confirmed. It wasn’t until 2017 that scientists learned that an ancient glacier weighed so much that it actually dented the surface of the Earth, literally bending gravity. It will be about 5,000 years before the Earth balances out the pull of gravity at that location. (Why can’t that happen here? I’d love to weigh less.)
    … pigeons never forget a face? If you chase one of the birds away, it will remember you, and avoid you in later encounters. (And if the pigeon owes you money, he really tries to avoid you!)
    … Russian citizens are allowed by law to identify themselves as members of any ethnicity, whether they really are that ethnicity or not? In the 2002 census, Russian citizens identified themselves as, among others: Babylonians, Romans, Goblins, Elves, Hobbits, and Martians. (That explains a lot, doesn’t it?)
    … a court dispute was once decided by a child’s game? In 2006, a U.S. District Court judge in Orlando, Florida, ordered two attorneys to settle their ongoing dispute in his courtroom by a game of rock-paper-scissors. Lest you think it was a joke, the judge said he was “deadly serious” about resolving the dispute. (Good thing he didn’t opt for a game of dodge ball, wasn’t it?)
    … the Sahara Desert in Africa is expanding? It grows at a rate of about 1 kilometer per month.
    Now … you know!

• NDHoosier says:

> scientists tell us that Canada has less gravity than other parts of the world

Does that explain why Justin Trudeau is Prime Minister?

• Ex-PH2 says:

New Mexico has a hum? That’s probably the fault of the Rio Grande Rift zone. Pun intended.

The Rio Grande Rift, the fault line that bisects the southwestern state, is bursting at the seams, pushing apart New Mexico’s borders and stretching the land around it, about 1 millimeter per year. Not a lot of movement, but a steady drip will wear away a rock, and a steady pull will split a tectonic plate open. 🙂

8. ChipNASA says:

PRESENT, YOU FUCKING FUCKS!!!
    Shit 80 and rainy last evening and woke up to 55 this morning.

HEY MOTHER NATURE, you bitch, ease into it, will ya??!?!?! Goddamn it. Sunday A.m. Frost Watch in the area.

I’M NOT READY FOR COLD YET!!!

Jesus.

OK, Bitching over.
    ….For now

😀 😀 😀 😀

9. Dennis - not chevy says:

I’ve just made another tax payment, this one to the county. I swear we will never see any tax reform until tax withholding is stopped. Make people save money throughout the year and send Sammy a check. Once moonbeam and snowflake have to make payments out of their own accounts; maybe, though I doubt it, they’ll understand why I’m tired of having everything but my imagination taxed.
    “Oh, but taxes are the dues for being a member of society and think of all the services I receive.” the limousine liberals say. If that is true, why did I get a bill for the ambulance ride after a recent car crash? Shouldn’t it have been covered by my taxes?

• NDHoosier says:

I remember years ago Rush Limbaugh saying that if withholding were ended, you would see the biggest contraction of government in the history of the world.

• Ex-PH2 says:

How about if we change the rules?

We already have plenty of laws on the books so do we really need more?

How about if anyone who gets elected to office spends one week in WDC, then is locked up in a hotel room for the remainder of the term; no phone; B&W TV on the Smurfs and Bugs Bunny old-fashioned cartoons only; three meals a day consisting of oatemal & OJ and skim milk for breakfast; baloney sandwich w/wo pickle and chips and skim milk for lunch; boiled chicken, skin on, one potato with the canned grated cheese, and peas or carrots or peas & carrots, plus one scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert; reading material: all of Heinlein’s novels, all of Dickens’ novels, and all of Georgette Heyers’ romance novels, and nothing else.

If they survive this for 2 – 4 years, they can go home. They’ll receive a pension of $1 per month, since they’re all stinking rich anyway. And no free shrinks afterward. They’ll just have to tough it out like other criminals do.

• OWB says:

They aren’t all stinkin’ rich when they get there, but somehow, they all seem to be that way when they leave.

• Ex-PH2 says:

I think that they declare their campaign funds as income and pay the tax on it. On the other hand, some of them just have money handed to them as if they were “special”. And lobbyists pay them for voting a certain way on things, so there’s that.

10. Cameron Kingsley says:

Does anyone know what happened to Guardian of Valor? Did they shut down?

• Wilted Willy says:

They must have shut down, I get no response from their web page??

• ChipNASA says:

Funny,
      I look at their Book of Face every day.
      Maybe a server issue.
      The FB is fine.

Downorjustme says they’re down.

• 26Limabeans says:

The internet is fucked up today because of some international number naming security lookup sort of techno stuff.
        I read it on Drudge.

Probably why I wasn’t FIRST!

• Perry Gaskill says:

One thing that’s apparently happened is that ICANN, who is the root of IP address to domain name translation, switched over to a new security protocol key yesterday at Noon EST. So far, there have been, according to ICANN, almost no serious failures that haven’t been corrected quickly.

One exception is that a fair portion of the techno press in India has been screaming about end-of-days doom which nobody else seems to have noticed.

Kinda gives you confidence for the next time you call up tech support and talk to a guy named Rajneesh, but goes by “Bob,” about your router problem doesn’t it?

• Fyrfighter says:

Hmm, might explain why our department email took a shit yesterday..

• Poetrooper says:

A recent Windows 10 update fried my laptop–cost me $140 to get it running again. Computer geek told me they get lots of business from Windows 10 updates crashing folks’ computers.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Is that a warning to avoid Windows 10? I will have to get a new computer some day soon, and I don’t want that kind of thing happening, period.

• Mason says:

It’s just a Windows thing in general. It’s gotten worlds better than it was 20+ years ago. When I was doing computer support 20 years ago the rule was once you got a Windows computer working well, you never touched it with updates.

It’s why I quit running Windows. All my personal stuff is either Linux or Chromebooks.

• 26Limabeans says:

I recently bought a new HP elite book with Windows 7.
              Last stable OS before touchy screen cloud storage madness was forced on everyone. I have an 8.1 machine but that is a rare bird. Win 7 is still available and used Quad core machines are cheap.

• Perry Gaskill says:

I’d agree. Win 7 Pro is very stable. There are some good deals on used machines on Ebay if you know what to look for. I tend to look for what was high-end a couple of years ago and install a new operating system from scratch to avoid a lot of the goofy cruft OEMs install as trialware or whatever.

This is currently being written on a used mini-ITX machine the size of a small cigar box. It’s hooked via HDMI to a 60-inch flatscreen and is controlled by a wireless mouse and a wireless mechanical keyboard with no number pad. Audio is piped to a separate 5.1 receiver and speakers. The sound quality adds a whole new dimension to Pandora.

Just for the hell of it, I’ve also been gathering parts lately to build a baby server with RAID 5 and four SSDs in hot-swap drive bays.

• HMC Ret says:

I started off with an IBM PC Junior, bought in 1985 or 1986. In the past 30 years I’ve had 5 windows computers. Every one sucked. Two years ago I took my Dell in and of course it needed a new hard drive. I said never again. I’ve now had an Apple MacBook Air for a few years and it hasn’t given me any problems. Apple units cost more up front but so far mine has lived up to their reputation.

• Cameron Kingsley says:

Maybe their doing maintenance or restructuring.

11. AW1Ed says:

The Algore unavailable for comment.

85 Wednesday, 45 today. Whee. Welcome to fall/almost winter.

And if you can spare a moment today, say a quick prayer for the victims and survivors of the USS Cole bombing on this date back in 2000.

• AW1Ed says:

Thanks, NHSparky. That was a very bad day.

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

Seaman Apprentice Craig Bryan Wibberley of Williamsport, Maryland would never see age 20. He was among those killed. Several years ago, I stopped at a small cemetery while returning from Antietam and happened upon his grave. It was in the back of a cemetery. I was strolling, looking at headstones when I came upon Craig’s final resting place. It gave me great pause.

13. Haywire Angel says:

54 High, 27 low forecasted for today. Have a good weekend!

14. Combat Historian says:

Has anybody seen the Star Trek series now on CBS on-demand? I hear it really sucks…

• Aysel says:

My hubby watched the first three episodes, he said he couldn’t watch a show that glorified a war criminal.

• Mason says:

I gave it two or three episodes and thought it was crap. Tons of SJW BS and the Klingons don’t look like Klingons (of either the original vintage or TNG-era).

It’s like a completely different sci-fi series but they just call it Star Trek.

15. Skyjumper says:

Not first by a long shot (congrats Willy) but upright and breathing.

All of you dickweeds have a great & safe weekend, and now I’ll leave you with this little diddy to ponder:

Four chairs around a table.
    Two polar bears around an icehole.
    The name of the game is the same as the game. 😉

From the Metropolitan Museum, regarding that portrait atop the WOT:

“Painted in Rome by one of the outstanding Venetian masters of the High Renaissance, this badly damaged portrait purports to show Christopher Columbus. The inscription identifies him as “the Ligurian Colombo, the first to enter by ship into the world of the Antipodes 1519,” but the writing is not entirely trustworthy and the date 1519 means that it cannot have been painted from life, as Columbus died in 1506. There are other, quite different, portraits that also claim to show Columbus. Nonetheless, from an early date our picture became the authoritative likeness. In 1814 the painting was part of the collection of Prince Talleyrand and was exhibited at the Palais Royal in Paris.”

Jebeebus. Just look at those fingers and the subject’s 6-inch thumb! The fact that he is also displaying a gang sign did not escape me either.

17. Graybeard says:

Was substituting in a biology class today, so late to the party – again.

My biopsy results last week was very good. We are going to continue with an annual monitoring of the PSA and prostate exam until something changes.

Spent a lot of time on the phone trying to get specialists who will take my brother’s Medicaid provider. Evidently I picked a poor one. He goes on Medicare soon, so things should get better.

Got a couple of head shots at a squirrel yesterday morning, but missed. Will try again tomorrow if my allergies allow. Nice cool front came through the other day.

All you TAHellions have a good weekend, y’hear?

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

Squirrel 1
      Graybeard 0

Just drive by one. He’ll kill himself for you.

• Graybeard says:

But I want to eat the squirrel. Road kill is not fit for anything but crows and buzzards (besides being illegal to collect in Texas). The score is 1-zip so far. The season goes well into the Spring, so I’ll have a few more shots at scoring some squirrel dumplings.

I have the .22 pulling .75″ groups at 75 yards, but a head shot is still “iffy”. I had a broadside presentation, but a tree got in the way of my barrel as I tried to get on him. Had to settle for him peeking over the limb.

Hopefully get me in gear for deer season, and when it gets cooler a hog or two. (Not with a .22, with my thuddy-thuddy.)

• OWB says:

Good biopsy results. Great news. Now, just keep doing that!

• HMC Ret says:

Great news, Graybeard. I know about sweating the load, waiting for biopsy results. My skin biopsy came back yesterday and was entirely negative. I shared last week that the dermatologist said it was highly suspicious, or something like that. But I’m good to go. Good news comes in pairs. Blessings.

18. Holden Magroin says:

So, Hawaii is now tracking down AirBnB owners that don’t pay lodging taxes.

Normally, I’d view this as a bad thing but, in this case….

…our favorite grifter act-a-like, stolen valor thief, balls worker, taint taster, and mother money stealing Alaska Elder Fraud settlement chump, Adam Appel of Pahoa, HI and Anchorage, AK, also apparently is a Hawaii AirBnB host. Hawaii online tax records indicate that the house is owned by Adam Appel and his *ahem* “beautiful” squaw.

https://airbnb.com/rooms/13863011?adults=1&children=0&infants=0 (note the comments about the owner, Adam, and his photo appears in the owner photos)

With 7 bedrooms close to the beach, running a street medic non-profit (registered to the same address) must be VERY lucrative. Of course there is always the possibility of all this being ill-gotten gains from a guy that has little education, no family money other than than that sued for by hi mother in Elder Fraud court, a flimsy job history, and an outdoor “bouncy house” rental business in the year round window of available climate in Anchorage, AK.

Such a stand-up guy means that, of course, he’s paying his lodging taxes on his AirBnB rental and claiming the business that he’s running out of the same property. I guess that only time will tell….

I wouldn’t be surprised if the tax authorities and IRS have already received a packet but what do I know

Holden

• Roh-Dog says:

Remind me never to piss you off.
      What did Adam Appel of Pahoa, HI and Anchorage, AK do to get in your good graces?

• Holden Magroin says:

Adam Appel’s stolen valor was the initial reason

Further investigation showed that he had a job history of mundane jobs for a few months (despite his false heroic claims of having been been shot by a sniper in Afghanistan, he really had a railroad security guard license and other such work). He claimed to have been fired from a TSA job for failing a drug test.

Meanwhile with this job history, Adam Appel owned acreage properties in Hawaii, a number of unlicensed non-profits claiming tax deductible donations, and a bunch of high end vehicles including having ordered a rally car. Google “Adam Appel vehicles” to see the photos.

Alaska’s Elder Fraud diviin finally caught up with Adam Appel. This explained the source of funds. Adam Appel settled a claim that he’d stolen the money from his own mother. Clearly, Adam Appel is a quality individual.

The street medic non-profit is interesting as Adam Appel has previously received a cease and desist letter from the Hawaii Attorney General office for running a fake non-profit. Beware any donations to a guy that seems to have a high standard of living and no visible means of support that would enable a 7 BR AirBnB rental property other than a “non-profit” that seeks donations online.

Make sense?

Holden

• Roh-Dog says:

I googled some of his blogs… I’m glad this clown is 4 or 6 time zones away.
          Has Adam Appel of Pahoa, HI and Anchorage, AK committed any felonies, thereby prohibiting him from owning or possessing firearms?

• Adam Appel's Snot says:

I’ll also say that this will not end until Adam Appel issues an apology that contains the following points

– An apology for the stolen valor claims and an acknowledgement that falsely claiming having been an SF soldier shot by a sniper steals valor from those that really have served. Adam Appel apologized previously but again falsely claimed that he had actually failed out of the SF 18X training pipeline. The truth is that Adam Appel never served.

– An acknowledgement that Adam Appel made his false claims and apology for saying that he had a “cyberstalker that was blackmailing him”. Adam Appel made 150+ pages of false claims. These claims were captured and shared with the Alaska State Police as part of his Elder Fraud case. The volunteer investigator used his real name with the Alaska State Police investigator. Adam Appel as never contacted directly.

– An apology to Adam Appel’s mother and an acknowlegement that he misused her funds. Adam Appel now claims that the investments were actually “for his mother”. I guess that Adam Appel’s really needed that rally car.

Until the above happens and stays posted, Adam Appel will remain on our radars.

Holden

Hwy 55 Burgers Shakes and Fries is a small restaurant in West Virginia. One of its regular customers is blind so the restaurant arranged to have a Braille menu made, just for her.

Nothing follows. Nothing needs to follow.

20. fsckity fsck says:

John Giduck – the turd with a face!

21. fsckity fsck says:

Cori LeCinda Pierce – the turd who defrauds with a dog!

“They will eventually get it out of their systems”
    She doesn’t know us very well.

Oh, goody. Massive disruptions of internet service are anticipated in the near future. (It must be true – I read it on the interwebs.)

Just in case it all goes away and never comes back, it’s been great knowing y’all!

What? Well, it COULD happen…

23. Twist says:

Whatever happened to Claymore? Did Democratic Underground get too insane even for him to stomach?

24. Frankie Cee says:

The piece of shit poser and scammer, KYLE CHRISTOPHER BARWAN</b gets out of prison on November 1st. His past says that he will be on social media attempting to scam before the sun sets that day. Comments naming him will help by alerting those who look him up on Gooooooogle.

25. Frankie Cee says:

That pisser of a Hurricane, Michael, that came through the Florida Panhandle a few days ago missed me completely. No power outage, no limbs down. Biggest problem is that the gas stations have all sold out of gas and the tank farms that fill the trucks were hit and have no power to pump gas to the trucks. As it neared, I filled all the vehicles here at the farm, and am doing consolidated trips, minimizing miles driven.

26. 26Limabeans says:

Florida Vacation Seekers stay clear of
    KYLE CHRISTOPHER BARWAN

27. 26Limabeans says:

Hurricane Michael missed
    KYLE CHRISTOPHER BARWAN

28. 26Limabeans says:

Brett Kavanaugh doesn’t know
    KYLE CHRISTOPHER BARWAN of Florida

You’ll love this bit of info: a sneak attack through fundraising for flood/hurricane victims, by a Democrat senator (Nelson), who doesn’t tell his targets that it’s also meant to collect e-mail addresses for campaigns. Isn’t that clever of him?

30. HMC Ret says:

You may want to have your coffee and take some Valium prior to reading this article, which details how Oshithead, an Admiral(s) and members of Congress conspired to find guilty a Senior Chief Operator for the crime of sexual assault. That on its face is illegal. Making it even more egregious is the fact that the man was entirely innocent of the crime of sexual assault or any other crime. I’ve read extensively of this case and even written to my congressdickhead, the shit for brains Osuck and high ranking members of the military, as in flag officers. I have nothing to lose. I’ve got my retirement pay and a 214 so they can line up to kiss my ass. Few things piss me off more than people of influence colluding to ruin the career of an entirely innocent member of the military. If you’ve read any of my posts over the years, you know how I despise white collar criminals. This may not fill the definition exactly, but it’s close enough for me. So have a read and if you aren’t pissed off, you don’t have a soul. And if you want to fire off some letters, the address of all parties involved are available on the net. Also, there is 100X additional information re this matter on the net. What do you have to lose?

CRIMINAL JUSTICE
    Navy JAG, Congress and President Trump : Navy SEAL Wrongfully Convicted of Sexual Assault by JAG with Influence from Senators and the Obama White House
    Brad Bailey
    Petition By:
    Brad Bailey
    O Fallon, Missouri
    332
    In 2014, Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator (SEAL) Keith E. Barry was wrongfully convicted of sexual assault. Three years later, Rear Admiral Patrick J. Lorge (Ret.), the Convening Authority in Senior Chief Barry’s case, submitted a sworn declaration wherein he testified that he was pressured to rule contrary to the evidence and uphold Senior Chief Barry’s conviction.

As quoted by the Navy Times, Lorge stated this pressure came directly from VADM James Crawford III, former Judge Advocate General of the Navy, and as high up as the U.S. Senate and the White House. More specifically, Lorge testified that “. . . a decision to disapprove findings, regardless of merit, would bring hate and discontent on the Navy from the President, as well as senators including Senator Kirsten Gillibrand . . .” In that same article, Lorge said that then Rear Admiral Crawford expressed to him any verdict other than guilty would “ruin his career”.

Lorge expressed his concerns regarding the validity of the charges and impartiality of Senior Chief Barry’s trial, both in letters to then Judge Advocate General of the Navy, VADM Nanette M. DeRenzi, and again under oath during a Dubay hearing. Ultimately, with the pressure applied to Lorge, Senior Chief Barry was sentenced to 3 years in confinement, of which he served 2.5 years.

On 5 Sep 2018, the military’s appellate court threw out his conviction and prison sentence, contending that top legal officers concern regarding the service’s reputation for handling alleged sexual assault cases had tainted the case. In a 43-page brief reversing the lower courts’ decisions, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces dismissed the case “with prejudice,” so the government cannot renew the same charges against Senior Chief Special Warfare Operator (SEAL) Keith E. Barry.

The three JAG officers involved in the corruption, including Vice Admiral Crawford, have not been held accountable. Indeed, just days after the Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces found Vice Admiral Crawford exercised unlawful command influence over Senior Chief Barry’s case, Vice Admiral Crawford retired with full benefits.

This petition asks for a Congressional Investigation to hold accountable all parties – including Vice Admiral Crawford, U.S. Senators and the White House – that acted in furtherance of this corruption.

Sincerely, Brad Bailey

P.S.: If you want to try to have some input in the righting of an egregious miscarriage of justice, feel free to fire off some letters. In my letters, I’m asking that the admiral(s) be recalled to AD to potentially face a court martial. I’m also asking that the Senior Chief be awarded all back pay, advancement to Master Chief, that his record be totally ‘washed’ to remove all mention of the illegal charges against him and all comments regarding the case.

Jeez, I hate powerful people who use their authority in such a matter. Fuck them. OK, rant over.

31. Sapper3307 says:

I am waiting to see the Air Force list of damages for the F22 Raptures abandoned in Florida.

“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

Ever hear of National Security Letters? They are what the 9th Circuit called an administrative subpoena issued by, say, the FBI to an ISP, cell-phone carrier, or financial institution that requires the company to provide information about a user of its service. I suppose that’s as good a description as any. NSLs are not issued by a court upon submission of an affidavit. They are not issued by a court at all. What’s more, if the FBI serves a National Security Letter on a company, it can also serve notice to the company, enforceable by law, that the company shall not say anything to anyone about the NSL. After all is said and done, the FBI’s action is subject to judicial review but it, too, must keep secret the identity of the company served. Challenged cases are captioned “Under Seal v. [Actual Name], Attorney General.” Now, one might think, at first blush, that the purpose of such a law must be to ID terrorists. If it is, it has failed miserably. You see, the FBI can use it for other purposes and it has in nearly every one of the hundreds of thousands of NSLs it has issued. I may be wrong, but I believe that one or two were actually related to suspected terrorism. When was the last time you read or heard about NSLs? Do you know whether your critter voted for it? I can assure you that he or she did, both the original version of the law and its new and improved version. Reread the 4th A. and be concerned.

(Thanks to VOV for prompting me to take a peek at this.)

• rgr769 says:

These NSL’s were undoubtedly used to spy on the Trump campaign long before the first FISA warrant was issued. That abuse is what caused ADM Rodgers to go to Trump Tower to inform the President.

Regarding that 9th Circuit case I referenced, the suit was brought on the basis that the law and the FBI’s prior and indefinite (!) restraint were violative of the 1st A’s free speech provision. Such a claim invokes the highest standard of review employed by an appellate court: strict scrutiny. The employment of that standard usually sounds the death knell for the gov’t. It didn’t in this case and this was, of all circuits, the 9th. If you would like to read the 2017 case, here’s the link:

34. HMC Ret says:

AMERICAN MILITARY HISTORY!
    Many of you know where Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery is and even probably know a few people buried there.
    For me I have a few personal shipmates buried there including a few of my former bosses. I use to be station at the Submarine Base at Point Loma in the mid 90’s and use to visit this cemetery often.
    Trivia: What’s the history of Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery?
    ANSWER: Upon the grassy hilltop of Point Loma, in San Diego over looking the Submarine Base immediately below, row after row of white marble headstones dot the hillside which bears evidence of more than a century and a half of Military history.
    The origins of this hillside cemetery dates back to February 1852 when President Fillmore set aside the southern portion of Point Loma for military purposes.
    Subsequently, it was assigned to the US Army and named Fort Rosecrans, after Civil War strategist Major General William Starke Rosecrans, a 1842 graduate of the US Military Academy.
    Then, the one acre cemetery was located on the crest of the point and first was used in the 1860s as a burial-ground for the San Diego Barracks, simply known as “Post Cemetery, San Diego Barracks Point Loma”.
    When the fort was established a few years later, it became known as Fort Rosecrans Post Cemetery and was so designated until 1934 when it became Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery.
    Originally about one acre in size, it now is over forty times that size.
    Today, Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery serves as the final resting place for thousands of veterans of the Armed Forces who answered the call of duty in the nation’s service.
    Included among this number are 22 Medal of Honor recipients.
    Of the Medal recipients honored at Fort Rosecrans, three served in the Army, 12 in the Navy, and six in the Marine Corps.
    Medal recipients span military history itself, including the Indian Wars, the Spanish-American War, the US intervention in the Mexican revolution in 1914-1915, the explosion of the USS Bennington in San Diego Harbor in 1905, WWI, WWII, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and Operation Iraq Freedom.
    LEST WE FORGET!

This is how you deal with telemarketers. And remember to include the Vegas trip and the cute little Mexican midget.

• 26Limabeans says:

Talk about hooking a fish…that was great!

Years ago I was being bothered by a radio station contest line that was ringing my phone. Augusta Maine FM station.
      Listeners were constantly mis dialing and getting me. I tried to talk with the station manager in an effort to stop it but he was a dick told me to get lost.
      I got ready for the next contest and when people called and got me I went into my congratulations!!! shtick and told them to come to the station for their prize. In one case it was over a thousand dollars.
      Kept it up for a few weeks. They changed the number. The calls stopped. The station manager disappeared.
      Best setup is simple landline, unpuplished number, old desk phone with ringer removed and cheap answering machine with generic greeting, volume turned down. Bullet proof.

36. Perry Gaskill says:

Hondo, for what it’s worth, I’ve been listening lately to the Indie Folk Revival Radio channel on Pandora. It’s interesting to hear those kinds of acoustics taken up again. The sound is soft enough you might think it’s musak-elevator music at first, but give a listen and there’s a lot more. The Lumineers and Lord Huron rock…

37. Hack Stone says:

Who is up from laughs from a legendary comedian?