US Navy vet fighting cancer gets 10-year prison sentence in Iran

| March 17, 2019 | 34 Comments

A cancer-stricken U.S. Navy veteran from California who was first detained in Iran while visiting a girlfriend has been sentenced to 10 years in prison there on charges of insulting the country’s supreme leader and posting a photo on social media, his lawyer said Friday.

U.S. State Department officials informed the family of Michael White about the sentence after receiving the information from the Swiss government, which represents U.S. interests in Iran, said Mark Zaid, White’s attorney.

White, 46, of Imperial City, Calif., was sentenced to two years in prison for insulting the country’s top leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and 10 years for posting a private photo, Zaid said. It appeared the sentences were to run concurrently, the lawyer said, according to the New York Times.

White served in the Navy for 13 years and is believed to be the first American detained in Iran since President Trump took office. White’s family told the paper he had traveled to Iran to visit a woman he had met online.

A Navy veteran should know better than to travel to Iran for any reason…even if he is from California.  I feel bad that the man has cancer and will probably die there but if you play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

It’s bad enough when we have to risk the lives of warriors to rescue some naive do-gooder, I can not muster enough interest to go after some clown that falls for a dating scam.

Source: US Navy vet fighting cancer gets 10-year prison sentence in Iran | Fox News

Category: Iran, Politics, Veterans in the news

1. Comm Center Rat says:

There must be more to this story hiding behind his girlfriend’s hijab, niqab, and burka then is being reported.

• rgr769 says:

I think there is more to this story. I suspect Iranian intelligence saw that Segal movie and figured out his story that he was just a cook in the Navy is bogus; and he is really a SEAL on a secret mission. The girlfriend is just part of the cover story for a plan to kill the head ‘Slamonazi of the IRGC. He is just lucky he didn’t get the GSGT Brody rondevous with a consruction crane.

2. 5th/77th FA says:

I think the only thing from America that needs to be visiting Iran is a piece of equipment stored in a silo in and around Minot ND.

Won’t take but about 20 some odd minutes to get there and no need to have a return trip ticket.

3. jonp says:

Why in the flying hell is any American visiting countries like Iran, Uzbekistan, North Korea etc where they just whack you if they feel like it? I don’t have much sympathy for people that act stupid and get burned for it.

4. Animal says:

Bet Rosie never looked so good.

5. Slow Joe says:

How is that saying you guys love to repeat here in TAH?
    Something about playing stupid games and winning something.

Why the hell does an American needs an Iranian girlfriend, with so many available nice girls here in the states?

• Club Manager, USA ret. says:

Maybe she is not a “nice girl” and it was the only way he could get laid. However, a hooker has to have been cheaper than the airfare.

• Comm Center Rat says:

“Rumor spreadin’ a-’round in that Texas town
        ’bout that shack outside La Grange
        and you know what I’m talkin’ about.

Just let me know if you wanna go
        to that home out on the range
        They gotta lotta nice girls.” ~ La Grange by ZZ Top, 1973

• NHSparky says:

The other one apropos in this case goes something like, “A stiff dick has no conscience.”

Or another, equally accurate one goes, “God gave man a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to run one at a time.”

6. Ret_25X says:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes

Stupid is as stupid does

Dumb as a bag of anvils

Sharp as a bowling ball

This fool sailed right past full retard, then full potato, even full shower mold, and straight on to full limestone.

What a maroon. My heart pumps purple piss for him.

7. MustangCryppie says:

Some serious dumbassery going on here.

8. Mason says:

Wonder if the Mullahs grabbed him as a bargaining chip for negotiations with Trump? A white navy vet is a lot more sympathetic than the normal dual citizen they usually like to get.

If that was their goal, they have mistaken Trump for Redline. I doubt he’s going to go out on a limb and give them $4B for a guy who walked in willingly.

9. 26Limabeans says:

Took me a while to realize that is not his GF in the photo.

10. HMCS(FMF) ret says:

UFB… Gotta be desparate to go to Iran to hook up with a woman.

11. GDContractor says:

Lieutenant sir, I hate to tell you this, but it appears that you referenced the wrong grid coordinates for Poon Tang.

12. SgtBob says:

Hey, I met this Iranian chick on line. She said she doesn’t work for the Iranian government, so I’m flying out on Wednesday. She has a half-sister who’s Nigerian and her uncle is in the oil ministry.

• A Proud Infidel®™️ says:

Yeah but I think I gotcha beat, I’m hooking up with a Russian Girl who tells me all about the proceeds from some oil fortune, I just hafta come up with a few more bucks…

Doesn’t answer the question: how dimwitted IS this guy and how did he managed to spend even an hour on active duty?

14. AW1Ed says:

Maybe a little sympathy here? Seriously, the guy has had chemo and who knows what else to fight his cancer. And it’s not like he can bop on down to the local singles bar and hook up.

“Hi, I’m Mike and I love to dance, but the chemo kicked my ass so all I can do is watch you.” Yeah, that’ll work.

He’s not the first nor the last to fall for the the honey trap. Mess Management Specialists, or whatever they’re called now, were among my favorite people in the Navy. Just not the brightest.

Poor bastard is likely to die in an Iranian prison. Lighten up.

15. Duane says:

I’m sorry for him, but by the same token, he’s been over there several times before and had to know the political situation. Maybe it’s just my narrow minded view, but I’m not going to go traipsing around countries that hate the US, and I sure wouldn’t post something that has even a chance of being viewed improper while still in said country. My cousin did this as a “minister” when the US was booted out of the Philippines back when and got detained for 60 days (we were hoping they’d keep her, but they must have gotten tired of listening to her pratter on)

16. Jarhead says:

This morning I woke up after the previous night’s best of all orgasims in my lifetime. My hand looked at me and said, “Was it good for you too?” Unfortunate it is a bit late to share this with White. BTW, can someone please enlighten me as to the picture posted at the top of this page? Girl friend or not, what the hell is that thang hanging under his left arm? Looks like a full sized midget doll with red heels. Did he take the woman to the county fair and win the prize from the hawker who claims he can guess how horny you are and how far you’d go to get laid?

17. Veritas Omnia Vincit says:

That’s a helluva tough lesson to learn, that a piece of shit country like Iran would take a cancer stricken American hostage to use as leverage over something they want conceded by the US.

This poor bastard is a pawn’s pawn and was being used before he left CONUS.

If anyone needed a reminder, don’t date foreigners or don’t marry foreigners if you have kids and the marriage doesn’t work out it’s a fucking mess you can’t get out of easily and it will be torture when your kids are stuck in a foreign land.

Don’t hike in the mountains of Afghanistan, or the DMZ between the Koreas, don’t sail off the coast of Somalia, neither Iran or Iraq are “fun” places to visit.

As a civilian I’ve been a few places in this big world of ours, but never where I wasn’t wanted. That’s a simple lesson to learn. No matter what the liberal media tells you there is in fact tremendous evil OUTSIDE the USA…