Weekend Open Thread

| December 7, 2018 | 184 Comments

Octavio Aburto for National Geographic.

Today’s shot is from Octavio Aburto, who took this photo for a National Geographic contest. This photo is called “David and Goliath”.

In his own words:

Many people say that a single image is worth a thousand words, but a single image can also represent thousands of data points and countless statistical analyses. One image, or a small series of images can tell a complicated story in a very simple way. – Octavio Aburto

You can read more here.

Enjoy your weekend.

Tags:

Category: Open thread

1. 5th/77th FA says:

Congrats WW, I had put it in and it wouldn’t download. Been beating my F5 like Army gonna beat Navy tomorrow. I relinquish my crown to the winner of the Coveted book of FIRSTS.

2. Tallywhagger says:

Dang, you guys are fast on the draw!

3. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

Top TEN!!

4. 5th/77th FA says:

Something glicked on the input side. I had put it in and hit post 3 times and it still wouldn’t take, this was @ 1:27 on my machine when the WOT dropped.

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

Yeah, I know, and you were home alone when it happened. All alone. With no witnesses. Is there video? Of course not? I must say, you’re in a tough spot.

• 5th/77th FA says:

Yes I was home alone, and yes I was banging away at the ol’ F5 key; well actually, no F5 key on this chromie book, it’s gotta semi circle pointy arrow thingie doohickie across the top of the qweruty numbers. Kay Kitty and Smokey both witnessed the wailing and gnashing on going.

The tough spot that I am in is in no way as tough a spot as Navy will be in this afternoon. You think my F5 key took a beating? Just wait.

goarmybeatnavy

5. MrBill says:

Alternate photo title: “Shit My Wetsuit”

6. Commissioner Wretched says:

So, since Wilted Willy managed another first in the WOT, meaning I won’t get it (again), I’ll console myself with this week’s trivia stuff. Enjoy!

DID YOU KNOW…?
    Did an episode of “Sesame Street” scare kids so badly that it was never rerun?
    By Commissioner Wretched

It’s December.
    In just a few weeks, we’ll be entering winter.
    Snow, cold, ice … all the comforts of home. (Remember that home, for me, is ‘way up north, where these things are common.)
    I’m not missing all of that, however. I do enjoy living in the South, where “snow, cold and ice” are what happens in October and April back where I come from.
    If you read the Old Farmer’s Almanac, you’ll know that the weather prognosticators have forecast a cold, wet winter season for our area. Whether that comes to pass has little to do with the Almanac – or even with that silly groundhog up in Pennsylvania – but more to do with things like solar heating, Earth’s rotation, atmospheric pressure, and all that scientific stuff like that there.
    Never mind me, though. I’m just waxing nostalgic for six feet of snow. (Hey, don’t knock it until you’ve lived in it a while.)
    Which begs the question … why, when snow and ice are in the forecast, do the stores see a run on milk and bread?
    If we do get a bad winter storm during the upcoming season, there’s one thing I know that will keep you warm and happily occupied. That’s trivia, and here’s this week’s batch, ready for you to peruse.
    You can send me an e-mail at didyouknowcolumn@gmail.com and I’ll send you a speedy reply. In the meantime, you enjoy the trivia, while I go make myself a milk sandwich before the power goes out.
    Did you know …
    … people in Siberia don’t buy their milk in bottles? Not in the winter, anyway. It’s so cold there that they purchase their milk in frozen blocks, which they take home and thaw out before putting it in bottles, pitchers, or whatever they serve it in. (Their bread comes frozen, too. Just in case.)
    … American Express issues a special credit card to its most valued customers? The Centurion or “Black Card” comes with no credit limit, and customers may purchase anything they want with it. You can’t even apply for it; you have to be invited by American Express. You have to pay your balance in full every month, too. (And you and I, and 99.99% of the people reading this column, will never qualify for one. Sad, I know.)
    … during Prohibition, moonshiners would wear shoes with special soles? The soles of the shoes left footprints shaped like cow or deer hooves. This would confuse revenue agents and prevent their being tracked back to their illegal liquor stills. (Yet more proof that good intentions – i.e., Prohibition – lead very often to bad results.)
    … hummingbirds have such a high metabolic rate, they are always just a few hours away from starving to death? (It’s gotta be the hovering and backward flying.)
    … an episode of the children’s television program Sesame Street frightened children so badly that it was never rebroadcast? In Episode 847, aired February 10, 1976, special guest Margaret Hamilton (1902-1985) reprised her classic role as the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz. Hamilton’s character lost her magic broom while flying over Sesame Street, and the youngster who found it refused to return it, concerned about the Witch’s intentions. The Witch threatened to turn the child and Big Bird into inanimate objects (Big Bird was going to be a feather duster) if the broom wasn’t given back. Only Oscar the Grouch, it seems, liked the visit from the Witch. The episode garnered so many complaints to PBS and the Children’s Television Workshop, producers of Sesame Street, that the episode was pulled from the rotation and never shown again. (Hamilton had made an appearance on Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood in 1975 to allay children’s decades-old fears of her, showing that she was only an actress playing a role, but I guess the message didn’t know “how to get to Sesame Street.”)
    … rats smile, shriek, laugh, and squirm when they’re tickled? (So do I. No, that doesn’t make me a rat. Or does it?)
    … the highest point in Pennsylvania is actually lower than the lowest point in Colorado? The Arkansas River in Colorado is that state’s lowest spot above sea level, at 14,433 feet. Compare that with Mount Davis, the high point of Pennsylvania, which rises to 11,100 feet. (Every state has its highs and lows.)
    … the European Space Agency granted $7,000 to the University of Glasgow to study space travel? Why such a small amount, you may ask? It’s because the study was to learn the possibility of using a giant slingshot to catapult stuff into space. (Boy, would I have loved to read the grant written for that one! It must’ve been written by Dennis the Menace.)
    … one ragweed plant can release more than 1 billion grains of pollen into the air? (And if you’re allergic to it, they all have your name on them.)
    … in the nation of Samoa, it is illegal for a man to forget his wife’s birthday? (It’s pretty darned dangerous everywhere else, too, but it doesn’t land you in jail.)
    … author and humorist Mark Twain (born Samuel Clemens, 1835-1910) never graduated from elementary school? (Well, neither did I. My elementary school didn’t hold graduation ceremonies, we were just promoted to a new school.)
    … the life span of an adult dragonfly is only 24 hours? (But brother, what he does with it!)
    Now … you know!

• AnotherPat says:

“author and humorist Mark Twain (born Samuel Clemens, 1835-1910) never graduated from elementary school?”

Neither did Benjamin Franklin….😉

And you know what President is on the $10O Bill…

goarmybeatnavy😎

• 5th/77th FA says:

The President of the Ben Franklin Fan Club is the president on the $100 bill. Poor fellow, never a POTUS but coulda been POT French Republic. Well maybe not, girls couldn’t vote in France then either.

“Beer is proof that God Loves us and wants us to be happy.” BF

• David says:

Better recheck the Pennsylvania Colorado post. If the lowest point in Colorado is 14,433 feet, the fo9lks in Denver at 5280+/- are really gonna wonder…

• 26Limabeans says:

Sea level depends on the tide so you might be off a wee bit.
        Global warming eeeer…Climate change will make it worse.
        And rising sea levels do not raise mountains.
        Sheesh.

• Hondo says:

Hate to break it to ya, CW – but I think the numbers in that para are WAY off.

I don’t think the lowest point in Colorado is 14,433 feet, since (as noted by another commenter) Denver’s official altitude is 5,280 feet. And the highest point in the USA east of the Mississippi is < 6,700 feet elevation (Mt Mitchell, NC – 6,684 ft).

• Poetrooper says:

Lowest point in Colorado is 3,315 feet above sea level at the Arikaree River in Yuma County, the highest low point in the nation and is higher than 18 state high points.

Mount Davis (3,213 ft or 979 m) is the highest point in Pennsylvania.

Someone’s sources are Wretched…

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

Brasstown Bald is the highest point in the State of Georgia with an Altitude of 4,784 feet, lower than Denver!

• HMC Ret says:

Flori-Duh …

What is the highest point of elevation in Florida?
        Britton Hill
        Britton Hill, in the Florida Panhandle, is the highest point in Florida, at 345 feet above sea level. It’s the lowest high point of all the state high points. Britton Hill is located in Walton County, about 1/2 mile south of the Alabama border and about 68 miles northeast of Pensacola.

• Commissioner Wretched says:

I hate it when I publish something wrong … especially when the normal sources I use say I’m right. A check on other sources tells me that I most egregiously blew this one.

I shall make a correction in a future column.

Thanks, guys … keep me on the straight and narrow!

7. SFC D says:

Sumbitch, I forgot it was Friday! Present! That mid-week day off screwed up my internal calendar.

8. ChipNASA says:

Late to the party as usual when I’m actually doing work and not flogging my F5 key.

Somethingteenth.

b> By the way, it’s December 7th

December 7th, “a date which will live in infamy”….FDR didn’t know how right he was… 35 years ago today, I enlisted.

Funny though, we all hear that quote and I even spoke to my Sainted Mother today and said “Day” and she said “Day” and we’ve been misquoting it all our lives.

FDR, even though I never met my grandfather, my Mom always says that her Dad referred to FDR as “Fuckling D Roosevelt”, anf of course, my Grandmother would always say “NOT IN FRONT OF THE CHILDREN!”.
    I never get tired of my Mom telling me that story.
    😀 😀 😀

9. AnotherPat says:

Repost:

Check out the Navy’s Uniform for this weekend’s game, honoring Bill the Goat.

“Very pretty, Colonel, Very pretty. But can they fight?”

Donald Sutherland, “Dirty Dozen”:

goarmybeatnavy

10. fsckity fsck says:

John Giduck – the turd with a face!

…and his pal Dave Grossman who has falsely claimed that he ws nomintaed for a Pulitzer Prize.

—and then there is “church facilities manager turned self proclaimed hero and active shooter consultant” Carl Chinn who the facts seem to indicate that he hid like a coward but claimed to be “right there”.

It’s like the three stooges of police trainers but living off your tax dollars and church donations

11. fsckity fsck says:

Cori LeCinda Pierce – the turd who defrauds with a dog!

“They will eventually get it out of their systems”
    She doesn’t know us very well.

12. AW1Ed says:

With the interest in the tragic Marine C-130 crash, and the questions of why wasn’t the Air Force and the Navy in lock step with maintenance procedures with a common airframe, the best answer is the Navy already got that data point. VP-47 had a similar event in 1995, forcing the crew to ditch with all four engines out. It’s an amazing story, and a tremendous feat of airmanship. Here’s the link:

VP-47 Ditching

13. MCPO NYC USN Ret. says:

38rd!

Oh, and Bernath is still dead.

MCPO OUT

14. AnotherPat says:

This will be announced at tomorrow’s Army-Navy Game:

“Trump To Name General Mark Milley To Succeed Chairman Of Joint Chiefs Of Staff General Joseph Dunford”

15. LC says:

Since every time Mueller comes up, people say, “But what about Clinton?!”, here’s some news you’ll enjoy:

The judge has ordered the government and Judicial Watch to come up with a discovery plan within 10 days. This plan should include whether the server was set up to evade FOIA requests and whether State’s initial email search constituted bad faith.

He basically says State was either incompetent or malicious, though not in those words.

• AW1Ed says:

What’s wrong with both? I like both…
      *grin*
      Thanks for posting that, LC.

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

What I like about the developing case against the Clinton Foundation is that no one was pressured or threatened by prosecutors to provide information. They came forward voluntarily. And there are said to be a lot of documents. We’ll see. I do find it curious that after Wide Load lost her considerable ass in the election, the donations to the Foundation dropped like a rock in a pond. It evidences nothing in itself but it doesn’t take a genius to suggest why those donations dropped.

• Poetrooper says:

Last summer, a local conservative talk show host in Little Rock, received a call on the air from an airport employee who reported that a large Department of Justice aircraft, he believed to be a Boeing 757, was parked on an out of the way spot on the apron while being loaded with a steady stream of file boxes from constantly arriving vehicles.

Doc Washburn, the radio host, immediately linked the file boxes to the DoJ investigation of the Clinton Foundation which has a headquarters here. Doc noted that rumors had been simmering in Arkansas for more than a year that the Feds, assisted by our hard-charging, conservative Republican AG, Leslie Rutledge, were conducting a discreet undercover operation against the Clintons. Rutledge had been spotted visiting Trump’s temporary headquarters in Trump Tower immediately after the election prompting local speculation that Trump might quietly use her Arkansas investigative resources to get at the Clintons, a possibility I wrote about at American Thinker and TAH.

After getting other callers supporting the presence of the aircraft and the file loading, Doc speculated that the document confiscation could be a more advanced stage of such combined operation.

Today when the news broke about Judge Lambreth’s ruling, Doc recalled the events of last summer and teased his listeners with the proposition that the entire Clinton cartel was about to come under federal guns, which we can only hope.

My own theory is that Trump is using the threat of prosecuting the Clintons as his Ace in the Hole against impeachment.

• 26Limabeans says:

You made me look at CNN.

• Perry Gaskill says:

We might be missing the real story about the 2016 election, and what’s actually driving the Mueller investigation.

Personally, I have no doubt the Hillary Clinton email server was used to evade FOIA requests. It might or might not have been originally set up for that, but that’s how it ended up being used. The fact the server also handled classified material is additional evidence that in Hillary’s universe, normal rules don’t apply.

Someone working on the Trump campaign would have likely been interested in Hillary’s track record as Secretary of State, and would have sought to use FOIA requests for those things which were supposed to be a matter of public record. Such as the back-room deal known as Uranium One. Since those public records were not available, it wouldn’t be a surprise if those working for Trump also sought sources of information outside normal channels by going directly to, for example, those with an inside understanding of the Russian government.

It’s always been a mystery to me why there was such a big fuss made over the Trump Tower meeting with Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya. She apparently set up the meeting with the promise that she had evidence of Hillary corruption; when she couldn’t produce such serious evidence, the meeting ended. What’s hard to understand is why anybody would think it unusual to take the meeting in the first place. If there’s evidence somebody’s political opponent should be suspected of corruption, it seems only natural to want to hear about it.

Point being that the Mueller investigation might amount, more-or-less, to an effort to distract from Hillary’s wrong doings by placing the blame on the Trump campaign for looking into them. Sometimes a good offense is the best defense.

• rgr769 says:

You nailed it Perry. That the desire to get to info on the corruption of Clinton as SOS is some kind of criminal conspiracy to subvert the election is total fabricated BS for the semi-retarded and progtards, but then that is a redundancy.

• 26Limabeans says:

Pretty much sums it up but the monster has grown deep roots and they need to be dug out. Reminds me of Colts Foot. It shows itself on the surface as medicinal salve while the evil spreads under the soil, unnoticed until the entire lawn is ruined.

16. Haywire Angel says:

Present and somewhat accounted for. Happy Weekend everyone!

17. AnotherPat says:

Sheesh….Some People…

The irony is that the Principal in the story allowed “Snowflakes”. Hmmmm…wonder why…

You should see the list of the items she banned and the ones she allowed.

So glad my kids are grown…

“Elkhorn Elementary Principal Put On Leave For Banning Santa, Candy Canes And Other Christmas Decorations:

• 5th/77th FA says:

Can’t make it up Bro. Sister had shown me this on her spaced out in you face page thingie.

YGBSM. Really surprised that (a) this happened in a Nebraska School system & (b) she ain’t already fired.

goarmyWILLbeatnavy

• rgr769 says:

Heard about this this a.m. The dimwitted prog principal claimed the candy canes were a letter “J” standing for Jesus and were, therefore, a Christian religious symbol. What a cretin; how anyone would let this moron be in charge of educating grade-schoolers is beyond me.

18. Graybeard says:

Been in bed with a cold all day at the compound. We’ve received about 3″ of rain so far, more on the way.

GoArmyBeatNavy (even if that does get me in trouble with my brother and nephew….)

• AnotherPat says:

Hope you get to feeling better, Graybeard.

Colds are nasty!🤧

Am guessing 3 inches of rain is better than 3 inches of snow? 😉

Brothers and Nephews don’t count when it comes to the Army-Navy Game. Your Son does😊.

Thank You for rooting for the best Army Football Team in the World!

Hang in there with the cold. It too shall pass (probably not fast enough).

goarmybeatnavy😎

• A Proud Infidel®™ says:

I remember hearing that as far as precipitation, six inches of snow is equal to one inch of rain, but you don’t have to shovel rain off of your driveway and sidewalk!
        goarmybeatnavy

• Graybeard says:

I’ve never lived where I’ve had to shovel snow, but some of my friends & relations have had to use sandbag barriers against flooding.

Mudding out a flooded house is no fun.

GoArmyBeatNavy!

• Graybeard says:

Thanks, AP.

Our two day total of rain in my gauge was 6.05″, with the county receiving 6-8″ depending upon area.

Spent all day yesterday in bed, most of today. Usually that will lick it.

• OWB says:

Good health cometh. Really.

Or so they say.

19. missed the WOT due to the Seitz partial lot of mechanical watch ruby jewels that came in from ebay, but the shipper wrapped the box nice with bubble wrap and put the box into the carton upside down so when I opened it, a lot of the corked vial bottles were out of their holes and I have vials with the same hole and diameter #’S but different shaped jewels so I have to match them up with a magnifier. “61”

20. LC says:

From the Cohen sentencing:

The defendant’s crime was serious. He withheld information material to the investigations of Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election being conducted by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence (“SSCI”), the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence (“HPSCI”), and the SCO. The defendant lied to Congress about a business project (the “Moscow Project”) that he worked on during the 2016 presidential campaign, while he served as Executive Vice President at a Manhattan-based real estate company (the “Company”) and as Special Counsel to the owner of the Company (“Individual 1”). The defendant admitted he told these lies—which he made publicly and in submissions to Congress—in order to (1) minimize links between the Moscow Project and Individual 1 and (2) give the false impression that the Moscow Project had ended before the Iowa caucus and the first presidential primaries, in hopes of limiting the ongoing Russia investigations being conducted by Congress and the SCO.

Apparently the Manafort filing will be heavily redacted, but that doesn’t sound great for Cohen and whoever ‘Individual 1’ might possibly be.

• David says:

Depends on whether “individual 1” knew, and can be proven to have known, he was being ‘helped’.

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

“The defendant’s crime was serious.” Bwahahahahahah. That’s the first line in a sentencing report signed by…Mueller. Gee, I would never have suspected that he might write the report as he did. Nothing in it says that the lying was pertinent to the actual purpose of the investigation. Yes, I read the report. Yes, I understand English. I also speak lawyerese as a 2nd language.

• OWB says:

To say nothing of the simple fact that when you know absolutely nothing about something which didn’t happen, what CAN you say about it when pressed to do so? Seems like there has been a lot of that going around lately.

• LC says:

From the document:

For example, in or around November 2015, Cohen received the contact information for, and spoke with, a Russian national who claimed to be a “trusted person” in the Russian Federation who could offer the campaign “political synergy” and “synergy on a government level.”

Now, we’re still talking about Cohen, and you can certainly claim he’s a liar making it all up… but if not, and the campaign accepted that ‘synergy’, that’s not good.

• LC says:

And, for the record, the sentencing document does say that Cohen did not follow up on this particular offer. Because he was working with a different person who had Russian government connections (this relating to the Moscow Project).

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

I have no idea what that means, “political synergy.” I can guess but I think we’re supposed to believe that “political synergy” is conspiracy to do something illegal. It’s another cute product of this morass of an investigation and it comes from a convicted cheat and liar. Of course, if one is looking to do business, say, build a Trump Tower” in, say, Moscow, that will necessarily involve gov’t action. There is nothing unusual or nefarious in that but the crazy left media is playing this out as if Trump had said to Putin, ‘After the election, I’ll have more flexibility.’ Wait a second. That did happen, only it was Red Line and Medvedev on an open mike.

• Ex-PH2 says:

Everything I’ve found so far on Mueller’s obsession with bringing down Trump indicates that he’s willing to do ANYTHING, including getting people to perjure themselves, to “get” Trump.

And yet, that person who sold USA uranium to the Russians, kept an unsecured server in a bathroom closet handling classified materials – the list is rather long – and lost the election is still walking around – er, sort of walking around – free as a bird.

What a waste of time and tax money.

21. Holden Magroin says:

So, Hawaii is now tracking down AirBnB owners that don’t pay lodging taxes.

Normally, I’d view this as a bad thing but, in this case….

…our favorite grifter act-a-like, stolen valor thief, balls worker, taint taster, and mother money stealing Alaska Elder Fraud settlement chump, Adam Appel of Pahoa, HI and Anchorage, AK, also apparently is a Hawaii AirBnB host. Hawaii online tax records indicate that the house is owned by Adam Appel and his *ahem* “beautiful” squaw.

https://airbnb.com/rooms/13863011?adults=1&children=0&infants=0 (note the comments about the owner, Adam, and his photo appears in the owner photos)

With 7 bedrooms close to the beach, running a street medic non-profit (registered to the same address) must be VERY lucrative. Of course there is always the possibility of all this being ill-gotten gains from a guy that has little education, no family money other than than that sued for by hi mother in Elder Fraud court, a flimsy job history, and an outdoor “bouncy house” rental business in the year round window of available climate in Anchorage, AK.

Such a stand-up guy means that, of course, he’s paying his lodging taxes on his AirBnB rental and claiming the business that he’s running out of the same property. I guess that only time will tell….

I wouldn’t be surprised if the tax authorities and IRS have already received a packet but what do I know

Holden

• 5th/77th FA says:

Stay on their ass Holden. I look forward to your updates on this turd. Per the website, he’s got the AirBnB folks fooled. And the customers. However, when you are a professional con artist, it behooves you to be a smoozing sleazebag.

Most assholes, when they do get busted, have all kinds of people say; “Wow, who woulda thought, he was always so nice to us.”

• Holden Magroin says:

Here is how the investigation in Adam Appel of Anchorage Alaska and Pahoa Hawaii began: https://adamappelemt.wordpress.com/2018/02/04/how-did-the-investigation-into-adam-appels-fraud-begin/

Adam Appel continues to lead a life of relative leisure with lots of assets and seemingly not much in terms of visible means of support. What Adam doesn’t realize is that people around him know he’s BS’ing but don’t know how to discern the truth from Adam’s lies. Like many posers, the people closest to him are the ones that talk to us the most.

The Mountain Rescue Group knew that Adam was telling completely tall tales. They asked him to leave. Adam has left a trail of people in multiple states that have told us that they think he’s “dangerous” (their words, not mine). Why anyone would stay in Adm Appel’s Pahoa, HI AirBnB is beyond me.

22. A Proud Infidel®™ says:

81rd and Honorary First yet again!!

((((OVER))))

23. Tallywhagger says:

Is that a school of tuna? Mmmm, mmm, mmm, I sure do like me some tuna!

24. Twist says:

This year we decided to do something different for Christmas. This year we decided not to spend all of Christmas day cooking a giant feast at our house for the entire family we are just going to enjoy the day with my wife, the 2 kids that still live at home, and myself.

We are still doing the tradition where in the morning no presents get to be unwrapped until the wife and I get breakfast in bed. We do that because years ago the oldest daughter (who is now married and has kids of her own and is also doing that tradition) got up early and opened everybody’s presents. We will open presents and spend the rest of the day playing with our new toys and hanging out. For dinner we decided to splurge and have prime rib and crab legs.

We told the older kids instead of trying to rush between our house and their in-laws just go have dinner with the in-laws and then stop by our house to hang out a little bit and get their and the grandkids presents. I figure that this will make it less stressful all the way around and more enjoyable.

25. Thunderstixx says:

With the Christmas Season upon us I would just like to remind all of our faithful readers and writers to please remember our deployed and those spending time in hospitals, VA facilities and all over the World.
    The organization Soldiers Angels has been at this for a long time and is still one of the best charities for the Brave military members that serve us.
    Here’s the website. I’ll be donating in the name of Adam Wolff, the young Fallen Marine that was the son of a lifelong friend of mine.
    Thank you Adam Wolff, for all that you have given to those of us that still read this planet.

• Thunderstixx says:

I have to repost this. I’ve listened to this a few times throughout the week.
      I have been trying to keep my real name unknown after all the crap I give to the libidiots around here.
      But, for Adam, it’s worth not being incognito anymore…

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

Thunderstixx by any other name remains a good man. It was worth re-posting.

• 5th/77th FA says:

No matter how many times I watch this, and it has been more than several, it gets real dusty and polleny in there. As 2/17 A/C stated, it is deserving of re-posting. As many of us have, I’ve lost friends, parents, grandparents, compatriots, ect, but thankfully, never a child. Cannot imagine and do not want to find out what that is like.

Tho most of us have never and probably never will meet in person, we have that brotherhood of shared service.

I have posted my name a time or two here, not concerned about who knows me, or idiots showing up at the door. I’ve got 15 acres and a shovel. Bring it libbots and dumbasses. Old as I am, a life sentence don’t mean that much. I started posting under the unit ID, just to see if anyone else was out there that I may have served with.

26. A Terminal Lance Coolie says:

I don’t know if anyone else saw this, but it seems there may be an effort to get one of the Special Forces operators who was ambushed in Nigeria last year the Medal of Honor.

I sincerely hope SSG Weight gets the MoH. His actions, and the actions of his team that day, give true meaning to the term “Never quit.”

RIP, brothers.

27. GDContractor says:

Yesterday I stopped at a neighborhood estate sale. It was obvious that the man who had lived there for decades was a WWII veteran. Among the items for sale were his E6 chevrons, his WWII medal, a 1940 German banknote, an army pamphlet “How to transition home, after the war”, and relics from his post war career as an executive with an insurance company. The house was in shambles pretty much, due to deferred maintenance. His name was James Warner Mackey. I left his house with a deep sadness.

Later that night, after having driven several hours, I was in a both at a 24 hour diner in Paris, TX. A much older couple sat in the booth next to us and as I ate, I couldn’t help but see the that the elderly man (of the couple) was wearing a veteran ballcap denoting his Vietnam era service in the Navy aboard a LST, the USS Hickman County. We finished our meal first. I went to the cash register to pay. I paid for our meal, and for the couple who sat in the next booth. I told the cashier I was secret santa.

You dickweeds have ruint me. I used to be a tightwad Republican until I started hanging out here. Merry Christmas. And if you have a chance, do something nice for the James Warner Mackey`s before the opportunity is gone, forever.

• OWB says:

Well done, GDC. Thank you.

• HMC Ret says:

Enjoy yard sales. The pros get there early so most of the stuff that may have some value is usually gone. Not so for me several years ago. Late in day went to sale in subdivision. Lady had what was obviously a silver ashtray, hallmarked and all, for 50 cents. This was when silver was in the $30s. Was a very large ashtray. I asked her if she knew what she had, b/c I had planned to tell her about its real value. She gave me a snotty answer. So I paid her the 50 cents and then told her it had about $300in silver. She demanded it back. I gave her the socially acceptable version of ‘blow me’. She was a snot. I sold it within a few weeks for over $300, it was sterling and weighed about a pound. Doubt the hallmark would have increased value. Hell of an ROI. Snotty lady, very snotty. Score!!

Day off yesterday, my ass.

That’s all I’m gonna say about that.

Okay, the day has finally arrived. It is one of my favorite days of the year: it’s Army and it’s Navy and it’s a football game. 3:00 p.m or 1500 or X number of bells can’t come soon enough. It’s cold and dry in Philly. The over/under is 40 and Army is now a 7.5 pt favorite, but I’m having none of that. May the better team win, and by better I mean the better team this day, Saturday, 8 December 2018.

GO ARMY! BEAT NAVY!

Anybody have a bipod that attaches directly to the AR’s pic rail–that is, w/o any other piece, just the pic rail and bipod?

31. HMC Ret says:

NAVY HISTORY!
    ARMY NAVY GAME

Navy Midshipman and later Admiral, Joseph Mason Reeves wore what is widely regarded as the first football helmet in the 1893 Army–Navy Game.
    He had been advised by a Navy doctor that another kick to his head would result in “instant insanity” or even death, so he commissioned an Annapolis shoemaker to make him a helmet out of leather.
    On 27 November 1926, the Army–Navy Game was held in Chicago for the National Dedication of Soldier Field as a monument to American servicemen who had fought in World War I.
    Navy came to the game undefeated, while West Point had only lost to Notre Dame, so the game would decide the National Championship.
    Played before a crowd of over 100,000, the teams fought to a 21–21 tie, but Navy was awarded the national championship.
    In both the 1944 and 1945 contests, Army and Navy entered the game ranked #1 and #2 respectively.
    The 1945 game was labeled the “game of the century” before it was played. Army defeated a 7–0–1 Navy team 32–13. Navy’s lone tie was against Notre Dame.
    In 1963, shortly after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, Jacqueline Kennedy urged the academies to play after there had been talk of cancellation.
    Originally scheduled for 30 November 1963, the game was played on 7 December 1963 also coinciding with the 22nd anniversary of Pearl Harbor Day.
    In front of a crowd of 102,000 people in Philadelphia’s Municipal Stadium, later named John F. Kennedy Stadium, junior, second class Midshipman quarterback Roger Staubach led number two ranked Navy to victory which clinched a Cotton Bowl national championship matchup with Texas played on 1 January 1964.
    Army was led by junior, second class Cadet quarterback Rollie Stichweh.
    Stichweh led off the game with a touchdown drive that featured the first use of instant replay on television.
    Army nearly won the game after another touchdown and two point conversion,
    Stichweh recovered the onside kick and drove the ball to the Navy 2 yard line.
    On 4th down and no timeouts, crowd noise prevented Stichweh from calling a play and time expired with the 21–15 final score.
    Staubach won the Heisman Trophy that year and was bumped off the scheduled cover of Life magazine due to the coverage of the assassination.
    Stichweh and Staubach would meet again in 1964 as First Class where Stichweh’s Army would defeat Staubach’s Navy.
    Staubach went on to serve in the Navy and afterward became a Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback with the Dallas Cowboys.
    Stichweh served five years in Vietnam with the 173rd Airborne Brigade.
    Stichweh was inducted into the Army Sports Hall of Fame in 2012.

Final score:

Army 17, Navy 10

Congrats, Black Knights.

33. AnotherPat says:

Who’s Bad….

Bbwaahhaaaa…

goarmywebeatnavy

It was a GREAT Game. Navy did well. Almost tied…just as I predicted the other day.

😎

34. Devtun says:

Pulaski County, MO newspaper The Urunus Examiner shuts down after only two months. Fort Lost In The Woods is located in the county. Hondo did a piece about Urunus a little while back.

35. AnotherPat says:

This was the Awesome Intro to the Army-Navy Game.

Yes, Army won. However, we are all a Team, Brothers and Sisters in Arms.

Salute.

I don’t go for that mush. This was a football game. One team won and the other lost. Navy had me climbing the walls. I fear that had Abey not started, Army might not have won. But he did and they did. See ya next year. The date is Dec 14. Same place.

• AnotherPat says:

Ahhh, don’t be a Scrooge or Mr. Grinch, 2/17th.

It’s the Holidays. It’s Christmas.

Sometimes mush just as rivalry can be good for the soul.

The video nailed it.

Besides, you don’t want those 12 Ghosts of past Army-Navy Games to haunt, do ya?

Sincerely Yours,

The Mayor of Whoville and Tiny Tim Crachett

*bbwaahaaaa*😎goarmybeatnavyagain

• Devtun says:

Navy leads the all time series now over Army 56-52-7.

• 2/17 Air Cav says:

Yeah, Navy took 14 games in a row, from 2002 through 2015. That was a lot of suffering for us fans of the Black Knights. So I’m gonna enjoy every second of this 3rd-consecutive Army victory. In fact, I’ll be re-watching it later today. Maybe tomorrow, too.

Somebody on Oklahoma’s football team won the Heisman I read. I don’t care about that. What I care about is that the real news regarding him is that he made one or more “homophobic” comments when he was 14 or 15 and has now apologized for that. Are you shittin’ me? First, it’s unlikely he has an irrational fear of queers. Second, queers and midgets are funny, if they don’t get too close.

38. HMC Ret says:

On This Date In History, 9DEC:

9 December 1775 – American troops win their first land victory of the War for Independence at the Battle of Great Bridge, the British leave Virginia soon afterward. The Battle of Great Bridge was fought in the area of Great Bridge, Virginia. The victory by Continental Army and militia forces led to the departure of Governor Lord Dunmore and any remaining vestiges of British power from the Colony of Virginia during the early days of the conflict. Following increasing political and military tensions in early 1775, both Dunmore and rebellious Whig leaders recruited troops and engaged in a struggle for available military supplies. The struggle eventually focused on Norfolk, where Dunmore had taken refuge aboard a Royal Navy vessel. Dunmore’s forces had fortified one side of a critical river crossing south of Norfolk at Great Bridge, while Whig forces had occupied the other side. In an attempt to break up the Whig gathering, Dunmore ordered an attack across the bridge, which, based on bad information on the Whig positions, was decisively repulsed. Shortly thereafter, Norfolk, at the time a Tory center, was abandoned by Dunmore and the Tories, who fled to Royal navy ships in the harbor.